Camera advice

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Suggestions?

Curious about these camera's. I know I can hear the "its much better than a sricam, but gee don't use wifi for surveillance"

IPC-HDBW1320E-W | Dahua Technology

Would I get reliable decent video quality?

Would the PTV functions work FULLY so presets work?

Are the presets for PTV reliable and not suffer drift?

Requirements

I need wifi on this camera.

I need at least 1080p.

I need pan/tilt control.

I need reasonable ir/night vision.

I need a reasonably cheap camera preferably shy of 80 usd (yes I know there is a sacrifice but the prices go up exponentially).

It will go under cover so IP65 should be enough I think????

Stop reading here is you are not interested in some rambling on.

So far I have been happy with wifi on my sricam sp019 and am have only had a handful of dropouts over the week (which was only temporary dropouts so nothing was missed)

Had I have come here first (I wasn't looking into BI initially. I was using android only - but that software and hardware available sucked so left that behind) I may not have gone down there path but hey, they are good for the money.

I have had problems with the presets for PTV and also the two way audio (camera speaker), of which the latter doesn't really bother me but the presets does. It appears there is minimal support from the supplier as they say if it doesn't work in third party app then it won't work. I am still hoping that my repsonse of saying other onvif camera's appear to work and can they supply the code for loading the presets on the camera (hoping that may be helpful)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestions?

Curious about these camera's. I know I can hear the "its much better than a sricam, but gee don't use wifi for surveillance"

IPC-HDBW1320E-W | Dahua Technology

Would I get reliable decent video quality?

Would the PTV functions work FULLY so presets work?

Are the presets for PTV reliable and not suffer drift?

Requirements

I need at least 1080p.

I need pan/tilt control.

I need a reasonably cheap camera preferably shy of 80 usd (yes I know there is a sacrifice but the prices go up exponentially).

It will go under cover so IP65 should be enough I think????

Stop reading here is you are not interested in some rambling on.

So far I have been happy with wifi on my sricam sp019 and am have only had a handful of dropouts over the week (which was only temporary dropouts so nothing was missed)

Had I have come here first (I wasn't looking into BI initially. I was using android only - but that software and hardware available sucked so left that behind) I may not have gone down there path but hey, they are good for the money.

I have had problems with the presets for PTV and also the two way audio (camera speaker), of which the latter doesn't really bother me but the presets does. It appears there is minimal support from the supplier as they say if it doesn't work in third party app then it won't work. I am still hoping that my repsonse of saying other onvif camera's appear to work and can they supply the code for loading the presets on the camera (hoping that may be helpful)
1) that is NOT a ptz camera (its ptz not ptv)
2) Stop using wifi...
3) any camera can be made wifi with a cheap wifi bridge..
run a cable..

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, novice mistake. Didn't sink in the "z/v" stood for Zoom.

No Wifi means running a trench to this camera = pain in the back side for this application.

I have yet had any problems with wifi so the "don't use wifi" statement doesn't help me much. Is this because of dropouts mainly?

So any suggestions for camera's shy of 80 usd with wifi (yes I know but no wire works great for me) or a wired 60 usd camera so I can buy an external wifi bridge and have a fallback plan to wired (if I HAVE to).

Or any other camera's that are more budget friendly at the expense of great quality I understand.

I am not interested in running hundreds of dollar camera's as surveillance is not really a huge priority for me. This started as motion detection to turn lights on, just the surveillance video has been noticed as a bonus thus the higher MP camera choice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, novice mistake. Didn't sink in the "z/v" stood for Zoom.

No Wifi means running a trench to this camera = pain in the back side for this application.

I have yet had any problems with wifi so the "don't use wifi" statement doesn't help me much. Is this because of dropouts mainly?

So any suggestions for camera's shy of 80 usd with wifi (yes I know but no wire works great for me) or a wired 60 usd camera so I can buy an external bridge and have a fallback plan to wired (if I HAVE to).

Or any other camera's that are more budget friendly at the expense of great quality I understand.

I am not interested in running hundreds of dollar camera's as surveillance is not really a huge priority for me. This started as motion detection to turn lights on, just the surveillance video has been noticed as a bonus thus the higher MP camera choice.
if all you have is 80 dollars forget about ptz...that can barely get you a decent fixed camera.
you likely dont need tpz.
again dont use a wifi camera..
if you need to run wifi cams, use point to point wireless, but that will cost more than you 80 dollar budget..

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not "all I have". It's just I don't particularly want to spend that much seeing this is not a high priority item with my home surveillance and I had thought that pan and tilt cameras were "OK" in that price range. Seems I may be mistaken.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not "all I have". It's just I don't particularly want to spend that much seeing this is not a high priority item with my home surveillance and I had thought that pan and tilt cameras were "OK" in that price range. Seems I may be mistaken.
You are..you also dont need pan tilt..do you intend to monitor the cams 24/7?
Finally if you wish to use wifi anyway...buy a camera that supports local sd card recording as backup..

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need this camera to move as there are two places for it to focus. One is for intrusion (well more so for the motion detection to turn certain lights on) which it sits at all day, and the other spot was where this whole crazy idea came up and that is to turn the camera to an outdoor bbq area.

I guess I could run two separate camera's with no pan/tilt but I'd prefer one if I can get away with it.

