Camera recommendation for living room

blarf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase more cameras and need one for my living room. Would you recommend:

IPC-HDW5231R-Z
or
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase more cameras and need one for my living room. Would you recommend:

IPC-HDW5231R-Z
or
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS

Thanks
both of these are way too large for a living room...look at the mini dome version..

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both of the chosen camera share these focal characteristics:
DORI  IPC-HDBW4231E-AS.pngAOV.png
As a living room cameras the "Observe" range of any of lens choices would be suitable. If these ranges and Angles of View aren't enough, I would suggest that there are bigger issues with your surveillance system that need to be addressed first.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i second the recommendation for the 3.6mm option of the mini-wedge dome (IPC-HDBW4231F-AS). It is a great value and very low profile (high WAF). 87 deg from the ceiling is the perfect FOV angle from the corners. In fact you will likely want to move it about 12" from the corner if it is a 10 ft ceiling if wanting to squeeze every last usable pixel out, as the down tilt will consume both side walls with a few worthless pixels. I keep mine in IR off color mode at all times (personal choice for stealth).

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As a living room cameras the "Observe" range of any of lens choices would be suitable. If these ranges and Angles of View aren't enough, I would suggest that there are bigger issues with your surveillance system that need to be addressed first.
Can you please expand a little bit here? What types of things would be wrong with his surveillance system?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What types of things would be wrong with his surveillance system?
Essentially, if you are relying on a living room camera for identification purposes rather than observing or recognising people in your living room, you have a stranger in your living room and that ain't good.

If you look at the table above and someone in your living room is is outside the observing range, you have a palace and not a house.

Basically you want good identifying images before the perimeter is breached.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Essentially, if you are relying on a living room camera for identification purposes rather than observing or recognising people in your living room, you have a stranger in your living room and that ain't good.

If you look at the table above and someone in your living room is is outside the observing range, you have a palace and not a house.

Basically you want good identifying images before the perimeter is breached.
Very good - makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot.

Said another way - the living room is not where you want to be identifying the intruder. That needs to be done before they get in the house.

blarf

n3wb
Reaction score
correct and I do have cameras on the outside and outside front door. I just wanted something to follow through inside if something happened. make sense?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
correct and I do have cameras on the outside and outside front door. I just wanted something to follow through inside if something happened. make sense?
Sorry.

I wasn't directing that at anyone.

Apologies.

blarf

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry.

I wasn't directing that at anyone.

Apologies.
No offense taken at all...I'm all new to this and still learning. I should had mentioned what I had already to make more sense. I do appreciate the feedback/help though

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm also thinking of the 4231F-AS for my internal cams and if mounted in the corners (maybe 6" away) to keep it more discreet, especially since my ceilings aren't that high (lucky to be 8ft not like 10ft like mentioned in post #8).

But I can't decide 2.8mm or 3.6mm? I was originally thinking 3.6mm but I did see someone else's setup with the 2.8mm (though the 4421FP model) and from the small thumbnail seemed like maybe the extra few degrees of FOV might be worth doing?