Camera bitrate showing in SmartPSS Live View?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What SmartPSS Live View shows for bitrate seems very often reported as much higher than the setting should allow.

You can see the setting and what the Live View screen shows in the attached pics.

Any ideas what might be going on?

bitrate1.jpg bitrate2.jpg

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Connected over Wifi ?

Most of the time this happens when the streams cannot keep up with traffic on the network. Do you have drop outs / hick ups also?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, those three are bridged from garage to house on WiFi link. The link speed shows 54Mb/s and the bridge router bandwidth graph shows fairly consistent ~12Mb/s, but some higher and lower peaks/valleys.

On that, perhaps I will dig out a different router from the old stuff shelf and see if I have one that will up the game to a N link rather than G (although 12Mb/s on 54Mb/s link shouldn't be a issue, yeah?).

Herky-jerky motion is what I'm seeing.

All that said, it just dawned on me while writing this, I'm pursuing this based on VPN link into the system. That will be capped by my ISP plan 10Mb/s upload speed. If I have ~12Mb/s from the cameras that's not going to fit too well through a 10Mb/s VPN pipe. Oops...

Last edited:

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A PHY-rate of 54Mbps of an 'old' 802.11g, is more or less 20/24 Mbps of actual tcp throughput for a single client conneted... Is a dedicated (P2P) wireless bridge, or the station, in the garage, is conneted to the AP, where other clients are associated ?
Cheers,

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The device on the camera end in the garage is a Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT firmware, configured to client bridge mode This was running +90% CPU but the DD-WRT firmware allows overclocking so I turned that up a couple notches which dropped the CPU to 35%, give or take.

On the other end of the bridge in the house is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900).

Distance between them is about 70ft.

(The garage system is 3 cameras set @ 4096Kb/s > Netgear Gigabit POE managed switch > Linksys WRT54G in client bridge).

Last edited:

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, with your ISP, you may have issues, if, while connected through VPN, you want see all the three cameras at the same time, not one at time ....:)
Anyway, the Ubiquiti AirMax AC are quite cheap (eg. the NS-AC LoCo), if you need a reliable P2P wireless bridge, attached image is from a P2P bridge, around 50 meters (I wasn't able to run fiber), -4 dBm as output power, and 50 Mhz as channel-width.

Attachments

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those gadgets look like pretty nice setups.

Before I buy any more wireless gear though I'm going to do some swapping of stuff I have around. I'll need to take the wireless AC-capable router (as AP) out of the house and put that in the garage because it can be switched to client bridge. Then, I'll take another router that supports wireless AC that will serve as the AP and set that up in the house. Will run those changes over the weekend and see how that works. Come spring I'm thinking it's bury a line but will see how this rearranging goes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the cliff notes and other items in the WIKI. The WIKI is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

DO NOT USE WIRELESS FOR IP CAMERAS.

There are other better solutions.

Read, study, plan,plan,plan

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree, more or less, about the use of the wireless*. When I can, I use SM fiber, then copper, and, as last chance, dedicated Point-to-Point wireless bridges, for sure, *never a multi-access wireless system (as an home AP, on which could be associated other devices), nor the AV/Powerline.
We have some cameras which are installed miles away from the control room, on the hills, never had issues with wireless bridges, mostly P2P and some P2MP (and anyway, we had not so much alternatives ... :))
Cheers,

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The experiment with the different bridge setup was mixed result. Generally video was more smooth but there were unexpected intermittent disconnects/reconnects, at least on the remote view. I will later check the PC recordings to see if there is similar behavior.

Far as other devices connecting, the only thing connecting to the AP is the client bridge router. Long term the plan is hardwire but currently the ground is like concrete and under a foot of snow and ice so that's not happening for a while.