Camera options - opinions waned

miceacas

n3wb
Reaction score
I have skimmed through the wiki and cliff notes, but before I really sit down and digest it, I just wanted a few pointers or things to look for in my situation. I am setting up a blue iris system with a computer I have laying around, the specs should be sufficient for my needs. It’s an i5 4430, 8GB Ram, 120 SSD, and mass storage will be determined once I have final camera choices determined.

I am looking to replace some of my old coax/DVR cameras with newer technology and this NVR is the route I chose. The cameras in question are not in ideal face viewing angles and heights, but more of a street view from my 2.5 story roof. The idea here is to have a good birds eye of my street, there have been some car breakins and a couple high school vandals up to no good in the area and I want to have better clarity than I currently have. From my reading thus far I believe this puts me in the 2k camera with a good sensor category as I want good night vision clarity.

Cameras will be ~40 feet high and 50-80 feet away from my street depending what angle. Is there any specific specs I should be looking for, and is this really something that I should expect to accomplish with such a “cheap consumer” setup. Trying to keep camera costs under 200 a pop, but I am not sure if that price point allows for such a long focal length with “good” night vision. The street is somewhat well lit by street lights so it’s not trying to see in complete darkness, but I fully understand the limitations of IR at that sort of distance without being a telephoto type lens. I still want to see large area, I don’t intend to zoom in on the street to catch cars passing through, I want to see a good 2-300 feet up and down my street.

Hopefully this thread can help point me in the right direction as I go hardware hunting and deep diving the cliff notes.

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...a street view from my 2.5 story roof... From my reading thus far I believe this puts me in the 2k camera with a good sensor category as I want good night vision clarity.
Welcome @miceacas

If you want good low light performance you will want to look at the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight camera line up.

If you want to see details far enough away then you will want to get a varifocal model.

2.5 stories high is very high for anything close by.