Camera recommendation nighttime, maybe capable of LPR?

JoniX

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

Any suggestions on what to replace this Reolink RLC-410 with for around $140? Currently anything moving is just a blur, I can barely tell what make a vehicle is let alone see a face on anyone snooping around. The plan is to move the 410 to the porch, aimed at the vehicles.

The area are lit up by two wall mounted lamps, so I do not think using a full-colour camera would be a problem. The optimal would be something capable of both seeing the license (perhaps at least rear license, it's a dead end) on the road as well as good image on the closest 10-15m of the driveway and building (right side). But I understand that is asking much from a single camera in the low budget range.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at a quality camera

1 Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
2)Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
3)Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
4) More megapixel is not necessarily better.

If doing LPR at that distance use a variable focus camera

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442-ZE ..... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello!

Any suggestions on what to replace this Reolink RLC-410 with for around $140? Currently anything moving is just a blur, I can barely tell what make a vehicle is let alone see a face on anyone snooping around. The plan is to move the 410 to the porch, aimed at the vehicles.

The area are lit up by two wall mounted lamps, so I do not think using a full-colour camera would be a problem. The optimal would be something capable of both seeing the license (perhaps at least rear license, it's a dead end) on the road as well as good image on the closest 10-15m of the driveway and building (right side). But I understand that is asking much from a single camera in the low budget range.
Might be asking too much from any single camera. Thats the biggest mistake most make, I did at first, trying to do too much with one camera. I'd dedicate a LPR camera and an Overview camera.

Dont know your distance to capture point but the 5241 Z-12 is used around here a lot for LPR. You may get by with 4X zoom?

On Overview, id go with the 5442 series hands down.

Last edited:

JoniX

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies!

I've had a quick look at the cameras linked above, and they do not seems to be available anywhere in europe, only Aliexpress. I think I read somewhere that cameras from Aliexpress might have asian firmware, and may brick if they are changed to EU firmware?

I value surveillance over LPR right now, but my hopes would be that LPR is somewhat possible as well due to the relative short range. The cars basically have to drive straight onto the camera and then under to pass, and the area that I need to surveillance are about 0-15 meters. If I can use a cheap camera for LPR or good surveilliance, I might add a second camera.

Reaction score
they do not seems to be available anywhere in europe, only Aliexpress
A member here has a storefront at Aliexpress and Amazon (US). But he also sells direct to our membership. He is @EMPIRETECANDY and you can see he has a forum dedicated to him. You can message him here or send an email to kingsecurity2014@163.com to ask questions and order. I have bought over 20 cams from him through email only.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If have good budget, just use this one.

Or IPC-HFW742H-Z4

JoniX

n3wb
Reaction score
The reason I was primary looking for a EU seller is because items imported from outside the EU will have about 30% added to the price as tax and import fees added at the customs. But it seems that I will have to take that loss, so I might stretch my total budget to include that. The 7442 seems nice but is unfortunately way over my current budget :(

I'm trying to grasp the concept of Dahau product names, I found this which cleared it a bit but not completely. The -ZE would be adjustable field of view, and not just "auto focus"? (I'm not completely familiar with camera terms and technicallys).

JoniX

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I've glanced through some interesting parts and will have a closer look when I get the time.

I'm not completely understood about the mounting of a turret camera. Let's say I want to mount it on a vertical wall outdoor, will I need an adapter to make it horizontal? And when is a junction box required?

Reaction score
Let's say I want to mount it on a vertical wall outdoor, will I need an adapter to make it horizontal
No adapter needed. The mount is in two parts. The cam itself is a ball. It fits on a ring with feet and the cowling covers it and is secured to the ring with a set screw (see pics). The cam swivels inside the cowling and the cowling can be turned on the ring. See photo of one mounted on a vertical wall.

IMG_8423.JPG DSC_4480.JPG

A junction box is not required, but I use them to ensure that the ethernet connector is not contacted by water. In the mount below I have used a junction box. But other folks have not used one in similar mounting positions. They have decided to make a large hole in the material that the cam is mounted to and placed the connection into that hole to keep it from getting wet. Whereas I made a hole just big enough to pass the wire through, then terminated it while outside, and used the box to keep it dry.

DSC_4468.JPG