Cable runs to NVR.

ngiovas

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to IP cameras and need some help with wiring an NVR. I currently have a wiring closet in the corner of my basement that houses all of the networking equipment. My plan was to put the NVR in this closet and run cables to the cameras from this closet.

3-4 of the cameras I plan to mount will be in or around my garage which is on the opposite side of the house. I was originally planning to run a single network cable to the garage and then have a switch with PoE capabilities to extend out to each of the cameras. Is this an option, or do I have to run individual cables from each camera back to the NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can do it...that is one of the benefits of IP cameras.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can put a switch out in the garage, but the point of having a wiring closet is to terminate everything in it.. I too have a wiring closet, with about 5 runs currently out to my garage.

Garages can be pretty harsh environments for equipment not designed for it.. even small PoE switches are typically actively cooled, meaning fans are going to suck up all the dust and grime in the garage and build up inside the switch, You need to check the spec sheets for the switches and make sure the operating temperatures are something your garage can stay within.

Cable is cheap, pull one cable out there with a string attached, then use the string to pull the next one with another string attached.. repeat until you have enough out there.

The main reason for terminating everything in your closet is so all the network equipment can run off the same UPS, and same circuit.. I dont know about you but my garage circuit is the one I trip the most, due to my power tools.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the setup that you are thinking about right now and no issues. Thinking back, I probably would've/should've run more cable out there but ti is what it is right now and works just fine.

ngiovas

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't thought about having the UPS to keep the cameras up and running if the power is out. What's a few extra cables :).

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Like @nayr said - Pull to a demarcation point.

I am always amazed that people want to short change a project. You are going to take the time, energy, money, etc to pull a line from your basement to the garage but its to difficult to pull mult lines?!? Why not just pull all 4 or 5 lines at the exact same time thus having everything home run and removing the potential points of failure? Doing this will take you little to no additional time. I've made this comment numerous times in the forum and am met with mixed responses but unless you have exsisting cable I don't see what this helps other than adding additional points of failure. A UPS in the garage with the switch does no good unless anther UPS is at the NVR etc.

ngiovas

n3wb
Reaction score
Like @nayr said - Pull to a demarcation point.

I am always amazed that people want to short change a project. You are going to take the time, energy, money, etc to pull a line from your basement to the garage but its to difficult to pull mult lines?!? Why not just pull all 4 or 5 lines at the exact same time thus having everything home run and removing the potential points of failure? Doing this will take you little to no additional time. I've made this comment numerous times in the forum and am met with mixed responses but unless you have exsisting cable I don't see what this helps other than adding additional points of failure. A UPS in the garage with the switch does no good unless anther UPS is at the NVR etc.

I don't mind pulling the extra lines, but there were two factors in my thought process of potentially running one line to the garage:

1. I don't have enough cable right now to run 4 additional lines the extra distance, so I figured it was worth asking if there is a disadvantage to running one cable before buying more cable.

2. I can't pull all of the lines at one time because the cable is on a large spool. Because it will be a very complex pull through many areas of the basement, multiple ceiling types, through joists, walls, etc. and the length of each run will likely be 100+ feet, it would be difficult to closely estimate how much cable I would need without having a large amount of waste, or risk cutting them short.

You mention a UPS in the garage, I don't think anyone ever suggested that. I was stating that having access to the UPS in the wiring closet is yet another good reason to home run the cables to the closet.

I went ahead and ordered another 1000' feet of cat5e today so I can pull the extra runs. I'm going to go ahead and put an RJ45 jack in the garage while I am at it so I can connect my networked sprinkler controller. Right now it is using a mini WiFi router to connect to my home network, but it frequently loses the connection and has to be restarted.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like good a plan, yeah pulling many cables can be a pain... I have 12 of em pulled to my office, sure I coulda put a switch in here but I have a 48 port switch and like having full speed throughput to each network device without risking saturating uplink.

having some unused ethernet cable sitting on a spool is a good thing, never know what's going to crop up.

I have a very good wifi network, yet still the only devices on it are truly wireless.. ie anything on wifi runs off batteries also.. if it can plug into the wall then i can run a cable to it one way or another.. cant beat wired ethernet for stability and reliability.

I have a large hole in the celling of my office, I cut it open to pull cables into the garage.. I've meant to seal it back up but neglected to do so, because I keep pulling more and more wires out there... eventually I might be done and patch this hole... man I love owning instead of renting, Ive got miles of wires Ive added since moving in.. I purposely went for a house design that was easy to route cables anywhere I needed em.

any place you can put a switch, you can also put a wall mount patch panel..

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I just pulled some multiple cables. I got four 250 foot spools instead of a single 1000 foot. Cost more, but made the pulling a lot easier and I have different colors.