Camera mounting position advice

wsume99

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using the 2x4 in a bucket to temporarily position my IP camera on my front porch. Is there any disadvantage to mounting the camera horizontally like I have it shown? I do have a base that I will be installing between the camera and the house. The only thing I can think of is a bird may try to build a nest on top of the camera. The alternative would be to mount it from the ceiling directly above this position but that would be even higher and I'd prefer to have it as low as possible.IMG_20190420_123739.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using the 2x4 in a bucket to temporarily position my IP camera on my front porch. Is there any disadvantage to mounting the camera horizontally like I have it shown? I do have a base that I will be installing between the camera and the house. The only thing I can think of is a bird may try to build a nest on top of the camera. The alternative would be to mount it from the ceiling directly above this position but that would be even higher and I'd prefer to have it as low as possible.View attachment 41653
Hi @wsume99

Looks like a nice test rig!

I have not thought of a bird building a nest issue...

I have mine mounted like that on a wall, no issues with it yet.

Just remember the di-electric gel in the RJ45 boot, wrap the connection with with silicone stretch tape or coax seal and then stuff it back into the wall or junction box, and put a "n" shaped bead of silicone caulk on the wall / camera seam. ( i.e. to keep water out )

If you're using cables on the surface of the wall - make a drip look loop. ( thanks Tony! lol.. darn fingers.. )

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He means "loop". @mat200 is a VERY sharp guy, but even "sharp guys" sometimes lose comm between the brain and the typing fingers.
I must confess....when typing the above the FIRST time regarding @mat200 's misspell, the word "typing" was spelled "tying" with a missing "p".....I guess that means I'm a sharp guy, too. :cool: