Camera installation question???

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really like the EnGenius ENH500v3 specs. 867Mbps. The Ubiquiti bridges at that price point or even higher priced are at 150Mbps. What am I missing?

Maybe I'm not looking at the right Ubiquiti bridges.?? I'll keep researching.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
... you should do your homework. posted engenuis stuff and what you find is private home equipment or for connecting just one device short distance... they use 2,4ghz or 5ghz , which might give you an awful experience.

you should look on 60ghz bridges /systems like airfiber 60..

there are many more devices on airfiber series.. smaller bridges are for just connecting one device on short distance.. not buildings

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's what I flipping trying to do. I ask questions, read online, ask questions, read more online. That's what you call doing homework. You were not born with the knowledge of this stuff. You had to get it somewhere. That's what I'm trying to do. I have not used this product and am investigating it.
So, I guess you are saying spacemanspiff did not do his homework? He is the one that recommended it to me in the first place.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just had a tech guy that is an installer just recommend the airMAX NanoStation AC which is a 5GHz band. Do I tell him he needs to do his research? I have been talking with people that actually do this stuff, this is some of the recommendations that are given to me.
In fact, the company that my friend is dropping used Ubiquititi Nanostation that run on that frequency. So, now I guess I'm really confused on what I should do. None of the tech guys I talk to know what they are talking about. :confused:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
all depends on range, what you want and what is necessary... from what i remember you wanted to connect 2 buildings in distance togehter...

if there is just one camera it might be possible to connect it with a small bridge.. but if they are to far away you might have problems... also if you need wifi access points in the other buildings your small p2p bridge would maybe not enough, because you create a bottleneck..

also depends where u are and if there are other wifi nrtworks

etc

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1000 feet or so is the distance between the 2 buildings. The airMAX NanoStation AC says 15km +. They have not had any problems with the Nanostation they were using, so I would hope that with the new technology this one is supposed to have, that it would only be less problematic.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
1000 feet or so is the distance between the 2 buildings. The airMAX NanoStation AC says 15km +. They have not had any problems with the Nanostation they were using, so I would hope that with the new technology this one is supposed to have, that it would only be less problematic.
That will be fine don’t worry about it. When others are calling out different frequency it’s from a completely different point of view and need.

You have two sites each has two buildings coupled via a wireless PtP bridge. Any of the hardware called up above will be fine.

In the worst case scenario you could buy the exact model that is in place now! You already know it works you just have to mimic what they did for settings.

I’m the last guy to piss on anyone wanting to do something for a friend. So go narrow down the hardware fire off the items with costs for your Buddy for sign off.

Rock On . . .

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I will be needing to get a new switch. How important is it to use a Ubiquiti switch? If deemed necessary, I will get it. What advantage can I expect?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I will be needing to get a new switch. How important is it to use a Ubiquiti switch? If deemed necessary, I will get it. What advantage can I expect?
It’s not important vs if everything is the same it makes it easier to learn and find information to setup for X vs Y. You go and buy a Cisco switch well you’re going to have to sit down and learn the Cisco way.

You go HP the same . . .

It’s up to you to decide how many extra barriers will be there on day one. If you go with the UniFi line everything is dumbed down to make out of the box changes as point & shoot.

You want more control and power you buy the EdgeSwitch line.

There is no right or wrong comes down to your skill level and how fast X needs to be up.

Just take your time and just Google, ask, read. You’ll decide on something based on your comfort level and the budget allocated.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Sensing a case of analysis paralysis starting to form. Been there, done that... going to do it again at some point in the near future.

The network requirements you've shared seem pretty plain vanilla. Nothing I've heard requires anything extravagant. Flat network, no VLANS, each site supports either 8 or 4 IP cams with a wireless bridge component for buildings up to 1000ft apart. 60GHz is pretty pricey.

Keeping with the KISS principle: your focus for the switch(es) should be ensuring they have enough PoE power for existing cameras, with hopefully some extra power remaining for when you add more cameras. Consider getting multiple switches with a smaller port counts instead of one switch with high port count (two 4-port instead of one 8-port, or two 8's instead of one 16, etc). If one switch goes down, you will most likely maintain the operation of the cameras on the remaining switch in that area of the site.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll add if space is an issue insure you read the physical dimensions. If stuff is just going to be placed on a table / floor it doesn’t matter. If however there is a rack or cabinet you need to determine it’s useable depth.

