Camera good enough to monitor cash transactions in a shop

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my friend who owns a shop needs a camera to be able to monitor/record cash payments between him and his customers. The camera must be good enough to be able to zoom in and identify the cash notes.

Any recommendation?

Was planning to install the camera on a blueiris pc for him.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the budget. Less than 150 USD if possible

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx no audio recording needed.

I have tried my IPC-HDW2231R-ZS at his shop and while quality is great ... it had difficulty recognizing the cash notes ... :( I guess a camera with higher resolution is needed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thx. I will check the dahua 4k models

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't buy China region hacked cameras.... Varifocal will allow you to zoom in precisely to get the proper field of view and the most pixels

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How to know if it is region locked? Ask the seller?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How to know if it is region locked? Ask the seller?
Check that the model number is available on the dahua international or us site. If it is not it's hacked.... There are a bunch of threads that discuss this.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok I have been reading a bit more on these region locked/hacked dahua cameras. Apart from not being able to upgrade them, what are the other disadvantages?
If you are not connecting the cameras to the internet, this should not be a problem right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok I have been reading a bit more on these region locked/hacked dahua cameras. Apart from not being able to upgrade them, what are the other disadvantages?
If you are not connecting the cameras to the internet, this should not be a problem right?
inferior sensors, sometimes inferior casing...but hey, you save a few bux...

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if it is used only indoors, they should be ok right?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If a 2MP starlight zoomed to max (about 12mm) is not enough, even 8MP zoomed the same might not be enough. More zoom is more important than more pixels.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If a 2MP starlight zoomed to max (about 12mm) is not enough, even 8MP zoomed the same might not be enough. More zoom is more important than more pixels.
thx for the reply. But the problem is zooming in will cover less "area" ... so more cameras will be needed then

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. Consider this.

A U.S. dollar bill is 6.14 " x 2.61".
This picture is 200 pixels wide.

To capture quality similar to that, you would need to capture 400 pixels per foot. According to IPVM Camera Calculator V3 that would require an IPC-HDW2231R-ZS to be no more than 9 feet away, using max zoom. The video frame would cover an area about 4.7 feet wide, so not a lot more than the area immediately around a cash register.

Under ideal circumstances (good lens/focus), an 8 MP camera would let you double that width to about 9.4 feet while still retaining the same quality.

Of course you don't necessarily need 400 pixels per foot either. Less should be able to work too under good lighting and using a fast shutter speed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thx for the reply. But the problem is zooming in will cover less "area" ... so more cameras will be needed then
That's the number 1 mistake people make, trying to use to few cameras to cover an area.
When you tried your camera, at what height was it mounted above the counter?
If it was farther then 9ft, you could always lower it some.