Camera/cameras not keeping expert settings-Yellow triangle under Camera tab in NVR...

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This problem is driving me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!!
I have an LTS NVR system (closest to unbranded Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR and 7 DS-2CD2332-I 2MP). The units are FANTASTIC!
But, as with Hikvision, I'm having the same problem with some of the cameras not retaining the expert settings.
Specifically with one camera but from time to time, other cameras would randomly switch back to normal.
I changed the login to a user with no admin privileges and the password as well. The NVR does not have any expert settings, just normal.
I can't narrow down what exactly causes it. Closing the browser (Firefox, because the damn plugin doesn't work with Chrome!), reopening it
would sometimes reset it, sometimes it won't. Same thing with rebooting the NRV. It's hit or miss.
I'm using Motion Detection because Traversing The Plane decides when it wants to work, which is almost never. Ugh.
I have the Motion Detection Expert Settings set to where it is 90% accurate....but when it reverts...AAAARGH!!!
I've searched the net and I could only come up with this thread and maybe one other which doesn't have a clear solution.

I've been having a problem with one camera that continuously keeps reverting back to Normal and it's always showing a yellow triangle under the NVR.
camera settings but it records and playback is fine.
I thought I found the solution but after a couple of days, the triangle is back....but , the camera basically operates as it should...only it keeps reverting back.
Possible correlation? I don't know...it beats me.

Great system! I love it! But ARGH!!!....my settings!!!!!!:mad-new::mad-new::mad-new:...(and that blasted yellow triangle!!!!)

Milkisbad has been trying to figure out what is wrong but maybe someone here has an idea? Thought?

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Camera/cameras not keeping expert settings-Yellow triangle under Camera tab in NV

Hi phoenixone
I have experience with the exact same problem you are having with a HikVision NVR but I can only assume you have your NVR setup to pick up the cameras on the network rather than cameras plugged directly into the NVR itself.
This never used to happen before when only recording to an on-board sd card and the NVR was only recording the other cameras plugged directly into it so its definitely not the camera.
It appears to happen when the NVR is used to pick up a camera on the network for backup recordings. All is fine until a random revert back to normal motion detection down from expert. The settings aren't lost but are disabled and it appears to happen sometimes after accessing the NVR which somehow overrides the choices in the camera and it's the same for the time settings as well. If not already experimented try not accessing the NVR for a while and see if the camera retains its settings, (definitely some sort of conflict issue).

Regarding the Chrome plugin you need to enable a rule after a recent Chrome update, open up Chrome browser and type this address "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi" click on enable on the hi-lighted rule then click "relaunch now" and your plugin should be working again

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Camera/cameras not keeping expert settings-Yellow triangle under Camera tab in NV

Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry in my delayed response. I was running errands all day long.

I can only assume you have your NVR setup to pick up the cameras on the network rather than cameras plugged directly into the NVR itself.
The cameras are plugged directly into the NVR. The NVR is equipped with 16 POE ports.

Regarding the Chrome plugin you need to enable a rule after a recent Chrome update, open up Chrome browser and type this address "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi" click on enable on the hi-lighted rule then click "relaunch now" and your plugin should be working again
I did that and it continues to ask me to install the plugin. Even after multiple restarts. I think it's because I'm using a 64bit Chrome.

I've tried not accessing the NVR for a day and the camera/cameras will still revert back to "normal" motion settings.

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score

Hmmm! I'm puzzled on the chrome browser now as that usually cures the problem.

I know it's not ideal but the only sure way I know of right now to stop the camera motion settings reverting back to normal is to do away with the NVR altogether and record to NAS or on-board sd cards but that will require swapping out your NVR for a POE switch and adding a NAS to the network. Shouldn't have to do this but until there's a fix or a new firmware is available for the NVR which has the added expert motion settings I don't know of a solution. Its less hassle for me as my cameras are not plugged into the NVR directly so I don't have to mess around plugging in laptops etc to get to the cameras plus it doesn't seem to happen nearly as often as its happening to your cameras

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Yeah, switching out/getting rid of the NVR isn't an option. It's a wicked awesome NVR. It looks like it's the firmware that is wrecking this almost perfect system. I hope Hikvision comes out with a fix asap (doubt it) or someone with amazing script skills beats them to it.
I'm stooped as to why it's mostly just one camera that this continuously happens to....(also that DAMNED yellow triangle). The others, it happens once in a while.
All the cameras have the same firmware V5.1.6 build 140604 and the NVR is V3.1.1 build 141202.

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Checked the playback of all the cameras this morning and behold....around 2:10 am, that camera reverts back to normal and it recorded...,

"♫ All,...night,...long!
*chorus* All night,...all night...*
All,...night long!!! ♫ "

Song by Lionel Richie-All Night Long.

It's not the POE port because I switched the camera a few weeks back and the problem followed the camera, not the port.
AAAARRRGH!!!!

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score

It's neither the POE port or the camera. It's the simple fact that the NVR is overriding the camera. Mine are separately on the same network but when the camera IP address is configured into the NVR that's the only time it can occur. I feel your pain. If it's really important for a specific camera to retain the expert setting then run it separately from a poe injector and insert an sd card instead if you have that option then leave the other cameras as they are. Is it the number of recordings that's bothering you with the normal motion recording? If you run specific cameras separately you can also use the intrusion settings instead of the motion sensor. This will pretty much eliminate all false alarms just make sure you set the threshold to 10, then even when the infra-reds switch on and off even they won't trigger a recording.

