Camera placement around house w/pics

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased skylake i5 pc off ebay to run blue iris or milestone, and 8ch switch and other parts necessary for install. I have also ordered a IPC-HDW2231R-ZS from Andy to play with first at least to get idea for focal length.

I am just not sure where/how many cameras I should place, it seems easy to go overboard. My initial idea is 1 by the garage, 1 by each of the 3 entrances, 1 on the back corner of the garage to look at the backyard and the cars normally parked there, and one out by the shop/garden. There is that private road going through my yard I would like to keep track of. There are dusk to dawn lights on the front corner by the garage, back deck corner, and in the back yard. And 1 K35A for inside.

I don't think I really care about audio. I am considering just getting 2231s for everywhere, or HDBW4231F seem popular for entries, or the 1831 looks like it's almost as good as the 2MP starlights in low light at 8Mp for the $10 more or $50 more for varifocal.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - looks like some issues with the images showing up when I checked..

Remember suspects will attempt to turn away from cameras - so I normally want at least 2 covering the driveway, especially if you park your car there.

See the cliff notes for ideas, as well as others who have asked similar questions in the forum.