Camera lens change and no pictures ever stored

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All,

Two questions on two very different subjects.

Lens change: I have searched this forum and found many threads about this subject but I cannot find a final statement about whether or not a new lens should incorporate an IR filter. Should it or should it not?
My thought is that having an IR filter in the new lens may block the wavelength produced by the camera's IR emitter and defeat the purpose of seeing an illuminated scene at night. Thoughts?

Lack of pictures stored: I have a 2CD2335FWD-I with a micro-SD card configured for 80% record and 20% pictures (see first image below - though not sure why "free size for pictures" is 0.00GB). Further, I also have event (basic and smart) linkage setup for "Upload to FTP/Memory Card. Yet in the picture screen (see second image below), I never get any picture stored even though smart events **are** recorded on the micro-SD card. Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks

-S
Storage Management snapshot.JPG Picture snapshot.JPG

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
whether or not a new lens should incorporate an IR filter. Should it or should it not?
It does depend on the model of camera / the type of lens fitted.
These days with day/night cameras you'd expect there to be an IR cut facility, therefore there should be no IR filter in the lens.

Yet in the picture screen (see second image below), I never get any picture stored
Have you tried searching for 'All' instead of 'Continuous' for Picture?
I'd speculate it's full, but from picture sources other than what you are looking for.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair.
It does depend on the model of camera / the type of lens fitted.
These days with day/night cameras you'd expect there to be an IR cut facility, therefore there should be no IR filter in the lens.
The cameras are DS-2CD2332-I and I have no idea whether or not they have 1/ a built-in IR filter and 2/ if they do, if the filter is separate from the lens, presumably located between the lens and the detector. The camera data sheet certainly does not mention any IR filter. If they do have an IR cut filter, it makes sense to order lenses without IR built-in.

Have you tried searching for 'All' instead of 'Continuous' for Picture?
I'd speculate it's full, but from picture sources other than what you are looking for.
As you can see from the screen shot below, there is no "all" option in the roll-down menu. What I find strange is the "Free Size for Picture" field shows 0.00GB meaning there is no space left for picture storage. Yet the capacity for picture storage is 23.5GB with **no** picture (apparently) stored ...

-S
Picture snapshot with roll-down menu.jpg

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks TheDank. I was aware of the IR cut filter in the 2CD2335FWD-I. My question was: is there such a filter on the 2CD2332-I ? The 2332 data sheet does not even mention it: https://us.hikvision.com/sites/default/files/vs_ds-2cd2332-i_121117na_0.pdf

As far as lens replacements, there are plenty out there and I have not made my choice yet. I'm looking at M12, 4mm or 6mm focal length, around F/2.0, and rated at least 4K (~4 MP) to make sure I don't lose any resolution on the 2332 which is a 3 MP camera. Since they are relatively inexpensive (less than $10), I may get one with the IR filter and one without and test them.

-S

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, 2332 can take a basic lens swap. I have put up to 16mm lens into the hik turrets. as Allastair describes, the IR cut is a separate component that the lens mounts to.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Pozzello. Are you saying the 2332 should take a replacement lens **without** IR filtering?
I also understand from Alastair that the separate IR cut includes a mechanism that moves it in/out of the way dependent of night/day environment

Back to my other question about not seeing ANY picture stored on the microSD card: if anyone else has pictures stored onboard their camera, please share your storage/event settings?

-S

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pozzello: the link you gave is for a M12 lens rated at 1 MP which I believe is not sufficient for a 3 MP camera. It also states "IR Board" ; does that mean it is made to mount on an IRC board and therefore it does NOT have IR filtering built-in?

I'm thinking of these lenses, 6 mm focal length, all rated in the 5 MP range:
https://www.amazon.com/FidgetFidget-Fixed-Board-Security-Camera/dp/B07FMV8K91/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=M12+6mm+lens&qid=1557423553&s=electronics&sr=1-12
https://www.amazon.com/Homyl-Fixed-Security-Cameras-Universal/dp/B07FDTDDPS/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=M12+6mm+lens&qid=1557423818&s=electronics&sr=1-18
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Relative-Aperture-70°Angle-Protection/dp/B07R2HBQ2V/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=M12+6mm+lens&qid=1557423818&s=electronics&sr=1-20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have put up to 16mm lens into the hik turrets.
@pozzello, did the 16mm fit behind the front glass ok? Do you think increasing up to a 25mm would be too long to fit in the case? I'm hoping to repurpose a turret (with a lens swap) for a license plate camera.