Camera on great horned owl nest

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel like I have been very transparent about my abilities here. I have done almost everything you have suggested. When you said I should double the zoom of the first camera suggested, I did and bought the 9~22 camera. And when you said I needed a 2 mp 20 x I got a 2mp 25x. And as far as running my camera through a nvr, I am at the mercy of the person doing the install for me. I don't want to argue with her when she says a certain way will work best for her adding it to my website. I would be lost without her. I wouldn't even have a network if not for her. She is a godsend to me.
Believe me I can be stubborn when when it comes to jobs I do without help from others. And there is nothing that will make me work harder than when someone tells me I can't/ not capable of doing something. So once I get my mind made up there is no turning back. We got an estimate to whitewash our brick home and it was going to cost over 20 thousand. So I did it myself, one brick at a time! Just under 5000sq ft, and it took me two weeks and I did a better job without whitewashing the mortar. Our bricklayer came by to fix a column someone ran into and he couldn't find our red brick house. He didn't recognise it. He was impressed and I thought it was funny.
Anyway, I know all this stuff comes easy for you and others here but my brain is more creative so that is what I have to work with. If I tried to do what you do, with my little knowledge and be made to feel stupid I'd never become the capable person I am. I am thankful to have someone like you and the others here that donate their time to help strangers. I can't even relay the info to my friend without copy and pasting because it will be lost in translation because of my lack of understanding.
I want this camera to work so badly. You don't know me but I was not raised to be an 'I can't' person so this is a struggle to stand back and beg for help and not even know when I get an answer if it is the answer I need to get this done. You might as well not be speaking english. That is how helpless I feel.. How do I get someone to help through the Team Viewer once my friend can get my camera on my network?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I get someone to help through the Team Viewer once my friend can get my camera on my network?
1. You need to get the camera connected to your network via a wired connection to your main router or switch. The camera also needs power, so that means if you're using PoE you'll need to connect a PoE switch or PoE injector between the camera and your router.
2. Draw a simple diagram showing how things are hooked up and scan it or take a picture of it
3. Take a couple pictures of how things are hooked up.
4. Install TeamViewer software
5. Figure out a time that you and someone willing to help you are available and privately (this from calls private messages conversations) provide them access to your computer

Steps 2-3 are just to gather extra info in case there's a problem.

Last edited:

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the info Tangent. I think the issue was holding down the reset button the right amount of time. Anything way over or under 10 seconds did not reset. She was able to get it done and I did a screen capture. Tomorrow I'll see about getting on the roof and drilling the hole. Once I hook it back up she will let me know if she is having problems. Happy day!! Have a blessed Easter! Thank you 1000 times!

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typical guidance here is hold the reset button for more than 30 seconds. Sometimes it takes even longer.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the info Tangent. I think the issue was holding down the reset button the right amount of time. Anything way over or under 10 seconds did not reset. She was able to get it done and I did a screen capture. Tomorrow I'll see about getting on the roof and drilling the hole. Once I hook it back up she will let me know if she is having problems. Happy day!! Have a blessed Easter! Thank you 1000 times!
Glad you got it working. I strongly suggest using some dielectric grease in the connector for the Ethernet cable. Here's one home depot caries other hardware stores and auto parts stores will also sell dielectric grease: CRC 3.3 oz. Technician Grade Dielectric Grease-05113 - The Home Depot
some silicone tape or electrical tape is also a good idea to keep things dry. That includes wrapping a bit around connectors you aren't using.

PTZs generally don't have built in microphones, but they typically do have an input for a microphone. It probably ins't worth the trouble and it would delay your installation but I thought it was worth mentioning.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Terri
i'm glad your getting things sorted. the owlet is getting a lot bigger now. it won't be long until the little fella as left the barrel. i'm just wondering if it's worth putting the new camera up to look at the owlet. once it's gone is they other things you can see from that position. is it going to be worth drilling a new hole in the brick. have a think before rushing into it..and a big thankyou to tangent for all his help,

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My girlfriend is on her way over. She is trying to get my cam on my web page. Here is my owlet with the new camera. And this is the pond just below and part of our figure 8 driveway. The trees are dropping their seeds and the driveway and pond are covered. And the third photo is of the great crested flycatchers box. I am so excited! My little owl is so close and clear. Thank you everyone that helped me. I'll let you know when she figures out how to add it to my web page. I'm not sure how to get the camera to use my sd card and record since I've never done that before.

Attachments

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We still can't get the camera on my web page. Here's a copy and paste what she needs help with. Thanks in advance for your time. Terri

Trying to get RTSP stream on IPCamLive.com -
On router have opened ports: 80, 37777 and 554
In no-ip.com have set up and tested successfully owlnut.ddns.net
Using DDNS address as well as actual public IP address cannot get IPCamLive to find the camera.
Any suggestions

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We still can't get the camera on my web page. Here's a copy and paste what she needs help with. Thanks in advance for your time. Terri

Trying to get RTSP stream on IPCamLive.com -
On router have opened ports: 80, 37777 and 554
In no-ip.com have set up and tested successfully owlnut.ddns.net
Using DDNS address as well as actual public IP address cannot get IPCamLive to find the camera.
Any suggestions

might need a path
try

/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You probably have this information, but for port forwarding requirement, etc., click on the following:
Embedding IP Camera Live Video Stream in web page - IPCamLive.com
Did you put a new URL in your webpage? What error message did you get? You could also try contacting ipcamlive support.

