Camera arrangement

Terran

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can I get an advice if the camera arrangement from the attached image is ok? I have good lighting coverage on all property inside or outside at the front gates.
I want:
the purple Cam1 and Cam2 tot see each other and all the front with the fence line from left to right (those will be 4mp f1.0 on 1.8 sensor) IPC-T549M-ALED-S3 or DS-2CD2347G2H-LI
the orange Cam3 and Cam4 to see from above all the front or the back of the yard (those will be 8mp f1.0 on 1.2 sensor) I'm thinking to put them on corridor mode since the size and shape of the yard to cover all property. IPC-Color4K-T or DS-2CD2387G2-LU28C
the red Cam5, cam6 and cam7, cam8 to see each other and the fence line from back to front (those will be 4mp f1.0 on 1.8 sensor) also on corridor mode. IPC-T549M-ALED-S3 or DS-2CD2347G2H-LI
the other 2 red cam9 and cam10 to cover all the front or the back of the house with entrance, door and windows. (those will be 4mp f1.0 on 1.8 sensor) IPC-T549M-ALED-S3 or DS-2CD2347G2H-LI

I hope that arranged this way (some in corridor mode) except the cam3 and cam4 which are mounted quite high the rest of the cams to have good functionality at least arround the house and near the gates to functions like Motion detection, Perimeter Protection Line crossing, intrusion, region entrance.
I'm not sure about the height of the red ones as I can put them anywhere between min 2.7m(8.85ft) and max 3.15m(10.33ft).
I want to use them with Blue Iris.

What do you think?

cctv.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can I get an advice if the camera arrangement from the attached image is ok? I have good lighting coverage on all property inside or outside at the front gates.
I want:
the purple Cam1 and Cam2 tot see each other and all the front with the fence line from left to right (those will be 4mp f1.0 on 1.8 sensor) IPC-T549M-ALED-S3 or DS-2CD2347G2H-LI
the orange Cam3 and Cam4 to see from above all the front or the back of the yard (those will be 8mp f1.0 on 1.2 sensor) I'm thinking to put them on corridor mode since the size and shape of the yard to cover all property. IPC-Color4K-T or DS-2CD2387G2-LU28C
the red Cam5, cam6 and cam7, cam8 to see each other and the fence line from back to front (those will be 4mp f1.0 on 1.8 sensor) also on corridor mode. IPC-T549M-ALED-S3 or DS-2CD2347G2H-LI
the other 2 red cam9 and cam10 to cover all the front or the back of the house with entrance, door and windows. (those will be 4mp f1.0 on 1.8 sensor) IPC-T549M-ALED-S3 or DS-2CD2347G2H-LI

I hope that arranged this way (some in corridor mode) except the cam3 and cam4 which are mounted quite high the rest of the cams to have good functionality at least arround the house and near the gates to functions like Motion detection, Perimeter Protection Line crossing, intrusion, region entrance.
I'm not sure about the height of the red ones as I can put them anywhere between min 2.7m(8.85ft) and max 3.15m(10.33ft).
I want to use them with Blue Iris.

What do you think?

View attachment 201754
Hi @Terran

In general, looks like a good start ...

Personally I prefer 3.6mm instead of 2.8mm for most of my camera setups as they give me a longer DORI / ID range ..

I do not see the heights of the cameras other than the overwatch ones, so you will want to check those.

Remember, test the locations before drilling or finalizing .. and have someone act the part of an intruder at various times of the day for your test.
Have them wear a baseball cap and see if you can get a good facial ID image.

Reaction score
All Full Color cams with white LEDS...
All cams with 2.8/3.6mm...
No varifocal or IR...

typical mistakes we see here on the forum everyday...

First read and understand this thread:

Putting all system on very wide 2.8/3.6mm (90-110 degree horizontal) lenses without any varifocal with narrow zoom (like from front house to the gates or on narrow long sides of building) is not a good idea.. You will got a lot very wide images which contains mostly building walls or fences :) And everything at distance (like 20m) will be very small / lack of face details..

Second - Full Color models..
Do You have there enough street/garden/house light to all cams work in Full color at night?

