Camera Decisions (assistance required)

lsonee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all, i'm looking at replacing my parents cameras, 6x of them, looking for a budget of $130-$230 USD, what is the newest & best camera for that kind of money?

The particular things i'm looking for:
  • Full colour
  • Strobe/white light
  • Mic / Speaker (not mandatory)
  • Particularly good night quality
  • Turret

If anyone could help, that would be great, all these new models get confusing after a while.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are asking for too much from one camera.

Active deterrence cameras (strobe lights) are not designed for high quality images. They keep the cheaper, lower cost smaller sensors in them to help keep the cost down.

Their primary purpose is the active deterrence concept of lights and audio.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Any other active deterrence camera is on the wrong MP/sensor ratio

Other than the 2MP version, none are on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform horribly at night.

1681351103876.png

So if you want better resolution, you need to move up to a camera that is not active deterrence.

Or if you are ok with having the audio part of active deterrence, then go with either the 4K/X or 180 camera, but these need light at night and cannot see infrared. So you would need to have enough light or be willing to run the cameras with the built in white light on:

https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-Full-Color-Dual-Lens-Splicing-IPC-Color4K-T180/dp/B0BWDFS9DT/ref=sr_1_13?imprToken=eNnu.Pmf5hsW5hcTVECAQg&linkCode=w61&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1681351210&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&slotNum=0&sr=1-13

https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-Full-Color-Weatherproof-Detection-IPC-Color4K-X/dp/B099RBDCCG/ref=sr_1_15?imprToken=eNnu.Pmf5hsW5hcTVECAQg&linkCode=w61&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1681351210&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&slotNum=0&sr=1-15

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looking for a budget of $130-$230 USD, what is the newest & best camera for that kind of money?

The particular things i'm looking for:
  • Full colour
  • Strobe/white light
  • Mic / Speaker (not mandatory)
  • Particularly good night quality
  • Turret
I just received an Empiretech T5442TM-AS-LED-S2. It delivers on the points I have not crossed out. I can't tell you how it compares to the Color4k-T, I can only say that it runs circles around the T5442T-ZE in color mode at night. And it is considerably cheaper than the Color4K-T.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate the image cheat sheet, so id be looking for 4mp with 1/1.8" realistically.

Based off that i found the following: Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL 4MP

See attached, thoughts?
That would work, but keep in mind you have to have enough light for that camera to see. Having the light strobe will mess with the image and ruin the chance for a clean capture.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate the image cheat sheet, so id be looking for 4mp with 1/1.8" realistically.

Based off that i found the following: Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL 4MP

See attached, thoughts?
in general the white led light from IP cameras many have reported is not enough nor significant enough to make much of a meaningful difference ..

as such, I would recommend buy one and test it out before jumping fully in ..