Camera cable termination

ok412

n3wb
Reaction score
Question; do any cameras allow for the removal of the supplied network "tail" cable with female RJ45 connection without breaking the warranty of the unit?

The scenario is as follows:

Am planning a network camera installation using PoE cameras for my home.

The weather conditions in my area mean corrosion is real concern as RJ45 connections are not really rated for any sort exposure to humidity. So we would like to run a cable all from the PoE switch all the way to the camera and terminate it inside the camera. I see that there is "boot" supplied so provide some protection to the RJ45 connection but doubt this will provide adequate protection in the long term.

Hence we would therefore need to remove the "tail" that comes with the camera and terminate the cable we are running. Have access to very experienced network cable installer so have no issue running and terminating network cables. Note we can also solder and can do PCB board level repairs so working on the unit does present any problems.

Thanks in advance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cutting anything off would void the warranty.

We all deal with humidity and there are better ways.

How about proper waterproofing - dielectric grease in the connections followed by self-fusing tape of the connections will prevent this from happening.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question; do any cameras allow for the removal of the supplied network "tail" cable with female RJ45 connection without breaking the warranty of the unit?

The scenario is as follows:

Am planning a network camera installation using PoE cameras for my home.

The weather conditions in my area mean corrosion is real concern as RJ45 connections are not really rated for any sort exposure to humidity. So we would like to run a cable all from the PoE switch all the way to the camera and terminate it inside the camera. I see that there is "boot" supplied so provide some protection to the RJ45 connection but doubt this will provide adequate protection in the long term.

Hence we would therefore need to remove the "tail" that comes with the camera and terminate the cable we are running. Have access to very experienced network cable installer so have no issue running and terminating network cables. Note we can also solder and can do PCB board level repairs so working on the unit does present any problems.

Thanks in advance.
This is also why I like to do what @wittaj and @samplenhold mention as well as use a proper junction box that I can put the entire pig tail into afterwards ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is also why I like to do what @wittaj and @samplenhold mention as well as use a proper junction box that I can put the entire pig tail into afterwards ..
I go one step further and throw a silica pack in the junction box LOL.

But the dielectric grease is what goes a long way towards preventing humidity moisture from getting there in the first place.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to all the above ^^^.

Ideally, use the junction boxed designed for the specific camera to additionally protect the camera's pigtail. Some more, detailed info below:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I go one step further and throw a silica pack in the junction box LOL.

But the dielectric grease is what goes a long way towards preventing humidity moisture from getting there in the first place.
That's going a bit overboard because it won't be effective for very long. :lmao:
The silica packs are only intended for shipping and temporary warehouse storage.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm just going to add some common sense here. For the best watertight seal to the junction box unless feeding it from behind, feed it from below. Water only runs in 1 direction under gravity and up isn't it, so the best practiuce direction if not rear fed would be to introduce the cable into the box from below. If not possible for any reason, my 2nd choice would be side and last choice top. Personally, if using conduit, I'd even divert the conduit around the camera to get a favourbale connection direction over a top feed.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm just going to add some common sense here. For the best watertight seal to the junction box unless feeding it from behind, feed it from below. Water only runs in 1 direction under gravity and up isn't it, so the best practiuce direction if not rear fed would be to introduce the cable into the box from below. If not possible for any reason, my 2nd choice would be side and last choice top. Personally, if using conduit, I'd even divert the conduit around the camera to get a favourbale connection direction over a top feed.
My camera mount junction boxes are all fed from the side with flexible electrical conduit that comes from a smaller 4-way feeder box.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...and even under a soffit or roof eave where there's no direct rain blast, one must close up any open ports or crevices in the junction box; I use Duct Seal in such instances and in the back entrance because the dirt daubers around here are VERY industrious and unrelenting...their dirt and spit mix dries hard as 2 part epoxy!

G-B_ductseal-1lb.jpg