Camera image has purple tint after installation

vinmassaro

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a Lorex IP 1080p camera system a few years ago and never got around to putting up the cameras at the side and rear of the house until now.

One of the cameras seems to have a purple tint to the image so I thought the IR filter was stuck and swapped it out with a different camera but the image appears the same. Could this be caused by damage to the ethernet cable? I thought I may have gotten some dirt in the RJ45 jack on one end so I tried to make sure the pins were clear with a jeweler's screwdriver. I tested it with an RJ45 tester and every pin lights up green.

I am attaching two photos, one of the back yard that looks normal to me, and one of the side yard that looks purple to me. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

side purple.jpg
rear.jpg

vinmassaro

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, not able to get the purple to go away. Both cameras are using the default image settings so you can see the difference between them.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You may be dealing with a stuck IR filter. Have you tried changing from Vivid to Soft in your UI settings? Try changing from WDR to BLC to HLC to Stop a few times. Hopefully can sort itself out. Is your RJ45 Cable kinked in any shape and form? Is the tester showing all signals OK? I'm sure we all have experienced this before. Its happened to be, manipulating between WDR, BLC, HLC, and Stop worked for me :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a stuck IR filter. Defects in the cable connection would never exhibit this type of issue as the data is digital. Both of those images look bad. What model?

vinmassaro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. Turning night mode on and off a few times did not change anything. I logged into the NVR from Internet Explorer (only thing it supports) and found a hidden setting I never noticed before under 'Scene Mode' that allows me to adjust the red and blue gain. They were both set at default but turning down the red seems to have fixed the image. I never had such a noticeable default image issue on other cameras before, but this seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How does one go about fixing this on their own? I had this issue once on one camera but the problem hasn't resurfaced. If it does occur again, is there anything we can do to prevent this from occurring again?

This is a stuck IR filter. Defects in the cable connection would never exhibit this type of issue as the data is digital.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How does one go about fixing this on their own? I had this issue once on one camera but the problem hasn't resurfaced. If it does occur again, is there anything we can do to prevent this from occurring again?
Short of disassembling it, which i dont recommend, hitting it while toggling ir works...if it keeps sticking, toss it unless you got time on your hands and want to tinker.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had that same issue happen with one of my cameras. What I first did was factory defaulting the camera and when it booted back up, everything looked back to normal. Then going back to the image settings and playing with options like WDR, HLC, BLC, etc the purple hue came back. Concluded with an issue with the camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thankfully, the issues hasn't resurfaced on that one particular unit I have. I'll stick to the wise words, if it ain't broken, don't touch it. :p