I had hoped to use the profiles in BI so when changing to "BBQ" profile, that the camera moved to the right preset and changed the motion detection settings. I am "hoping" to pick up a fat fire when the image gains brightness in a reasonable sized area of the picture

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you are wasting your time.
For the fat fire? Or looking at a single camera to look at both areas?

I need to monitor the area visually anyway even if the motion detection on fat fire doesn't work.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I need at least 1080p.

I need pan/tilt control.

You don't need any of this. You think you need it.

If you can run a cable then I picked up 2x Dahua HFW2100P cameras in the UK delivered inc tax for $100 ($50 each). They are 1.3MP, the night vision is great, have PoE, IP66 and are as cheap as you can go without compromising reliability etc.

The quality of the HFW2100P image is far superior to the Sricam SP019 which funnily enough is 2MP but rubbish. The SP019 is more a webcam toy than a security camera.

You really need two cameras to cover two areas otherwise it's going to be a huge compromise.

For wifi -DAHUA DH-IPC-KW12WP is in your price range ($70 in the UK) but isn't waterproof so would need cover. I have tried similar in a covered porch and been fine but any direct rain will kill it.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why cant you run a cable? Where is this camera in relation to your nearest switch/router?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You obviously have power at the camera... Have you considered powerline Ethernet? Powerline is probably just as much garbage as a WiFi camera but it sounds like your dead set on things so it might be worth a try.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as wifi is concerned, i actually have a sricam wifi camera that is actually my most reliable camera. Ive never once had an issue with it... But its also like 1/4 of a megapixel and has terrible footage. BUT. its literally pointed at my garage door and all i use it for is visual confirmation that my garage door is closed. There also a WiFi access point in direct line of site about 25 feet away.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotta love the mentality of "I don't want to spend money on my cameras" only to one day have a problem where you then hear "I just got robbed blind and my crappy cameras were worthless"...

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why cant you run a cable? Where is this camera in relation to your nearest switch/router?
Its difficult that's all. It's under a carport/cover in front of a garage that is seperate from the house so running the cable isn't that easy.

Figured that the current camera doesn't have any major problems with disconnections (well I haven't noticed it on the log) so thought that is the easiest way seeing I don't see this as a big problem/risk. Well that's from my limited experience.

You obviously have power at the camera... Have you considered powerline Ethernet? Powerline is probably just as much garbage as a WiFi camera but it sounds like your dead set on things so it might be worth a try.
Edit: Comment disappeared.

The power is on a different circuit (same phase) so not sure if that impacts or not. I could consider this if wifi is going to be that problematic

Last edited:

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotta love the mentality of "I don't want to spend money on my cameras" only to one day have a problem where you then hear "I just got robbed blind and my crappy cameras were worthless"...
Because I started this purely for motion detection to run lights on and put my projector screen up if I come through the back entrance. I live in a really low crime area and the cameras weren't initially for this. I sometimes leave my back door unlocked shhh.

These cameras that aren't so popular on here but they have not been as bad for me as others seem to be making out. Yeh the picture isn't that great but it's still decent, Yes they are wifi... But I haven't had any major problems.

Is there anyone here who's used wifi cameras that actually has a good reason why it's so bad? I'm all good if they are (I've got limited experience) but just saying "no wifi" or "sricam are bad" without anything constructive really doesn't fight a good case or explain.

I have plenty of other things I don't cut corners on where I feel it matters. Happy to be proven wrong but unless it's constructive and has experience behind it then it really isn't helping.

Thanks to Del boy for giving a suggested option.

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This post started as wanting to know some options for cameras that are reasonably cheap.

So at this stage I'm now gonna see how many times my existing wifi cameras have dropped out and work out if it's a big problem for me. Is there any other reason wifi is bad? I dropped 2.4ghz wifi for streaming video between media devices due to interference but 5 GHz seemed to fix this. I don't see this problem yet with the cameras or it doesn't get noticed anyway.

I have one suggestion for a camera on here.

No one has commented on whether the camera I linked should work fully in bi, ignoring it's a wifi camera. I assume picture should be ok on that brand?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You wanted a lot of options, for not a lot of money. Most people here stray from wifi camera's so its hard for someone to suggest something that they don't have experience with. I've got one cheap Camera I would suggest and plan to buy more of, but its not wifi therefore won't work for you.

Its also gonna be hard for you to get serious suggestions when you're going against the grain and are flat out too lazy to run wires. No offense, but it seems to be the case which is also against the grain here.

I can go on Amazon a filter the searches to meet your exact needs and "recommend" a few cameras, but im not going to do that because i don't have any direct experience with them.

If all you want is motion detection... Just get a motion sensor.

And as long as the camera is ONVIF, it should work in blue iris.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wifi is ok for one or two HD cameras max. I personally wouldn't run wifi over 2MP.

I hate powerline, but I do have one wifi and one powerline camera. The wifi one is more reliable but the powerline one wouldn't be able to do wifi as it's too far away.

And as long as the camera is ONVIF, it should work in blue iris.
Please don't make an inaccurate fleeting statement like that again. ONVIF isn't created equal and ONVIF isn't like USB. It's an often badly implemented standard. Hikvision's implementation of ONVIF is shocking and they are the biggest.

OP, if you want to spend more money then DS-2CD2142FWD-IW is reliable but the range is short. (plus I loathe recommending Hikvision anymore).