Camera loosing signal

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having a random problem where my camera looses signal. It then reconnects. This happened a few weeks ago. I rebooted, updated software and all has been good until tonight when it started doing it again.

Any tips on how to find the cause.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
how did u know /see camera loose signal?

explain more, did u see it in BI or when login to camera this thing happen?

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I received an email alert of loss of signal. Then opened web UI and confirmed no signal. Then a little while later I got an email confirming it was reconnected. I checked again through the web UI and signal was restored.

It's been running solidly for a good few months since I set it up. I haven t changed anything other than manually installing updates when they arrive although I hadn't done an update recently.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's stuck in a loop. I have rebooted the host machine and it sits ok for a while then starts again. It's not a false notification I do actually lose signal.

I have just backdated the BI version to the beginning of the year to see if it's a software issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of camera, make and model? Is it WiFi? If it's wired, is it outside, and if so di you weatherproof the RJ connection?

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE. It's connected via PoE. It's outside and fitted to the Dahua junction box and the ethernet connector is fitted via the waterproof connector that came with the camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
How long has it been out there and has it been exposed to any heavy precipitation? That little plastic cable gland is not the most moisture proof thing in the world. Basic protection includes a layer of quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or better. Doing it right is a layer of rubberized, self vulcanizing tape like Coax Seal then electrical tape along with the gland.

You should also test the cable, itself. RJ connectors can have marginal connections that corrode, internally or at the external pins, over time as well.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll have to check tomorrow. It's 1am here now.

It's been outside a few months. Less than a year.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just heating and cooling can produce condensation that will gum up the works eventually. I'd suspect that as a starting point. If the connector and cable check out, bring the camera in and run it on a test bench using a known, good, cable.

Reaction score
For starts, the last stable BI version, at least for me, is 5.4.5.3. I know there is at least one more newer version marked 'stable', but I had issues in UI3 with that version and reverted back.

Almost every time someone has camera instability/loss of signal, it has turned out to be connectivity related and not cam related. As @sebastiantombs stated, moisture can be an issue. I always use dielectric grease in all outdoor connections. Even taping the connection does not stop corrosion due to changes in humidity.

The next thing to check is the POE switch. Make sure you do not have it overloaded. When does this happen? At night? Are you using IR? Are other cams on that POE switch and using IR?

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just woke up. Check my emails and the camera went up and down and few times last night each hour. So I guess it's not the software :)

I only have this one CAM at the moment so the PoE switch isn't likely to be overloaded. I guess I need to get out there and take the CAM off the wall and look inside.

Reaction score
What is your network like? How is the cam and the BI PC connected to each other? Does the path run through a router? What is the brand and model number of your POE switch?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll add it could be anywhere in the cables between the computer and the camera. I have a similar issue on a camera and wifi AP (no, the camera is not wifi) which drops occasionally. I suspect it is one of six cables has gone bad, or one of two switches. :rolleyes: Yes, I have an absurdly complicated network spanning four buildings.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an ASUS router. I have a Netgear PoE switch connected to that and then the CAM connected via ethernet cable to the PoE switch. I noticed that the cable between router and switched looked a little kinked so I have just replaced that this morning. So far no more outages.

When I think back to last night when it happened I had actually moved my router to access some cables. Might be a coincidence but maybe that moved a dodgey cable. Anyway I have replaced it and will wait to see if it runs smoothly from this point forward.

I'll put my ethernet cable tester on the cable to cam next. Probably won't be able to get outside till the weekend now due to work.

Reaction score
You did not state how the BI PC is connected. Is it connected to the POE switch or is it connected to the router? If it is connected to the router, then the cam traffic is passing through the router to your BI PC. This can cause a lot of issues. It would be better to connect the BI PC to the POE switch that way the cam traffic does not pass though the router.

How are you isolating the cam from the internet? It is not wise to allow the cam access to the internet.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You did not state how the BI PC is connected. Is it connected to the POE switch or is it connected to the router? If it is connected to the router, then the cam traffic is passing through the router to your BI PC. This can cause a lot of issues. It would be better to connect the BI PC to the POE switch that way the cam traffic does not pass though the router.

How are you isolating the cam from the internet? It is not wise to allow the cam access to the internet.
Ah sorry. I forgot to answer that. The BI PC is connected direct to the router via ethernet. Very good point on traffic flow. I'll switch it out. I was just trying to save a PoE port.

I block the cameras access to the internet via the router.

Last edited: