Camera location

Ed Boyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to install two cameras to see the front area in front of my garage. The soffit are 14' off the ground and I know that's to high to mount a camera. The front face is brick and I don't want to mount them there or use any type of brackets. Would a PTZ mounted to the soffit and lower a little work. Any suggestions would help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to install two cameras to see the front area in front of my garage. The soffit are 14' off the ground and I know that's to high to mount a camera. The front face is brick and I don't want to mount them there or use any type of brackets. Would a PTZ mounted to the soffit and lower a little work. Any suggestions would help.
HI @Ed Boyer ( and welcome )

You're going to have to compromise some place.

1) Too high = not functional for nearby suspects. You maybe able to use a varifocal and focus it further away at the end of the driveway ( provided your driveway is long enough ). This is one option you have with the PTZ - before you try this, get a ladder and setup a test rig - have a friend wearing a baseball cap and hoodie act as a prowler going up to your garage door and sneaking about. if you can not ID your friend in this test case, you will have an issue with the placement.

otherwise do consider the options:

2) Mount on brick, drill the mortar not the brick - the wall mounts will work well here as you can use 2 horizontal screws / bolts to mount it and if you're mounting it on the garage it should be easier to route a cat5e cable from the inside of the garage to the outside brick.

3) surface mounted conduit + junction box - again do not drill the brick, but the mortar