Cable for SFP switch port?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a switch with 2 small form SFP combination ports which are supposed to support fiber cables. Looking at the cable supplier sites like, ShowMeCables.com , for multimode duplex LC type cables, none of the cable ends, or fiber couplings, look like they would interface with the SFP port. I seem to be missing something?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is an SFP module that goes into the port of the switch. You choose your SFP module then the type of fiber and connectors the SFP module is designed to transmit and receive over.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is an SFP module that goes into the port of the switch. You choose your SFP module then the type of fiber and connectors the SFP module is designed to transmit and receive over.
Something like this?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, search ebay and you'll find them for next to nothing.. spf is standard.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah, search ebay and you'll find them for next to nothing.. spf is standard.
Cisco Systems seem to be the most popular of the type and they are as you say cheaper by the dozen. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Cisco-Systems-CVR-X2-SFP-TwinGig-Convertor-Module-/381651030458?hash=item58dc2c91ba:g:UhMAAOSwY0lXSGYn

But I wonder about compatibility on both ends of the converter, with switch and cable. Is there a difference in data transfer rates for these things? Some seem VERY expensive!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A little more info and we'd be able to offer better advice.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A little more info and we'd be able to offer better advice.
OK on the switch I reviewed all the material that came with the unit and it says nothing more about the port definition other than the SFP ports are shared with the adjacent Ethernet ports. Not really relevant. I take it that the SFP port is universal with SFP+, or QSFP.

On specs for the other end of the module I only have what I thing I need/want for the cable. https://www.amazon.com/Multimode-Duplex-Fiber-Optic-Cable/dp/B001B1DV0S/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31aaduH2S6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR137,160_&refRID=FTJ9RXGTBVXFAQB5QT98
and I just noticed that this web page lists a commonly purchased item (Module) https://www.amazon.com/TL-SM311LM-Multi-mode-MiniGBIC-interface-distance/dp/B003CFATYM/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=ZWMND0KGBX2B0FN9HPQ7

What I don't know about this cable is if it is OK for underground applications? The fiber cable will only be about 60' and only about 20' underground. It is a trunk line between two switches one in each of two separate buildings. The whole system will run a maximum of 8 high resolution POE cams.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fiber is inherently waterproof and freeze resistant.. all of it should be good to bury as long as its in conduit.
They make OSP Fiber. It's cheap if you look in the right places.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They make OSP Fiber. It's cheap if you look in the right places.
The OSP cable type seems like it might be a bit of an overkill. I think with only 20' of underground, the conduit is an affordable option. However, I will check into the cost issue and maybe it could also go into the underground conduit, with a greater reliability. Just not sure about the cost benefit and availability at this point.

"Outside plant cables often have very high fiber counts, up to 288 fibers or more. Cable designs are optimized for the application: cables in conduit for pulling tension and resisting moisture, buried cables for resisting moisture and rodent damage, aerial for continuous tension and extreme weather and undersea for resisting moisture penetration. Installation requires special equipment like pullers or plows, and even trailers to carry giant spools of cable."

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score