Camera disconnecting from poe

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of different cameras disconnecting from the power and the network light stays on I bought a DGS‑1008P revision b1 (which I cant even find firmware for) 8‑Port Gigabit PoE Unmanaged Desktop Switch on Oct 22, 2015.

For example I have a front camera working all day and by tomorrow it disconnects, this morning at 7:15 I reconnected it back into poe and the one in the garden disconnected to me I think its the switch is on its way out.

Its just started doing it a couple of days ago I have 4 cameras which are.

IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2MP x2
IPC-HDW5541H-AS-PV 5MP
IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP

Anything I can do before I buy a new switch?

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have a couple of different cameras disconnecting from the power and the network light stays on I bought a DGS‑1008P revision b1 (which I cant even find firmware for) 8‑Port Gigabit PoE Unmanaged Desktop Switch on Oct 22, 2015.

For example I have a front camera working all day and by tomorrow it disconnects, this morning at 7:15 I reconnected it back into poe and the one in the garden disconnected to me I think its the switch is on its way out.

Its just started doing it a couple of days ago I have 4 cameras which are.

IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2MP x2
IPC-HDW5541H-AS-PV 5MP
IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP

Anything I can do before I buy a new switch?
the power is not enough, buy a latest new switch, better with POE+

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought power would be enough around 10 watt each cam with ir on.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you think this will do it's same model but upgraded D-Link DGS-1008P/E 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Metal Switch with 4 PoE+ Port - Up to 30 W per Port with 68 W PoE Budget
My original b version is
• Supports IEEE 802.3af
• Supplies power to PD: up to 15.4Watts
• Total PoE budget: 52Watts

So another 15 per port should be enough yes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The current switch has way more then enough power. The cameras draw only a few watts. Even with ir on its 5-7w. It may be dying or there is a cable issue.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The current switch has way more then enough power. The cameras draw only a few watts. Even with ir on its 5-7w. It may be dying or there is a cable issue.
Yes that's what I thought its running fine at the moment but normally does untill the morning.

I have setup blue iris to email when it loses power so I can see if it's around the same time and same two cameras.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I find that if this happens, it coincides with low voltage, battery dips.
What inside the switch or the camera? I have very little knowledge on this.

So far power dropped

Apr 17, 7:28 AM same camera
Apr 18, Never dropped power all day but did swap all the wires around in the switch around tea time
Apr 19, 7:53 AM same camera
Apr 20, Never dropped power all day Made the camera do a health check every hour through email
Apr 21, Never dropped power all day

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have any means to view the power consumption in your switch? Preferably per port?

To fully eliminate cabling, re-enable your testbench: take down the camera, and put it next to your POE switch with a factory-made 1 meter UTP cable. If the cam fails again, plugin to a second port. If the cam fails again, use a POE injector or another (test) POE switch. If it then works, it is your POE switch. Otherwise it is your cam.

Lots of work to debug, but otherwise it's guessing!

Good luck!
CC

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I have eliminated the switch defiantly not that so its down to the camera or cable very strange that its around the same time frame though and did not drop while sending health checks emails until the day after I turned it off mega confusing.

Apr 17, 7:28 AM same camera
Apr 18, Never dropped power all day but did swap all the wires around in the switch around tea time
Apr 19, 7:53 AM same camera
Apr 20, Never dropped power all day Made the camera do a health check every hour through email
Apr 21, Never dropped power all day
Apr 22, Never dropped power all day New Switch installed
Apr 23, Never dropped power all day Turned off health check
Apr 24, 7:38 AM same camera dropped

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, if you have drilled down that it's the camera or cable: are you able to "attach" another camera (same type so you can re-use the softfit for example) ?

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No unfortunately I don't have another's one of those cameras. I think my next step is factory reset the camera and start fresh with default settings and see if it drops.

Then if it fails I have no choice but to take it down and bring it in the house will need to buy a new wire to test it though so will leave that as my last option.

Update Disconnected at 4:40 PM couple of hours after the factory reset. Now took the camera down and connected it to a spare Ethernet I found in the house.

Last edited:

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update on this thread the camera has not dropped once since I have brought it inside and put it on a short cable I found lying around so it must be it. Currently waiting for a new one to get delivered to put it back up.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Just an update on this thread the camera has not dropped once since I have brought it inside and put it on a short cable I found lying around so it must be it. Currently waiting for a new one to get delivered to put it back up.
Well done in finding the root cause!

Happy Camming!
CC