Camera questions

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this might get people yelling at me, but I'm finally starting to set up some PoE cameras around my house. I know recommended cameras are a personal choice, but I'm just trying to see what might be recommended for a home system that will be basically bullet cameras that I will record to a network drive. However, I also want to use a mobile app to be able to view cameras remotely. I currently have a few older Foscam cameras in the house that I use, but don't record. I'm in an area that's pretty safe from crime, but I just want to have them just in case. I've looked around and seen Reolink and Amcrest recommended, but not sure if that's more just based on marketing. I'm pretty sure the highly advertised ones, like Blink, Ring, etc are proprietary in that you can't intermix brands and have to use their apps that have little control over. Basically I'm looking for some good camera brands that can work together and not be forced to only use one brand. Thanks for your time.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this might get people yelling at me, but I'm finally starting to set up some PoE cameras around my house. I know recommended cameras are a personal choice, but I'm just trying to see what might be recommended for a home system that will be basically bullet cameras that I will record to a network drive. However, I also want to use a mobile app to be able to view cameras remotely. I currently have a few older Foscam cameras in the house that I use, but don't record. I'm in an area that's pretty safe from crime, but I just want to have them just in case. I've looked around and seen Reolink and Amcrest recommended, but not sure if that's more just based on marketing. I'm pretty sure the highly advertised ones, like Blink, Ring, etc are proprietary in that you can't intermix brands and have to use their apps that have little control over. Basically I'm looking for some good camera brands that can work together and not be forced to only use one brand. Thanks for your time.
Hi @mm5300 .. in general Reolink is not recommended by members ..

Cloud dependent cameras also are not very popular with members ..

Dahua OEM or Hikvision OEM cameras with larger sensors that meet ONVIF specs are preferred .. do check out the various threads here on related topics ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Avoid Reolink cameras, except their Video Doorbell is pretty darn good.
Stick with cameras that are ONVIF-compliant such as Dahua, Loryta (Dahua OEM), Amcrest (Dahua OEM with fewer features), Hikvision.
Avoid dome cameras due to fogging from UV and smog, turret is best form factor when it comes to less spider webs, bullet can attract more spiders (because of insects attracted to IR) if the IR LED's are in a ring around the sensor.
Don't get carried away with megapixels; a 2MP camera with a 1/2.8" sensor will outperform a 4MP with the same sized sensor in reduced lighting, especially if there's motion. A 4MP cam needs at least a 1/1.8" sensor to do well at night.

Recommended min sensor size for a given megapixel size cam:

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad on the thanks. I'm definitely not an expert on all things forum, which I'm sure is obvious.

I've been looking around at Dahua and Hikvision cameras (mostly Dahua) and I'm getting a headache looking at the different models, even looking at just the turrets. I'm wondering if any one would be able to suggest a camera for residential use that might be good for decent clarity at 30ft and night color for $150-$200, if one exists. I'm going to start with 2 in my backyard on each each of my porch. Should cover my what I'm looking for with my back yard. I have a garage in the back that I will be putting some on that will point at the back of the house eventually, so I think the porch corners will do for now. I can go higher on price if someone thinks is a good value. Also I see some have all kinds of deterrent stuff like lights, siren and two way talk. I wouldn't need that at this point.

When researching it seems like Dahua is more residential and cost effective, while Hikvision is more of a commercial product, but I may be wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua and Hikvision are direct competitors, kinda like Honda versus Toyota in car analogy.

Dahua and Hikvision both cater to professional installers that have commercial as their primary clients. Neither camera manufacturer sells directly to residential owners.

You see more of us here recommend Dahua as most find it to be better than Hikvision. But some prefer Hikvision.

The link to Post #5 gives the recommendations for cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall quality day and night.

Most will say the 5442-ZE is the good for 30 feet, but I prefer it closer and would actually go with the 5442-Z4E, but it is a bullet instead of turret.

Any camera can be forced into color at night - but you need light. Don't be fooled by the cameras claiming to be 24/7 color - they still need light - either visible light from the house or use the built-in white LEDs, which most do not use as it attracts bugs and screams camera here. And they cannot see infrared so you cannot add infrared later.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^
THIS

I do think the newer S3 versions of the 5442 can do a decent job at 30ft fully zoomed, in B&W with IR....this one is about 2/3 zoomed, 30ft to curb.
But even it has help from an old street light 80ft to the left,
Home_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20231231195327_@5.jpg

But color isnt gonna happen with a shutter speed fast enough (1/120) to keep motion blur away.
Home_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20231231195709_@5.jpg

On "Auto" exposure and forced color it looks much brighter but moving cars and people will be a fuzzy blur. And note the lack of light in the foreground, no ID there at the Jeep which is my primary concern
Home_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20231231195741_@5.jpg

The newish 4K (bullet or turret) cameras have much bigger sensors and can pick up a lot of light, but A) they dont come in variable focus (this one is 3.6mm) and B) they cant use IR.
So this one has the white LEDS on full blast to be able to freeze motion (1/120 exposure) AND a street light dead ahead - 45ft to middle of road
Home_Color4K-X_main_20231231195904_@5.jpg

Turn off the onboard LEDs and again I lose foreground light, which is my primary concern
Home_Color4K-X_main_20231231201059_@5.jpg

Go to Auto exposure and everything gets brighter, but moving objects will be a fuzzy mess.
Home_Color4K-X_main_20231231201259_@5.jpg

See...
Auto exposure vs my current setup 1/120 exposure
Home_Color4K-X_main_20231231201322_@5.jpg Home_Color4K-X_main_20231231184431_@5.jpg

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info. This is very helpful. I think I may try the 5542 and see how it works. I have some other areas I'll eventually cover with a cam, so if it doesn't work there, I can try a different spot. Thanks again!