You buy a telco server cabinet that’s less than 600 mm it’s not going to fit more powerful POE switches. If the server cabinet is at least 800 - 1200 you have little worries about depth issues.

As it pertains to one vs multiple switches that comes down to personal choice or requirements of the business. You want redundancy and fail over then you buy more. If it’s not required you find a nice middle ground from 16-48 ports in a single case.

Given this is a farm and watching bins the requirements are pretty low! Man all of us better get some prime rib, eggs, and sweet corn when this thread is done!

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay guys. Easy enough. Some of you seem to understand me pretty well. I appreciate that. I am trying to keep things like both of you suggested at one time as simple as possible. Which means if I go with Ubiquiti bridges, it may be a good idea to make all things the same type of system for ease of use in the future.
I think after looking, the Ubiquiti NanoStation AC 5GHz airMAX seems to be a good choice.
So if I switched wireless router, would the Unifi Dream Machine be a good choice? Best seller, good ratings. It has a security gateway, and has wifi access point. Overkill? Or keep what is there?
As for the switch, would the Edge Switch 8 150 be overkill also? I can't find anyone that has the 8 port Unifi POE, even direct from the company.
I just need to hire a consulting firm to put this package together. Oh, I think that may be what you guys are. Consulting fees? Teken? SpacemanSpiff? ;)

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay guys. Easy enough. Some of you seem to understand me pretty well. I appreciate that. I am trying to keep things like both of you suggested at one time as simple as possible. Which means if I go with Ubiquiti bridges, it may be a good idea to make all things the same type of system for ease of use in the future.
I think after looking, the Ubiquiti NanoStation AC 5GHz airMAX seems to be a good choice.
So if I switched wireless router, would the Unifi Dream Machine be a good choice? Best seller, good ratings. It has a security gateway, and has wifi access point. Overkill? Or keep what is there?
As for the switch, would the Edge Switch 8 150 be overkill also? I can't find anyone that has the 8 port Unifi POE, even direct from the company.
I just need to hire a consulting firm to put this package together. Oh, I think that may be what you guys are. Consulting fees? Teken? SpacemanSpiff? ;)
I will say that Ubiquity is similar to Apple in the sense that once you start using their products, they try to make you use only Ubiquity products by wrapping everything in a nice shiny GUI. They also overcharge for a lot of their products IMHO (like Apple). But they do work well together and the GUI is certainly nice. Most of their products are fine but there are some products (like their Protect series of cameras) that are simply junk - especially for the money they charge. Still, people who get into the Ubiquity architecture will buy them because they want everything to match.

Personally I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm not paying Ubiquity prices. I actually use some Ubiquity products (mini switches and wireless APs), but their big firewalls and network switches are too rich for my blood. I'll stick to my pfSense firewall and Aruba 48 port POE network switch (which cost me combined $260 off Ebay for both). You aren't doing anything wrong sticking with Ubiquity for firewall, network switches, and wireless APs, but you will spend more money to get it all vs someone like me that is willing to mix and match and buy used enterprise gear from EBay.

EDIT - But you are also talking about an installation at a business too vs me installing something at my house. I think the Ubiquity stuff will work fine and ultimately while you are trying to be a good steward of the funds, it is the company that will be paying for it.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like the netgear AC1900 you mentioned earlier was not on the current lease. With future updates still in mind, how critical is the router compared to the equipment that gets removed when lease expires? I have the AC1900 R7000 and it supports the VPN connection discussed earlier.

How critical is wifi for everyday operations at either site?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will not be buying Ubiquiti cameras for sure. I will be getting the Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP. The Ubiquiti switch that I am looking at just seems to have a lot of watts which will be good if any PTZ cameras come into the mix down the road.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like the netgear AC1900 you mentioned earlier was not on the current lease. With future updates still in mind, how critical is the router compared to the equipment that gets removed when lease expires? I have the AC1900 R7000 and it supports the VPN connection discussed earlier.

How critical is wifi for everyday operations at either site?
No, the router was his.
Wifi is very critical at his main site. The one that is a distance away is not real critical at all. I can't seem to find the Dream Machine around anyway. It is out of stock. I think maybe keep the Linksys since it is only about a year of so old. Maybe down the road I could switch it, but for now, keep that in place.