Camera loses connection intermittently

gr8skott

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

My system has 9 wifi cameras. BI runs at about 25% cpu on a dedicated computer. The cameras and computer run on a dedicated network thorough an Asus RTAC68u router wired to the cable modem/router. No internet is used on this network other than BI remote and Windows 10 trying to spy on me and update itself (which I've been unsuccessful at stopping).

A camera (three different cameras do this, and they are not all the same kind of camera) will drop connection "NO SIGNAL" (without an error code) for just a few seconds 70-100 times a day on average. It's only one camera that will be affected at a time. Sometimes rebooting the main cable modem and then the camera router seems to resolve the issue for a few hours. The cameras are all fairly close to the router, and the router show all the cameras have strong connections. Some days they will all run just fine.

I'm not sure where to even start troubleshooting this or in which forum to start. Are there too many cameras competing for connections? Could the cameras be interfering with one another? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

gr8skott

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol, He is saying Wi-Fi is the problem. The solution is to start running wires.
I would love to run wires but I live in an apartment building and I'm not able to drill any holes to do so, or to mount cameras where I would like.

Does that mean that intermittent drops are normal and there is no troubleshooting that can be done, or adjustments that can be made to improve the situation?

A friend of mine has a system installed by the local cable company, with just as many wireless cameras, and does not have this issue.

Jareds

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wi-Fi is easily interrupted by other devices. Especially if ur in a complex. Someone's cordless phone could interfere, etc. I had some wireless cams for a year or so and it was a constant issue. I tried changing frequencies and limiting frame rates and it was still problematic. Wireless is great but for cameras it's not practical yet. Just think of how much data ur trying to force in one second. Even at 5 fps with 9 cams, that's basically 45 pictures every second your trying to force though the air plus I'm sure you surfing the web, etc. all that while all your neighbors are on their cordless phones, surfing the web etc. It's just not practical. sorry to bring you bad news but the bottom line is Wi-Fi cameras all lose connection. Even a lot of cheap Chinese wired cameras drop out a lot. you just have to live with the "lost connection" Alert.

gr8skott

n3wb
Reaction score
Wi-Fi is easily interrupted by other devices.

Thanks Jareds, that is what I was wondering. Everyone nearby is young so I highly doubt there are any "Cordless phones" unless you mean cell phones. Landlines are for businesses and people over 35. But indeed there are 15 wifi networks visible to my computer (although most of them are 5G and mine is 2.4....does that matter?) and I'm sure everyone is surfing, streaming, and many are gaming on consoles. That's why I wondered if there were any adjustments I could make that would help if it were interference. I did run some sort of wifi scanner which recommended a lesser used channel for my network.

I did have that experience with cheap chinese (Elec) cameras. The cameras I'm using now are mostly the same ones used in my friend's system that was installed by the local cable company. There is a world of difference in stability.

I guess since there is only an issue with one camera at a time, and only sporadically, it's running pretty well for a wifi system in the city.

Jareds

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
5g is way better than 2.4 in crowded areas. Best thing to do is get a dual band router though just in case u have any older devices that will only run on 2.4. The key to these dual band routers is to get one that runs simultaneously 2.4 and 5. Not just one or the other. Make sure ur cams will work on 5 ghz frequency before u invest. It MAY help. Wi-Fi is unpredictable. A leaky microwave, humidity, a neighbors Wi-Fi and 1000 other things can all affect your Wi-Fi. I wish ya luck.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to run wires but I live in an apartment building and I'm not able to drill any holes to do so, or to mount cameras where I would like.

Does that mean that intermittent drops are normal and there is no troubleshooting that can be done, or adjustments that can be made to improve the situation?

A friend of mine has a system installed by the local cable company, with just as many wireless cameras, and does not have this issue.
First you cannot compare your friends setup to yours...different structures and interference play use roles as well as routers, cameras etc.
Your friend also likely never knows that his cameras ever disconnected. His probably disconnect more than yours.
You can run a constant ping to the cameras over an hour and see how many packets are dropped.
try increasing the receive buffer in blue iris video config settings, but if the camera is actually dropping there is nothing you can do.
Most troubling to me is that you have 9 cameras in an apartment...consider cutting that down..