Camera delay/gap w/remote desktop connection...

sjcarmich

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi new to the forum, and set up a system with a Dell 3040 running the latest BI. I'm over a MoCa connection from an outbuilding to get my 2 Hikvision cameras onto my network in the house, all hardwired. The 3040 runs fine, with real time feeds from the cameras. However once I use Windows 10 Remote Desktop from another PC on my net to connect to the 3040 (also on W10) I get a 5 second delay/gap in the live feeds running BI. The picture jumps in 5 second intervals, so I don't get the same smooth real time camera feeds I do... when I don't use Remote Desktop and connect a monitor directly to the 3040. I've checked all the connections and ping tests all show a good 4-7 ms response so I'm scratching my head in where to look next. BI and Remote Desktop interaction?

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi new to the forum, and set up a system with a Dell 3040 running the latest BI. I'm over a MoCa connection from an outbuilding to get my 2 Hikvision cameras onto my network in the house, all hardwired. The 3040 runs fine, with real time feeds from the cameras. However once I use Windows 10 Remote Desktop from another PC on my net to connect to the 3040 (also on W10) I get a 5 second delay/gap in the live feeds running BI. The picture jumps in 5 second intervals, so I don't get the same smooth real time camera feeds I do... when I don't use Remote Desktop and connect a monitor directly to the 3040. I've checked all the connections and ping tests all show a good 4-7 ms response so I'm scratching my head in where to look next. BI and Remote Desktop interaction?
RDP (VNC, TeamViewer etc...) will never give a true representation. The connections are compressed etc... What you need to know is that regardless of what you're seeing, you should be recording fluid events.

This discussion is kinda similar; http://superuser.com/questions/570179/why-remote-desktop-rdp-isnt-fast-enough-for-watching-videos-on-a-remote-pc

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..this is a setting in BI specific to RDP, that you need to change. Blue iris options>cameras>video during remote desktop. You will see a cpu jump using any remote application so its should be used for adjusting settings but not a primary feed. Use the webserver instead.

sjcarmich

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent.... Thanks Fenderman. Sure enough the "5 sec." delay was indeed in the BI settings, as you pointed out. Works fine now... will also use it sparingly as you suggest.