Cam Location Pic (2.8mm or 4mm)?

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roman, I have some cameras in similar spots to yours, and would definitely suggest the 4mm over the 2.8 if you're not fussed about seeing the garden. You'll get a much better view of the doorways, and be able to setup more effective motion sensing.

dalepa

Reaction score
How about using 3 - 2.8 or 4mm cams, one over each door? Not sure if you will be able to ID anyone at that angle, specially on the distant doors.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roman, I have some cameras in similar spots to yours, and would definitely suggest the 4mm over the 2.8 if you're not fussed about seeing the garden. You'll get a much better view of the doorways, and be able to setup more effective motion sensing.
Exactly what I am thinking..definitely learning towards the 4mm over the 2.8 at this point. Now I just need to narrow down some camera options:)

- - - Updated - - -

How about using 3 - 2.8 or 4mm cams, one over each door? Not sure if you will be able to ID anyone at that angle, specially on the distant doors.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not in the mood to run wire for 2 more cameras:)

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For that view if the doors are the important shot then I would do a 3mp turret or bullet with a 4mm lens. I agree that will be the better lens for the shot, and I would do a 3mp camera as you then have the option of the wider 2mp view or the more square 3mp view which I think would be your best option. The 4mp camera doe not get you the "taller" view and you only have wide to choose from, same as the 2mp only camera. I like the flexibility of the slight field of view changes the 3mp gives me as my shots may vary in the future and my camera will handle whatever location I need.

So far for me the differences in 4mp vs 3mp night mode is negligible, I have my last 14 4mp cameras sitting behind me for my next project along with some 3mp. When they are gone I'll stick to the 3mp cameras again as I have had better success with them.

Some high end cameras now have a so called hallway view, where the image is 9x16 and not the normal wide 16x9 view. This is great for hallways or shots down the side of a building where I want total side coverage but don't care about the width of the view. Be neat to get that option someday in Hik as I have many cameras that could benefit from an even taller view.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For that view if the doors are the important shot then I would do a 3mp turret or bullet with a 4mm lens. I agree that will be the better lens for the shot, and I would do a 3mp camera as you then have the option of the wider 2mp view or the more square 3mp view which I think would be your best option. The 4mp camera doe not get you the "taller" view and you only have wide to choose from, same as the 2mp only camera. I like the flexibility of the slight field of view changes the 3mp gives me as my shots may vary in the future and my camera will handle whatever location I need.

So far for me the differences in 4mp vs 3mp night mode is negligible, I have my last 14 4mp cameras sitting behind me for my next project along with some 3mp. When they are gone I'll stick to the 3mp cameras again as I have had better success with them.

Some high end cameras now have a so called hallway view, where the image is 9x16 and not the normal wide 16x9 view. This is great for hallways or shots down the side of a building where I want total side coverage but don't care about the width of the view. Be neat to get that option someday in Hik as I have many cameras that could benefit from an even taller view.
Thanks for your suggestions Razer and explaining the differences between 2,3 and 4MP field of view which is an important factor in this selection. With that in mind...any suggestions on cams...specifically Hik's?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions Razer and explaining the differences between 2,3 and 4MP field of view which is an important factor in this selection. With that in mind...any suggestions on cams...specifically Hik's?
I personally get my Hiks from @milkisbad who is here on the forum. CMIP3032 for the 4mm and CMIP3032-28 for the 2.8mm are the two I use. They are Hik cameras branded for them and his support is stellar. I'm attaching a couple of photos of a 4mm camera I have, one shot in 3mp mode which is 4:3 and then a shot in 2mp mode which is 16:9 mode. You can see the field of view changes, it is not drastic at maybe 6 degrees wider vs taller changes but I have a ton of shots where the taller 4:3 image gets me more.

In your case the taller shot would let you get more as someone walks under the camera and yet you could still get the far door. In the wide view you'd lose them as they walked by sooner as you cannot point lower or lose the far door.

Look at the changes in these two shots, without the camera moving at all. (outdoor shots would be more helpful but I could not find one I can safely show quickly, sorry)

3mpMode.PNG
2mpMode.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Razer, I have a couple of 3MP turrets I rotate and then set accordingly in the web UI to get a portrait view. Would this not achieve the hallway view you'd like?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a couple of my 3MP Hik's turned sideways (in 3MP 4:3 mode) for the taller hi-rez view. eg:
23476489946_6a5d933f67_o.jpg
the gate is about 45 feet (14m) away from the camera and my concern was mostly to cover the windows along the wall,
similar to your doorway layout. I do get some IR wash across the wall at night, and IR is nil in that far back corner.
Considering another cam at the far end facing back the other way, for more IR as well as to see anyone approaching
the gate face-on. Just need to make sure the cams are aimed such that the IR's don't blind each other at night...

