Cam Location Pic (2.8mm or 4mm)?

Night_Owl

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr,

When comparing the latest Dahua vs. Hik in the 4MP turrets, which one has the best night mode. What features in the Dahua software are superior to Hik software.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they use the same sensors usually so neither will have the 'best' night mode, if anything separates the two's capabilities its due to the built in IR.. I could take a dahua with LXIR and it'd be better than a Hik mini-bullet w/round diodes.. and vice versa.

for starters Dahua will check your model against a list of compatible models contained within a firmware image before attempting to upgrade; so if you have a firmware file thats not for your device.. it will reject it instead of bricking its self... its got a better ONVIF implementation and works with 3rd party systems better than Hik.. Its Smart features like Linecross are alot better, there clients are better supported on Mac's, etc.

and most importantly, there is no region locking nonsence.. North American, European, Chinese-Only, Asian Market devices will all play nicely with each other regardless where you aquired them... cant do that w/Hik.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imho dahua > hikvision.. quality wise they are on par; but Dahua's software is better
Quick question about this. From seeing pictures of the Dahua camera software, their IVS feature looks nicer than the "Event" features on my Hik DS-2CD2132F-I.

I thought I saw a post that the IVS feature on Dahua cameras can only trigger recordings on a Dahua NVR. Just wanted to check to see if that was correct.

I'm using Synology Surveillance Station as my NVR, as I need a NVR that can do HTTP GET events when an alert happens.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your NAS will not register any events picked up by IVS Functionality.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your NAS will not register any events picked up by IVS Functionality.
Grrr, but thanks for confirming that. I guess the Dahua camera send an event trigger for IVS that literally only Dahua NVRs pick up on...

I saw in another thread that you had written code against the Dahua API to try and detect events directly from the camera. Didn't look like that was working, but was curious if that status had changed. Thanks!!!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the IVS features are not part of the ONVIF spec; it only covers basic motion.. so IVS events are not announced in any way that is standardized for 3rd party use.

The nodejs dahua api module I wrote does work for basic motion events; but I have yet to reverse engineer a method to detect IVS announcements the same way my NVR does.