Camera decisions for a laboratory environment

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting three IP cameras in our new testing laboratory in Sydney Australia to record some tests we do. Both video and also some time lapse. They will not be used for surveillance although I don't think that changes things other than the low light levels requirement.

The camera's will not be used in low light levels so night vision isn't relevant at all.

We require analog zoom (controlled through IP), pan and tilt so a PTZ camera I understand.

Examples of distances and width of image at that distance are the following;

- 5m focal distance, 3m width of image
- 10m zoom ditance, 8m width of image
- 4m zoom, 10m width of image.

4k (8MP) would be preference but have a feeling prices will dictate we settle for 1080p cameras (aka 2MP) or 4MP.

Would prefer a microphone, but we could look at external microphones if required.

The camera's won't be in an area that is overly dusty, although it is an Engineering testing laboratory that may contain dust on occasions.

I think I will be capped at 500 USD (650 AUD) a camera, but will consider camera's less than this, but not a lot more.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting three IP cameras in our new testing laboratory in Sydney Australia to record some tests we do. Both video and also some time lapse. They will not be used for surveillance although I don't think that changes things other than the low light levels requirement.

The camera's will not be used in low light levels so night vision isn't relevant at all.

We require analog zoom (controlled through IP), pan and tilt so a PTZ camera I understand.

Examples of distances and width of image at that distance are the following;

- 5m focal distance, 3m width of image
- 10m zoom ditance, 8m width of image
- 4m zoom, 10m width of image.

4k (8MP) would be preference but have a feeling prices will dictate we settle for 1080p cameras (aka 2MP) or 4MP.

Would prefer a microphone, but we could look at external microphones if required.

The camera's won't be in an area that is overly dusty, although it is an Engineering testing laboratory that may contain dust on occasions.

I think I will be capped at 500 USD (650 AUD) a camera, but will consider camera's less than this, but not a lot more.
Hi Pete,

Do you have fps requirements?

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Pete,

Do you have fps requirements?
No fps requirement really. Although one of them would be beneficial to have 30fps at full resolution... and somewhat useful to have 60fps at reduced resolution, say 720p... But it's not critical.

Any high speed video will be done by other video camera's.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More detail about what you want to record would be helpful. My first thought was actually whether a video camera on a tripod would be more appropriate than a security camera.

Most security cameras have lackluster microphones. can you expand on the audio requirements.

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I really don't know a lot so throwing these options out there to see if I am looking at the wrong things...

I would imagine these will mount on a colum or wall, rather than ceiling mounted. They are used for recording what happens, not security after all.

It appears I need a FOV of between 30 degrees to 65 degrees from my calcs.. I am happy to limit it to 60 degrees which seems more feasible with camera lens options I think...

I looked at the Duhua but they will likely be out of what I will get allocated after a quick google search here in Australia.

Maybe these but thinking they will push over

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/au/products/sd60225u-hni-10001.html

I then stumbled accross these (I believe Hikvision get mixed reviews here huh)... Thinking the dome might be nice from long term dust problem (even though it won't be overly dusty and they will be elevated.

Hikvision DS-2DE4A220IW-DE 2MP IP66 Network IR50m mini PTZ dome Camera 20X onvif | eBay

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
More detail about what you want to record would be helpful. My first thought was actually whether a video camera on a tripod would be more appropriate than a security camera.

Most security cameras have lackluster microphones. can you expand on the audio requirements.
The reason for the IP camera's is so we have video of one area from the same angle every time. This same camera may be moved to record something else, but will return it back to the same PT&Z to record a motion platform we have (It's actually a small seismic/shake table). The frequencies of the movement is somewhat high (say typically up to 10Hz, but could be up to 100Hz) so I don't expect to capture everything smoothly for this as that is what our other video cameras are for. It's more so when we put something together of things we've tested that they are all shot from the same angle and zoom.