Last edited by a moderator:

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
pozzello-

That layout does seem similar to the area I am trying to cover. Can you post a night view so I can see what all that 3MP Hik captures? And I assume the night image is with no additional lighting which would really give me a good idea of what area just using the IR's will cover?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
pozzello-

Thanks for sharing the night shot. It looks like you can see decent all the way to the fence even at night....and you said that's about 40-45 feet?

I do not think my furthest door is any farther than that...maybe even closer. Those turrets most likely have and effective IR range of at least 20 meters at night...wouldn't you think? If so, that should be far enough to capture what I need.

Also, can I get the newer 4mp turret and just set the picture size to 3mp mode to get more of that square view?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I only have the HIK 3MP's, which go to 4:3 when 3MP is selected (and 16:9 at 1080p/2MP)
so I can't speak to what the 4MP cams do when selecting different resolutions,
tho I understand their night visibility is better than the 3MP line due to less lux requirements.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think what I am going to do is take my 3mp turret that I have designated at another location and try it at this new location in the backyard and see what the image looks like. Then I guess we can go from there as to if it's a viable option or if I should go with something with better night vision capabilities.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You have a significant percentage of the picture throwing light back at the camera there due to stuff being very close, i.e, the ground/path/grass, the wall, the gas meter (?). The rest of the shot is more or less staring in to space with a strong light source coming across the camera from the left. Not at all surprising that you are getting a compromised picture. o_O
Yes, you are somewhat right about that, but it still gives you an idea that there is slight improvement with 4mp, although I didn't do the comparison with Huisun it crushes both cams in the same scenario. The IRs and sensor on Hiks just not good enough to cover large area.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all...I know its been awhile since I started this thread but I finally just got around to taking some snapshots of the replacement cam I installed for the backyard pic (as taken in my first post):

Any suggestions on improving either shot (day / night) are certainly welcome. Thanks for the assistance and comments on this thread. BTW, new cam is Hik 2342 (6mm lens).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choice with the Hik and 6mm lens. If you want to improve the night video, the best thing you can do is put up more lighting. Either lots of visible light or some IR illuminators.

I've had two of these installed for 4 years and they still work perfectly, casting an even, wide-angle beam: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2E4U4

Same with one of these, which casts a narrow spotlight beam: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BC17BW

There are other illuminators that other people swear by, but those are the ones I have and they've been great. Only trouble is, you have to run 12 volt power to each of them.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good choice with the Hik and 6mm lens. If you want to improve the night video, the best thing you can do is put up more lighting. Either lots of visible light or some IR illuminators.

I've had two of these installed for 4 years and they still work perfectly, casting an even, wide-angle beam: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2E4U4

Same with one of these, which casts a narrow spotlight beam: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BC17BW

There are other illuminators that other people swear by, but those are the ones I have and they've been great. Only trouble is, you have to run 12 volt power to each of them.
bp-

Thanks for the feedback on the camera choice and illuminators. I was mostly referencing settings within the camera that could possibly be changed like saturation, contrast, brightness, WDR, etc but appreciate the advice about the external IR illuminator.

Also, I have some other areas that I will be installing some 6mm turrets and instead of going with 100% Hik's I was curious if anyone had any opinions on Dahua turrets like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-IPC-HDW4431C-A-4MP-Full-HD-Network-IR-Mini-Camera-POE-Built-in-MIC-cctv/32689041973.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.24.M2WECX

I have read that they are basically the same image sensor so I would think day/night image should be about the same? Any comments on trying out a few Dahua's and saving a little money along the way....

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imho dahua > hikvision.. quality wise they are on par; but Dahua's software is better and there are no import compatibility concerns like w/Hik

lots of threads about that camera on this forum, I am running a bullet version and its pretty good for the price.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
imho dahua > hikvision.. quality wise they are on par; but Dahua's software is better and there are no import compatibility concerns like w/Hik

lots of threads about that camera on this forum, I am running a bullet version and its pretty good for the price.
Thanks for the input nayr....appreciate it. Before I purchased one I thought I would check with some real world opinions on how the turrets compare with the Hik's. I read on another forum that someone thought the day pic was about the same but it was lacking at night....compared to the Hik. I have an area on the side of the house that is lacking a light source at night and could really use a cam with decent night mode.

I may give one a shot anyway...for the price...if it doesn't work out there I can always put it somewhere else (like replace my current garage cam which sucks a$$).