Camera color changed "overnight" not sure what happened or what can be done

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Beat it pretty good with the handle of a screw driver... knocked the focus all out of whack but did not fix the IR issue.
This doesn't look like the classic stuck IR-cut filter where the whole daytime image, and especially greens such as grass, has a purple tinge when the filter is stuck open, allowing general IR in to the image.
The night B&W shots show that the IR LEDs are on and the IR-cut filter is open, looks normal.

A bit of a long shot - I'm wondering if the IR illumination itself is stuck on when the camera is in day mode. And the hoodie, and hair, is somehow sensitive to the IR.
That could be checked, in daylight, by looking directly at the camera to see if the tell-tale red glow of IR LEDs shows, or better by pointing a smartphone camera at the CCTV camera where the IR LEDs would be visible if they were on.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the fact that the image pixel size and subsequent aspect ratios differ and also the field of view differ between the 2 images of no consequence?
Maybe that's just a result of how you made the captures and posted them?

IOW, objects appear to be in different locations or viewpoint between the 2...or it's my imagination (hey, I'm the first to admit my brain and eyeballs have high mileage). :lol:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
This doesn't look like the classic stuck IR-cut filter where the whole daytime image, and especially greens such as grass, has a purple tinge when the filter is stuck open, allowing general IR in to the image.
The night B&W shots show that the IR LEDs are on and the IR-cut filter is open, looks normal.

A bit of a long shot - I'm wondering if the IR illumination itself is stuck on when the camera is in day mode. And the hoodie, and hair, is somehow sensitive to the IR...
Yeah, doesn't look like the typical stuck IR filter though I can see some magenta cast elsewhere in the image (e.g,, floor above). I can understand how different materials might look different but what I can't figure out is that if you look closely there's purple reflection on the otherwise black chair. Not sure how that works.

Bogus8

n3wb
Reaction score

A bit of a long shot - I'm wondering if the IR illumination itself is stuck on when the camera is in day mode. And the hoodie, and hair, is somehow sensitive to the IR.
That could be checked, in daylight, by looking directly at the camera to see if the tell-tale red glow of IR LEDs shows, or better by pointing a smartphone camera at the CCTV camera where the IR LEDs would be visible if they were on.
They are not on. I can see them come on when I cover the lense to try and kick off the IR cut.

Bogus8

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the fact that the image pixel size and subsequent aspect ratios differ and also the field of view differ between the 2 images of no consequence?
Maybe that's just a result of how you made the captures and posted them?

IOW, objects appear to be in different locations or viewpoint between the 2...or it's my imagination (hey, I'm the first to admit my brain and eyeballs have high mileage). :lol:
Just how the screen grab happened. I posted a youtube link from the day before clicking through the timeline until the next day and you can see it happen.

Bogus8

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, doesn't look like the typical stuck IR filter though I can see some magenta cast elsewhere in the image (e.g,, floor above). I can understand how different materials might look different but what I can't figure out is that if you look closely there's purple reflection on the otherwise black chair. Not sure how that works.
Yeah, it's crazy... she's wearing a black shirt today and it's SO much purple up there. And the back of the chair is that black mesh kind (with the eraser size holes in it) and that is all purple too.

There is a window on the immediate right but it's daylight... not tinted crazy or anything. And I mean, NOTHING else changed from that before to after pic!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Kind of a strange one. Maybe it's not the IR at all. Not sure what you have as far as controls in that cam but take a look at however the color settings are done and see if you can adjust something there. And have you tried to do a reboot/reset?

Whatever it is might be contagious... I'm sitting here looking at my cams and I now have an odd purple ray from the sun that I've never seen before. ; )

Screenshot 2023-03-15 175004.png

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
60's camera Mike. It's wearing flares.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Beat it pretty good with the handle of a screw driver... knocked the focus all out of whack but did not fix the IR issue.
Did you give out clear commands like "Be gone bad color!" before hitting it with the screw driver? Maybe the camera thought changing the focus would stop you from beating it. :lol: