Cam #3 and #4 are up

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a followup to my first post detailing cams 1 and 2:
Two cameras up - notes and pics included

After I made the post above, I installed a Blue Iris PC with continuous recording enabled.

Parts used:

Dahua HDW4231EM-AS 6 mm fixed starlight turret with PFA130-E waterproof junction box
Dahua HDW4231F-AS 2.8 mm starlight mini wedge with PFA-139 junction box
Samsung 128 GB Evo micro SD card x 2

After much testing and debate, I settled on a single 2.8 mm mini wedge to cover the front entry door area. It will run in color mode 24/7. The porch light in frame isn't really a problem. I actually got worse flare when I tested it on the other side. The tree below the camera is very slow growing so it won't be a problem for a while, but I'll trim it enough to allow a good view. The door faces north so the camera should never receive direct sunlight. The cameras is mounted to a PFA139 junction box.

I have it mounted 5' up and the wire goes into a closet. The conduit is mainly to protect the wire against being crushed or pulled while accessing stuff in the closet. Yes, the conduit is not straight. It was supposed to be straight, but when I drilled into the attic from below, I must have hit the end of a vertical stud because the bit just kept going and going. I finally stopped, moved over a couple of inches, and hit nothing but drywall. Oh well, nobody's going to see it.

2018-08-05 15.43.55 (Custom).jpg
front.jpg
2018-08-05 15.43.26 (Custom).jpg

The next camera covers the side gate and one living room window. The chimney prevents a camera farther back on the house (planned) from seeing this window. I chose a 6 mm lens to maximize the view of anyone coming through the gate. The camera is mounted as low as possible while punching into the attic which puts it about 8.5' up. That's higher than I would have liked, but it should still work, especially since that lets it see over the gate a bit.

Unlike the previous cameras, this one will be more exposed to rain since the roof overhang is much higher in that area. So I went with the PFA130-E junction box for more protection.

2018-08-05 17.17.12 (Custom).jpg
gate.jpg

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of replacing the camera on the gate with a 3.6 mm lens. I still want to see over the gate but also get better coverage on the window since it opens on the side closest to the camera. Now that I have the position nailed down (literally) I'll do another test with the vari-focal starlight set to 3.6 mm.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of replacing the camera on the gate with a 3.6 mm lens. I still want to see over the gate but also get better coverage on the window since it opens on the side closest to the camera. Now that I have the position nailed down (literally) I'll do another test with the vari-focal starlight set to 3.6 mm.
How will you know when the focal length equals 3.66mm?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In further testing, I decided that 3.6mm was way too wide so I wound up installing my 5231RP-Z test camera there, zoomed to 300. The last two locations have already been tested out so I shouldn't need it again. The 6mm camera will get moved to a more appropriate location.

BTW, the PFA130E waterproof junction box is living up to its name. We've gotten quite a lot of rain and wind this fall and winter and there were no signs of water intrusion when I pulled the old camera.

Here's a shot from the "new' camera:

zoom to 300 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Setting the zoom level to 140 on the 5231R-Z is very close to 3.6 mm. Zoom 500 is very close to 6 mm. This only works when using the same sensor size. Someone else on the forum did the math and posted it.
I like to see that post if you happen to know where I might find it. Thumbsmiley20.gif