Your latest owlet image is mirrored when compared to your old camera. Which one is right? Perhaps the button to the left of PTZ button at bottom left of your image is to mirror. Mirror setting may also be in the Web UI settings at Camera/Conditions-Mirror.

Last edited:

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Jack and all,
She got it fixed on her end and all I know is there was a issue with the password having special characters on my end. Jack, I believe it was my other camera that had the image mirrored. I am so new to all this since I have never used a sd card and recorded anything. How do I set the camera to record on my sd card? Or is it doing it on its own? I know you all said to play around but with my luck I will screw it up. My friend and my brother-in-law worked too hard to have me screw things up just messing around.
I attached a screen capture of my settings page. Do you have suggestions on what would make it better? I am not complaining. I just know how brainy you all are and surely there are better settings than default;) I think the night shots will need to be tweaked. Thanks in advance. This would not have been possible without all your help. Blessings from Oklahoma! And I bet you won't miss me once I'm not bugging you any more ;)
Owl Cam « Okie Bird Cam Blog
Terri

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Jack and all,
She got it fixed on her end and all I know is there was a issue with the password having special characters on my end. Jack, I believe it was my other camera that had the image mirrored. I am so new to all this since I have never used a sd card and recorded anything. How do I set the camera to record on my sd card? Or is it doing it on its own? I know you all said to play around but with my luck I will screw it up. My friend and my brother-in-law worked too hard to have me screw things up just messing around.
I attached a screen capture of my settings page. Do you have suggestions on what would make it better? I am not complaining. I just know how brainy you all are and surely there are better settings than default;) I think the night shots will need to be tweaked. Thanks in advance. This would not have been possible without all your help. Blessings from Oklahoma! And I bet you won't miss me once I'm not bugging you any more ;)
Terri
Glad you got it solved!
Try this for daytime settings.
Adjust the contrast to 55.
Set the Noise reduction to 10
Set the WDR to 6.

Other than that for daytime, it looks good.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Boy I tell you what, I didn't think we would ever get the camera mounted. I decided to spray paint the camera bracket a hammered nickel color. It turned out really well. I also decided to build a mounting plate for the camera and I scrolled out a decorative edge. I carried my cardboard pattern up the ladder three times before I felt comfortable enough to make it out of wood and painted it the gable color.. I didn't want my husband to say the camera was an eyesore hanging from the gable.
But once it was all said and done I shouldn't have fretted so much over the decorative mounting plate I worked so hard on. It was so fancy my husband thought I bought it :) And it is so high up there and so small, you have to look through binoculars to see my fret work. All I know is it sure seems big when I was doing all the work. We ended up needing me on a second ladder so I could be under his ladder and on the lower roof to help while he pushed the wires into the back of the mounting bracket. The darn camera bracket gasket would not stay in place. But since I was underneath and behind his ladder I could tell him when the gasket wasn't in the grove. He wanted to ditch the gasket but I wouldn't let him. He was getting frustrated I was so afraid he would fall off the ladder. My sister would never forgive me if he couldn't play golf any more :( hallelujah we got her done!

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you looney I will try those settings. I guess there is still an issue with the band width she needs to work on. I posted my owlcam link on my facebook and I guess too many people were trying to stream at once and the streaming stops. I heard my great crested flycatcher so he should be coming to the box when he finds a mate :) So I will have the cam on the box once my owlet fledges. I hope I can figure out how to record.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad you got it solved!
Try this for daytime settings.
Adjust the contrast to 55.
Set the Noise reduction to 10
Set the WDR to 6.

Other than that for daytime, it looks good.
I'm sorry to bother you Looney but under settings, I don't see a noise reduction or a WDR.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Terri,
If you want to record a video while watching the camera Web UI right now, go to top right 2nd row and click the video icon, 3rd from right. Click again to stop recording. The file should be found in the WebDownload folder on the PC. Put webdownload in Windows search box to find it, go to folder, then the subfolder LiveRecord. The recording will probably be a .dav file. Double click it or open with Smart Player to play it. First, download Dahua Smart Player and install it. The file can also be converted to another format there.
Or you could wait a bit to learn to record to the SD card or elsewhere, schedule recordings, use motion detection, etc.
Jack

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Terri,
Or you could wait a bit to learn to record to the SD card or elsewhere, schedule recordings, use motion detection, etc.
Jack
Okay I guess I'd like to learn how to use the motion detection so I don't have to watch so much. Isn't that what I'll need to catch the parents feeding him? Since I have it zoomed so close to him there will always be movement so I'm not sure how that will work. He is so cute I love seeing him up close. The new will wear off I'm sure. I will download the player so I'll have it. I'm sure my husband would love for me to get a few things done around the house instead of watching the owl all the time. I'm afraid I might miss something if I don't watch all the time ;) Thank you for your help Jack.
Terri

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok I'm still working on a few things with my camera but I wanted to ask if you would recommend changing any of my video settings. Currently the band width is running around 2mbps and I wouldn't mind bumping it up to 3 mbps. I upped the frame rate from 12 to 20 and it didn't change much. Any suggestions? Also I'd like to adjust the picture so the top of his head isn't so burned out. I can't seem to do anything that helps. This time of the evening it's great. Oh and is there anything I can do to make his eyes not glow in the dark at night ? It makes him look evil :(
I attached a link to a video of my little owl. And I did a screen capture showing the camera settings I have and showing the ipcamlive settings. I hope to figure out how to record to the sd card in the next day or two. Here's my Youtube. He is getting big. https://youtu.be/_Pb7KFsZ590 Thanks in advance for your help. Terri

Attachments

Last edited: