Camera dead after move - DS-2CD1103-i

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Long story short, I had a client move his office to a new location. Some of the contractors unplugged all the cameras and left them a side. I came to reinstall it as it should all be configured already, with angles needing to be adjusted.

One of the cameras didn't come back online. I see IR come on when I plug it into the DS-7108N/SN-P NVR.

Decided to take it offline, and bring it to a computer. The camera was set to 192.168.254.7, and I changed my computer to match the subnet, 192.168.254.10. Tried to ping, no response.

Loaded up SADP, did not find the camera.

Changed my IP address to 192.0.0.10, and tried to ping 192.0.0.64. Got a response! However, odd, why did the settings reset? Anyways, tried to access to web GUI, and chrome says "Refused to Connect"

So I thought, uh oh. Firmware corrupt?

Went to the Hikvision Chinese website, as it's a chinese model camera and downloaded the latest firmware

HIK JUST took down the firmware from the website when I wrote this post, however it still can be found via google cache here:海康威视是以视频为核心的物联网解决方案和数据运营服务提供商,面向全球提供安防、可视化管理与大数据服务。

Firmware info for those that can read (I can't)

"程序包适用于以下型号:

DS-2CD1103(D)-I、 DS-2CD1203(D)-I3/I5、DS-2CD1303(D)-I

特别声明:
版本号:V5.3.5 build151029
(B)的型号的设备也可用此程序升级,下图是有(B)的设备机身和包装标签。
设备升级有风险,请确认是否一定要升级设备。
升级后将无法降级。
请确认升级程序包是否适用于您的设备。
在设备升级过程中请勿断电。
升级后请登陆设备,在“配置-高级配置-系统-系统维护”中,执行“简单恢复“操作。"

Had my brother in law translate to ensure it was the same model, and he said it should work, so I thought ok..Lets flash. Downloaded Hikvision TFTP from a post on this forum, and started flashing. I am waiting for it to say "Completed" but it doesn't happen. The process just keeps repeating itself. I tried closing to program when the camera reboots, but no luck. Web GUI still doesn't work, however still responds to ping at 192.0.0.64. I tried flashing via 12V and a standalone switch, no luck, same results

Camera Info as per sticker: DS-2CD1103-i V5.1.0_140312

Any help would be appreciated. Is the camera dead?

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
alastairstevenson this guy is amazing at getting these back to normal and others on the forum ask him nicely he will point you in the right
direction

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated. Is the camera dead?
As you have identified, the camera is an old model with no firmware on public download any more.
From what you've described, to figure out why it won't fully boot is probably not worth the effort when you will be able to replace it with a similar one with much better performance at modest cost.
If you did want to spend time on exploring the problem, to get more detail you'd need to connect up to the serial console (assuming this older model does have the same facility as is common on current models).
This needs a Serial TTL to USB convertor, such as a PL2303HX based one, and a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector, both widely available on eBay.

Optimistic, but worth checking, would be if telnet access is possible at the address the ping responds to.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you have identified, the camera is an old model with no firmware on public download any more.
From what you've described, to figure out why it won't fully boot is probably not worth the effort when you will be able to replace it with a similar one with much better performance at modest cost.
If you did want to spend time on exploring the problem, to get more detail you'd need to connect up to the serial console (assuming this older model does have the same facility as is common on current models).
This needs a Serial TTL to USB convertor, such as a PL2303HX based one, and a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector, both widely available on eBay.

Optimistic, but worth checking, would be if telnet access is possible at the address the ping responds to.
Telnet seems to be dead...

C:\Users\epcjay>telnet 192.0.0.64
Connecting To 192.0.0.64...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

I'm also noticing a break in the pings every 30-40 seconds. Perhaps its on a bootloop. I don't think I'll invest anymore time on this. It's about 3 years old, and I'll let the owner know it needs to be replaced.

edit** as I was cleaning up...I noticed the ribbon cable wasn't connected. Putting it back on to see if it made a difference.

Last edited:

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5 minutes of trying to access the camera, no go. Now I'm not sure if it's cause it's dead to begin with or I flashed it without the ribbon cable attached....