Camera Installation Placement

3vader

n3wb
Reaction score
I have only purchased and installed Green- IPC-T5442T-ZE Camera. Here is an outline of property close to 1 acre. Used IPVM software for future camera placement installation. I would like to buy and install the following 2 (Red and Orange) to cover front area of property. Thoughts, ideas... BTW Andy recommended bullet camera. Open to moving cameras if needed. Thanks in advance.

Orange- IPC-T2431T-AS- 4MP Starlight Turret Camera
Red- IPC-B5442E-ZE Bullet Camera
Green- IPC-T5442T-ZE- Ultra Low Light IP Camera,Starlight IR Motorized 2.7mm-12mm Lens Turret Camera

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have only purchased and installed Green- IPC-T5442T-ZE Camera. Here is an outline of property close to 1 acre. Used IPVM software for future camera placement installation. I would like to buy and install the following 2 (Red and Orange) to cover front area of property. Thoughts, ideas... BTW Andy recommended bullet camera. Open to moving cameras if needed. Thanks in advance.

Orange- IPC-T2431T-AS- 4MP Starlight Turret Camera
Red- IPC-B5442E-ZE Bullet Camera
Green- IPC-T5442T-ZE- Ultra Low Light IP Camera,Starlight IR Motorized 2.7mm-12mm Lens Turret Camera
Hi @3vader

Play with the ZE model a bit, try to test it under various conditions and see what you want from the camera.

Personally I'd focus that camera to cover the entrance to your driveway with 100 ppf or better...

See the blue mark up in the following image ..

Attachments

3vader

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @3vader

Play with the ZE model a bit, try to test it under various conditions and see what you want from the camera.

Personally I'd focus that camera to cover the entrance to your driveway with 100 ppf or better...

See the blue mark up in the following image ..
Thanks Mat200. I will definitely test/position it to the front entrance of driveway. Thanks for input.

Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve with the current 5442 cam? Right now it is a good overview that may give you a face shot when they get close to the house, but a door checker at the car in the pic will not have a good face shot. It is too zoomed out (wide angle). Walk that view in day and night. Go to the car and see if you can get a good shot of your face.

What are you trying to achieve in the other two locations? Overview or identification of a trespasser? Set that 5442 on a test rig and walk the area. Use the varifocal to see what you can get out of it in those positions.

Defining what you want from a cam position/view is the most important part of the plan. Testing BEFORE you mount is imperative.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even more important of a test is someone you do not know.

You watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me". Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Try it with someone you don't know.

3vader

n3wb
Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve with the current 5442 cam? Right now it is a good overview that may give you a face shot when they get close to the house, but a door checker at the car in the pic will not have a good face shot. It is too zoomed out (wide angle). Walk that view in day and night. Go to the car and see if you can get a good shot of your face.

What are you trying to achieve in the other two locations? Overview or identification of a trespasser? Set that 5442 on a test rig and walk the area. Use the varifocal to see what you can get out of it in those positions.

Defining what you want from a cam position/view is the most important part of the plan. Testing BEFORE you mount is imperative.
Thanks for input. I have decided to move 5542 to face driveway area to cover gate and main driveway entrance. My idea of bullet camera was to identify zoom trespassers or someone parked outside gate after hours. Definitely going to continue to test.

3vader

n3wb
Reaction score
Even more important of a test is someone you do not know.

You watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me". Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Try it with someone you don't know.
Thanks for input wittaj. Definitely taking your advice. "Even more important of a test is someone you do not know."

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, tell a neighbor if they have someone over to call you and have their guest walk up to the car and then see if you can get a clean capture of the face that the police could use to ID someone. If not, then all the camera can do is say what time it happened.