Camera Capture? no....a camera miss. advice?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This one was kind of confusing. I have a IP3M-941-S in my front room and pointed at the front door and the door to the garage. Last night when we went to bed (about 11pm?), the door to the garage was closed but when we awoke this morning, it was open. I have the camera only set to record upon trigger and it usually works fine. Even at night, it will trigger when someone walks by in a dark room. I wonder if the color of the garage door (white) and the color of the walls (kinda creme) AND the fact that it was at night running IR that it didn't have enough of a difference to detect a motion to set off a trigger to record. I've attached a normal daytime pic to get the idea of the room. I also have a pic of the last alert at 1135pm and then an alert that was triggered at 409an this morning (likely because of the lighting from a thunderstorm rolling by). The 409am trigger recording shows no motion whatsoever. I've also included my settings for that camera & the general recording settings. Any hints on what to tweak to get this kind of motion?

My guess is someone was sleepwalking and left the door open which wouldn't make sense though as the camera usually gets someone walking by even in the dark. Its possible the garage door wasn't locked/latched and the wind blew it open but then the garage was all closed up so that seems unlikely. Maybe one of the dogs used their nose to fully open the door I guess? Still.....it leaves the question as to why BI didn't trigger off of the door opening.

0409am.jpg1135pm.jpgCapture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPGFrontRoom.20200801_132056360.jpg

Reaction score
^ as SY stated opened slowly, or it was open and you just did not realize it, or something other-worldly happened. All my cams record continuously. I see no reason not to. It's not like someone other than me has access to the footage.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^ as SY stated opened slowly, or it was open and you just did not realize it, or something other-worldly happened. All my cams record continuously. I see no reason not to. It's not like someone other than me has access to the footage.
Well I know we didn't leave the door open as I have the picture from a trigger after we went to bed. (one of the attachments) As for the ghosts, haha...I don't really care if a ghost opened it or not. Mostly I was asking about how to get BI tweaked to catch any movement regardless of the cause. Lol... Yeah I don't know what happened with the door. Even if the AC sucked it open then I thought I had BI set to get the movement. No worries. I'll try the continuous and we'll see how that goes.

Reaction score
Tonight, tie a string to the door know and leave it ajar. take the string and get out of the cam's view. Have it set to record continuously. Pull the door slowly open. Then go back to BI and use that footage in the 'Test run video through motion detector' and see how it responds.

Reaction score
All of my doors have Ring alarm sensors, they are so cheap. If any door is opened after i have set the ring alarm, i will have alexa saying which door is opened, then the ring alarm will go off in 40 seconds for the garage door like yours and instant for the front and back doors. Then the cup of water sitting over my bed will be triggered by the motion detector that saw the door open, and the water will be dumped on my head. Ok the water stuff is make believe, but you should try sensors on your doors. They make simple sensors that you could put on the door if you do not have an alarm system. There are so many to choose from.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.