The other spaces (the other two camera's) are more slow moving tests where we will be breaking 10m concrete beams, Or maybe a 4m tall column. This is a Civil Engineeering testing laboratory. The idea here is so we can also showcase the tests from the same angles and zoom, but also have time lapse when we are building things or pouring concrete beams etc.

So the camera's aren't necessarily there for close up shots of failures or high speed shots of failures or shaking, as we will position other camera's there for that.

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Audio requirements is more to capture when things go bang, or when things are creaking and groaning on our table or for announcements of what is being tested. It's more for records and piecing all our videos together.

I hear you about whether these are the best, but the thought was they are always there, they can always be recording, and that its pretty easy to record the video from any computer we have near by at the time. We have been slack in the past and had difficulties putting presentable videos together. I stress presentable, rather than "scientific" however...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZ presets will allow you to return to the same positions. A powered external microphone seems better suited than the built in microphones. You could also hook up some other microphones directly to the computer or nvr that will be recording the cameras. If you could actually put some type of mic on the beam under stress you'd capture some interesting sound.

Concrete dust is pretty nasty, in those areas I'd use a PTZ with a dome to protect it.

What sort of restrictions to you have on suppliers / vendors as far as sourcing this stuff?

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't think I have limits on suppliers or brands, that something I asked but they didn't think I'd have restrictions. We have restrictions due to agreements on a lot of other electrical gear but supposedly not these.

In saying that, I would imagine it needs to be am Australian distributor that is reasonably accessible for then to buy from (no ebay for instance).

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So its proving harder than expected to find something that is somewhat dust resistant (either dome or a wiper based camera) with PTZ that covers a fov (horizontal) of 30 - 100 degrees preferably.

I am hoping someone may have a suggestion. Based in Australia and limit is $3k a camera give or take.

Otherwise I will end up with Axis M5525-E at this stage according to our Audio Visual Department which doesn't have the wide fov unfortunately.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a list of some dahua products you should probably look at. There's a huge range here in price and quality. Different schools of though on this too, buy a really good tough camera that's expensive or something that you hope is durable enough but cheap enough to replace. Zoom ranges vary, lower zoom will generally have a wider maximum fov and are generally less expensive. You aren't recording in the dark, but the starlight cameras will get better images in illuminated conditions too. Trade offs on resolution too, more pixels sometimes just means more noise (without enough light or good enough optics) but in this context it could also mean you gain some important detail. Pay attention to sensor size and realize a 1/2.8" sensor is bigger than 1/3" etc.
EPC230U-PTZ | Dahua Technology
SD60225U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD60230U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD52C225U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD50225U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD52C230U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD50230U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD52C430U-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD42212T-HN(-S2)
SD42C212T-HN(-S2)
SD40212T-HN(-S2)
SD32203S-HN | Dahua Technology
SD22204T-GN | Dahua Technology

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also don't bet the farm. I'd start with 1 camera that you think will work and test it a little before you buy the rest.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a thought, for wide FOV you could have a dedicated fixed camera to supplement a PTZ.

There are also varifocal cameras that only zoom in and out and can't electronically pan and tilt. They can be physically adjusted by a person during installation.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I arrived at this one previously as it was one the few I could find that achieved a fov of 100 degree horizontal

SD22404T-GN - Dahua Technology
That camera does have a wide fov, I haven't used it but I can tell you there are other cameras with significantly better image sensors. There are some Australian distributors for dahua, or you could order direct from china from @EMPIRETECANDY at a significantly lower cost if the purchasing department would allow it.

Looks like the SD22404T-GN runs $362 aud from seadan.com.au and about $150 aud from china. I can't speak to any import tariffs.

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Our avs department will make the purchase and they were suggesting $2k to $5k cameras so can't imagine them getting them from overseas. They have found a local distributor although had challenges getting return phone calls from dahua australia initially.

I can't find anything else suitable so as much as I'd like a better image sensor i cant be too fussy unless i find an alternative

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The SD29204T-GN is a slightly better camera but it may not hold up to the dust as well.