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score

ps. I'm using firmware V5.2.0 on all cameras, the most stable in my opinion

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

ps. I'm using firmware V5.2.0 on all cameras, the most stable in my opinion
Interesting,,...thanks for bit of info.
I'll email Milkisbad and see if there is a firmware upgrade for my cameras.

*keeping fingers crossed*

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score

As a heads up, avoid 5.2.3 significant increase in lag especially on a 3mp camera

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

As a heads up, avoid 5.2.3 significant increase in lag especially on a 3mp camera
Thanks! I'll make sure to avoid that version.

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

What a wacky day. I attempted to upgrade the firmware via the normal methods and it kept failing. I tried using different PC's, browsers, using TFPT method, etc.
Milkisbad worked VERY hard and spent a few hours remotely diagnosing the problem but it still wouldn't update. There is one more option he is going to research.

If anyone has any ideas on to keep the camera from resetting it's motion mode setting, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

hereu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Have a check that motion or alarms aren't enabled on that camera.

The easiest way to check all the camera settings is in menu/ maintenance.

Failing that, check the camera settings through the web browser interface. Configuration/ camera management.

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Have a check that motion or alarms aren't enabled on that camera.

The easiest way to check all the camera settings is in menu/ maintenance.

Failing that, check the camera settings through the web browser interface. Configuration/ camera management.
Thanks for helping out hereu.
You may have misunderstood. I want motion enabled. The problem is, I want it to stay on Expert Mode under Events in the browser interface but it keeps switching back to Normal mode which in turn, the camera just keeps recording at any slightest movement. When I adjust the sensitivity to where it stops that, then it will hardly ever record motion.... even a person walking by or a slow moving car.
So that's why I'm using Expert mode which has more fine tuning and features. So when it's well tuned, it works at roughly 90% accuracy.
But when it, for some unknown reason, keeps switching back from Expert to Normal Motion mode, it just records and records and records.

A firmware update may solve the problem but the "evil gods of bad luck" keep sticking it to me by failing all attempts to upgrade the camera.

hereu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I understand.

You are doing very well to have 90% accuracy with motion detection on an outside camera.

A good detector would eliminate all false alarms if your NVR has alarm inputs.

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I understand.

You are doing very well to have 90% accuracy with motion detection on an outside camera.

A good detector would eliminate all false alarms if your NVR has alarm inputs.
Thanks hereu.
My NVR has alarm inputs. I have yet to decide if I am going to get one though. But i'm glad it's there.

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Milkisbad was hard at work diagnosing and trouble shooting for the past couple of days. We've switched a port # and currently monitoring if switching the port # since yesterday solves my problem. As of yet, Motion settings have so far stayed on Expert and have yet to switch back to normal on it's own.

And I FINALLY was able to get Chrome to work. Turns out Chrome 64 bit was the problem with me not being able to run the plugin. Downgrading back to Chrome 32 bit solved the problem. Firefox was just to slow.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score

There is one advantage of the expert motion detection settings over a PIR sensor and that is pin pointing exactly where you need to cover. Not only that, you can set 8 individual zones independently of each other and also set the sensitivity levels separately for each zone and then separately again for day or night if desired. Having the additional proportion setting forces the need for a set percentage of the created zone to be filled and moving before a trigger is set off. I can confirm what phoenixone is saying with the 90% accuracy with the expert settings. A well placed camera can achieve up to 95% accuracy. You wouldn't believe the number of people who don't realize the camera has way more superior settings than the NVR. They basically buy the cameras as a kit and hook them up to the NVR and become disappointed when they receive in excess of 100 emails a day from the camera. Even those who don't have an NVR hooked up to the camera often overlook the existence of the expert settings for motion detection.
We use dedicated dialers with the alarm enabled versions of the HikVision cameras which have programmed software to take care of the remaining 5 to 10% accuracy so basically the camera calls you only when you have set up the zones for whatever it is you want to cause a trigger. For example if someone enters a zone the camera calls you but if next door's cat enters it or a car's headlights shine on the zone or there's a change in light from a cloud, nothing happens. With normal motion detection this is just not possible, hence the need to resolve the NVR override issue!

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the sensitivity scale is from 1 to 100 in the Expert settings compared to a minimum setting of 20 in normal motion detection which is still way too high.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Milkisbad was hard at work diagnosing and trouble shooting for the past couple of days. We've switched a port # and currently monitoring if switching the port # since yesterday solves my problem. As of yet, Motion settings have so far stayed on Expert and have yet to switch back to normal on it's own.
Were you able to resolve your issue? I'm having a similiar problem with some of my cameras reverting back to the higher fps setting I have set for events and can't find a solution. Thanks for any input.

*Update*
Searching for possible solutions I found a thread where someone recommended to change the fps settings as desired, save and immediately restart the camera thru it's maintenance menu. So far my cameras are maintaining the settings. If it works, I wonder if this would also fix maintaining expert settings changes. Will update if cameras revert back to wrong settings.

Last edited by a moderator: