Camera installation question???

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm asking basic questions so I make sure I'm not missing something. As for a business, read what it is. It is a guy that has a shop. He has buildings that has equipment. He has bins. He wants cameras in the shop to see things once in a while. He has cameras on his bins to check them once in awhile. That's it. Nothing really based on security. He just wants to see his stuff. He's in a wheelchair and can't get out to these places very easy. I don't want him to pay outrageous prices when I know I can get it done. That's it. AS for business, well I don't know what to say.
The added details about the business is useful. Until your shared the detail, most here adopt the perception that it is a place where other technology systems share the respective site network and intellectual property & financial data resides on said system(s). Hence the high priority on ensuring the activity of a camera system replacement isn't going to put the business at risk or compromise the tech equipment that, more often than not, allows the business to function.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm asking basic questions so I make sure I'm not missing something. As for a business, read what it is. It is a guy that has a shop. He has buildings that has equipment. He has bins. He wants cameras in the shop to see things once in a while. He has cameras on his bins to check them once in awhile. That's it. Nothing really based on security. He just wants to see his stuff. He's in a wheelchair and can't get out to these places very easy. I don't want him to pay outrageous prices when I know I can get it done. That's it. AS for business, well I don't know what to say.

I guess I never should have said company in the intro.
Just replicate what’s on site now with cameras with edge recording. Replace the PtP bridges to connect all local cameras which go to a POE NVR. That NVR can push the same data to their cloud portal service while also offering remote viewing.

All of the above ignores tin foil hat or real privacy / security concerns. No port forwarding, no VPN.

This doesn’t stop you from pursuing a BI NVR solution either but gets you out of the gates in terms of uptime.

Keep us all updated as I’m sure this will help others down the road.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The added details about the business is useful. Until your shared the detail, most here adopt the perception that it is a place where other technology systems share the respective site network and intellectual property & financial data resides on said system(s). Hence the high priority on ensuring the activity of a camera system replacement isn't going to put the business at risk or compromise the tech equipment that, more often than not, allows the business to function.
Yeah, I realized that after I got bombarded. It will just be for him to see stuff that he may not be able to see otherwise with him being in a wheelchair.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm actually at looking at just getting a couple of the recommended computers that has been suggested on here and installing BI. I will need to rent a lift to get to the higher places, but that won't be hard. I was just looking at BI on my phone. I hadn't paid attention before because it wasn't needed for me, but I just noticed it says add another server. That will make it easy. He'll just have to learn to navigate between the 2 different places. He should be willing to do that for the savings he will be getting.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. It was appreciated. Other than the P2P bridges, there is nothing I have not worked with. I have watched enough on the bridges and they will be a breeze. I have a friend that could also help me if I got into trouble.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. It was appreciated. Other than the P2P bridges, there is nothing I have not worked with. I have watched enough on the bridges and they will be a breeze. I have a friend that could also help me if I got into trouble.
Last two Engenius ENH500 kits (operative word: kits) I installed we pre-configured in bridge mode. I simply modified the IP scheme on both to match the existing network and aimed em.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last two Engenius ENH500 kits (operative word: kits) I installed we pre-configured in bridge mode. I simply modified the IP scheme on both to match the existing network and aimed em.
Are you a good aim? ;)
These are not listed on Amazon (at least there is no price) and say they are out of stock at Engenius. I may check out a Ubiquiti bridge and see, unless anyone has a suggestion.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
everything. you can look all up on youtube or read the manual...

there is everything described how to connect 2 ubiquiti locations together to access all devices (in vlans) ... vpn ... etc... there is a controller software , so its much easier to get it to work ... you dont have to deal with different brands for poe switch, bridges, router etc..

if you feel the need of accesspoints on locations, you just connect them to the poe switch, put them in another vlan,, really easy to deal with most network configurations

big community to ask questions...

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
you need the security gateway then everything is much easier, but i think there are some basic router functions built in some devices if you dont want the security gateway / .. .edgerouter..
you can also set up a radius server for more security

it really depends on your needs.. one is happy with asus routers, one with ubiquiti equip.... another one likes zxyel...

also it depends on what your provider uses ... mostly they use a modem with built-in routing functions and some features to customize ... this is enough for "routing" in most setups

who knows... they all offer something and more...

just wanted to point out it may be helpful for you to stick to one brand and buy everything from them rather than dealing with multi brand configuration.
but if you only need bridge, sure it would work ...

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you a good aim? ;)
These are not listed on Amazon (at least there is no price) and say they are out of stock at Engenius. I may check out a Ubiquiti bridge and see, unless anyone has a suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, f found this one too after doing some more searching today.
Since you have used these, how do you think these compare to Ubiquiti? It's not like this is life crucial stuff. It just needs to work.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, f found this one too after doing some more searching today.
Since you have used these, how do you think these compare to Ubiquiti? It's not like this is life crucial stuff. It just needs to work.
I was an ubiquiti fan for a while when their product line was just wifi equip, then several (many?) years back they started moving towards requiring a piece of software to detect, configure, and manage their products. Which was fine if you did the initial set-up of things. Having to take over a site that someone else set-up was a pain in the buttocks to break-in and deal with whatever the issue was. They had also removed the management GUI of the device itself. It seemed like a lot of extra work when you only had to install only one or two items. In the search for what I considered an operator experience with less layers, I stumbled across EnGenius products, and they have worked well. Set-it and forget it.

Fast forward to more recent times.. most all companies offer the single point of management software option for their products. In most cases, the functionality has matured to include a fairly decent amount of (now standard) features in the 'single pane of glass' monitoring & management software.

TL;DR
I have not touched any Ubiquiti hardware as of late, so I do not feel I can speak to how they compare to EnGenius. I do not steer clear of them, I simply have not come across them. I often look hard at tech equip I see hanging in various places to ID what brand it is. Even without the positive feedback Ubiquiti recieves on IPCT, I see hardware brandishing the Ubiquti logo becoming more and more visible in a lot of places.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting. I like the set-it and forget it process. If it works, it works for me. Thanks for the info.
I think I will still look at Ubiqiuti stuff to see what I can find, but I think the EnGenius product you pointed me to is the front runner for me right now.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you need the security gateway then everything is much easier, but i think there are some basic router functions built in some devices if you dont want the security gateway / .. .edgerouter..
you can also set up a radius server for more security

it really depends on your needs.. one is happy with asus routers, one with ubiquiti equip.... another one likes zxyel...

also it depends on what your provider uses ... mostly they use a modem with built-in routing functions and some features to customize ... this is enough for "routing" in most setups

who knows... they all offer something and more...

just wanted to point out it may be helpful for you to stick to one brand and buy everything from them rather than dealing with multi brand configuration.
but if you only need bridge, sure it would work ...
He already has a router. The Linksys AC1900. I'm sure in the scheme of things, that could be replaced although it is only about a year old. I can't remember what the brand is of the router at the distant location. I'll have to go out there to check.

If there is a router already in place, where is the security gateway placed? I'll have to do some checking on that, and see how that works since I have not ever used Ubiquiti before.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
It's good to consider 2-3 steps ahead when possible. Maybe you begin the process now of migrating his sites to all ubiquiti products.

The security gateway would take the place of the AC1900

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I just talked to them, and it was a type of lease. They still own the the equipment, and will come to pick it up when the lease is cancelled.
I realize this is pretty common, but what a sleezy way of doing business. Sure your friends company didn't have a big upfront cost for equipment, but they have spent $35,000 over 5 years for an 8 camera and a 4 camera system and they don't have anything to show for it - literally nothing as the leasing company is coming to take it all out.

There is maybe $5000 worth of equipment and lets say it costs $5000 to install it all (and I'm being generous here with my estimates). This means the leasing company has charged $25,000 for "service" over the last 5 years and I bet they don't have to come out more than once or twice a year.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They were lucky to come out once a year. He always has had a tough time of getting a hold of them. When he does, they do come out a couple of days later, but this whole process may take a week. Not quite $20,000 worth of service if you ask me.