Internal LED's in full color cams are not enough to have nice image. And they are distracting and generate questions from neighbors (why this cams is directed in my house side?)..

IR is much better / how much better performance for no light situations...

Terran

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.
About the light, yes I believe I have enought and if I don't I'll add more. I think that the most important factor is the light to keep intruders away and for years I have done this and never had any problems even if nearby houses were broken into so I'll always choose light over IR (ambiental light all over the property not leds from the cams).

This was also my confusion, whether to go for 3.6 or 4.0 instead of 2.8 on the sides of the house, but I see that you say it is still not enough. That's why I also said that I would use the ones on the sides in corridor mode and I asked if the detection functions would work correctly in this mode.

Regarding the orange ones from front house to the gates or to the back end/fence of the property I tought that choosing 2.8mm and also puting them in corridor mode I can see all property from above since it's long and narrow (house wall where the camera is mounted and the 3 sides of the fence, left, right and back. With these I don't need identification, but just for observation, for example, if I find something thrown in the yard to look at the recordings and see from which side of the fence it was thrown or simply to look when I feel like it to see that everything is in its place.
I've read there, but it's still hard to figure out what I need, especially on those sides where it's narrow. That's why I said to ask, if anyone has other suggestions for the distances and heights that I have given.

Also if you looked at the models that I chose as variants, you would have seen that the 4mp hikvision version is actually a hybrid with IR, but as I said, that's not why I'm considering it, because anyway I won't use the IR either and neither the white Leds.

I have not seen either dahua or hikvision varifocal cameras with f1.0 of 8mp/1.2 or 4mp/1.8, that's why I went for fixed ones. I've prefered the 4mp ones for lower mounting heights because of the minimum closer focus range they have.

Height, position etc I can play with, but since I can't find varifocal at those specifications I need to know to order the right cameras 2.8mm, 3.6mm, 4mm, 6mm ..... and this is the complicated part as for example the narrow sides between the fence and the house: With 2.8/3.6/4mm, yes, I would see building wall and fence because that's mostly what it is but I will also see that part between those cams as the higher the number on the lens, the more the minimum focus distance increases, and too high I will be able to see in the distance and without too much wall or fence but I will no longer be able to see nearby that piece between the cameras with any of them. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.
With those cameras I only need to see the fence line and respectively the sidewalk along the house until a little after the corner of the house from where the orange ones from above will see further. So, only that part interests me in those cameras on the sides to see in details with functional alerts. So I am only interested in identification nearby around the house (sidewalk and walls with the windows and doors) and in front of the property along the fence/gates. For the rest of the property, just observation is ok and I think it's enough.

Please let me know if I'm wrong.
I am also wrong in thinking that if I feed them separately and not through POE it is more stable and reliable?

Reaction score
I have not seen either dahua or hikvision varifocal cameras with f1.0 of 8mp/1.2 or 4mp/1.8, that's why I went for fixed ones. I've prefered the 4mp ones for lower mounting heights because of the minimum closer focus range they have.

Height, position etc I can play with, but since I can't find varifocal at those specifications I need to know to order the right cameras 2.8mm, 3.6mm, 4mm, 6mm ..... and this is the complicated part as for example the narrow sides between the fence and the house: With 2.8/3.6/4mm, yes, I would
There are Full Color cams with 4mpx 1/1.8" F1.0 and varifocal:

Field of View H: 104.7°–56.1° - so in real they are only 2x optical zoom. Both Dahua/HIK are laying with 2.8-12mm - it's more like 3.2-6.0mm

Terran

n3wb
Reaction score
cc
There are Full Color cams with 4mpx 1/1.8" F1.0 and varifocal:
In fact, I actually looked at the turret version (I prefer this type) but taking into account that it is rarer than a white tiger (otherwise that would have been the first choice) I did not mention it and chose models that I can actually find locally or from known sources ex Andy.

Terran

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't find it on alibaba (only the two lens/led variant) and anyway I would not take from Chinese markets because more than sure I'll get a chinese version.
I'll ckeck orbitadigital and if not I'll get any 4mp IR varifocal I can easily find and play with it arroud all places and figure it out what I need and then order all the cams.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score