Cam connects to app but drops BI connection

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a Wansview W4. I can connect via RTSP in Blue Iris and often if works fine. Sometimes thought (at least once a day), BI can't see the camera, but I can confirm it's still reachable from the Wansview app. By rebooting the camera, BI picks it up again. Suggestions to fix this please? Thanks!

(To be clear, these cameras are connected via Ethernet. Why would the app be able to see them but not blue iris?)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a Wansview W4. I can connect via RTSP in Blue Iris and often if works fine. Sometimes thought (at least once a day), BI can't see the camera, but I can confirm it's still reachable from the Wansview app. By rebooting the camera, BI picks it up again. Suggestions to fix this please? Thanks!
These wifi cams will always have these problems.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be clear, these cameras are connected via Ethernet. Why would the app be able to see them but not blue iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To be clear, these cameras are connected via Ethernet. Why would the app be able to see them but not blue iris?
There could be many reasons including the protocol being used by the app, whether the app is pulling the substream. Wansview is bottom barrel junk. To test run a stream to vlc.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There could be many reasons including the protocol being used by the app, whether the app is pulling the substream. Wansview is bottom barrel junk. To test run a stream to vlc.
Do you have a not too expensive outdoor camera you could recommend? Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think Wans supports ONVIF although I could easily be wrong about that. Star out by reading the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. Lots of good information in there but read it on a real computer. "Not too expensive" isn't very specific but here's some food for thought -

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio.

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll try onvif but how does this camera look if that doesn’t help?

4MP Outdoor Bullet PoE IP Camera, IPC-HFW4431R-Z 2.7-12mm Motorized Varifocal Lens 4X Optical Zoom, IR Night Vision 60m, H.265, Waterproof Surveillance Camera¡
These are china region dahua cameras which are not firmware upgradable and have poor sensors. Take some time to learn about cameras before tossing money away.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.