Camera Recommendations for Basic Outdoor Usage

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, after doing much research, I feel mostly set on what I want, but I wanted to ask for any recommendations or approval of my selections for their usage.

The DS-2CD2132F-I is my number one pick, followed by the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS as an upgrade pick that I don't really want to spend the extra money is, especially when unsure whether it'd be worth it.

Both cameras don't need to be the same. There are 2 that I want. One for front porch above door facing small porch and sidewalk and grass in front yard. Other one is on corner of small, but house wide back porch, mainly just showing porch, as pool deck is mostly covered by shades. There isn't much lighting at night, just some small little lights on ground by sidewalk, but not much light given off.

Recording to SD card required, as don't want NVR or anything, especially for just 2 cameras. Wasn't that concerned about having audio now or later. 4mm seemed appropriate. 128GB SD card size needed.

Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a dahua turret model with SD card...domes will likely have issues with ir reflection...

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which particular model are you referring to? I'm not opposed to non-domes.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO dome cameras (and bullets to a somewhat lessor extent) generally suck for outdoor usage because of IR reflection off the dome. Folks who experience this dome IR reflection often confuse it with interior camera moisture buildup because that is what the reflection often looks like. My experience has been that Turret form factor cameras do not exhibit this issue due to the turret design (placement of their IR lamps in relation to the lens). I run Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I (Chinese Region language hacked) and DS-2CD2342WD-I (Western Region) cameras outside with which I do not experience IR Reflection issues. I did experience such issues with outdoor mounted domes and bullets. Dahua also makes good (some say better) turret cameras which should eliminate this issue.

HTH thumbsup.gif

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IMO dome cameras (and bullets to a somewhat lessor extent) generally suck for outdoor usage because of IR reflection off the dome. Folks who experience this dome IR reflection often confuse it with interior camera moisture buildup because that is what the reflection often looks like. My experience has been that Turret form factor cameras do not exhibit this issue due to the turret design (placement of their IR lamps in relation to the lens). I run Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I (Chinese Region language hacked) and DS-2CD2342WD-I (Western Region) cameras outside with which I do not experience IR Reflection issues. I did experience such issues with outdoor mounted domes and bullets. Dahua also makes good (some say better) turret cameras which should eliminate this issue.

HTH View attachment 13407
I did look at those. They seemed great, but no onboard storage.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone? I've actually put this project on the back burner as I'm stuck with trying to figure out what to get. Too many specs and models and confusion, plus older models of the same camera, but with different pictures.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone? I've actually put this project on the back burner as I'm stuck with trying to figure out what to get. Too many specs and models and confusion, plus older models of the same camera, but with different pictures.
There is a thread in the dahua section discussing some new models and specifically the turret..

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you a post a photo of the install area and what you need to view, people can help you better with the lens selection and anything you might not be taking into account.

How will you be powering these? 120v power or POE cable?

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you a post a photo of the install area and what you need to view, people can help you better with the lens selection and anything you might not be taking into account.

How will you be powering these? 120v power or POE cable?
I did take pics that I could post, although 4mm is what I was comfortable with. Main issue I am having with selecting cameras is brand and the fact that I need 128GB or higher SD card recording.

Powering via PoE switch.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are over thinking it. 1-2 cameras. They're $70-120. Just buy one within your specs on aliexpress and see what you like. Anything is better then what you have. If you were building an entire system and spending $1500-2000 and needing remote access, that is where planning is crucial.

You are limiting your options a lot with the 128gb onboard micro SD.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are over thinking it. 1-2 cameras. They're $70-120. Just buy one within your specs on aliexpress and see what you like. Anything is better then what you have. If you were building an entire system and spending $1500-2000 and needing remote access, that is where planning is crucial.

You are limiting your options a lot with the 128gb onboard micro SD.
I am over thinking it, yes. I do that with most everything.

I need the cameras to not rely on network recording in this setup and 64GB didn't make me feel comfortable, although I didn't see anything that piqued my interest so much with 64GB support; was more of ones that seemed best had no SD card support.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Bite the bullet and record to an NVR or a computer. Milestone XProtect Essential is good computer software and it's free if the few bucks Blue Iris would cost will break the budget. SD cards in the cameras are nice but IMHO are best used as a backup to your primary storage in case it gets stolen or damaged. They don't tend to be terribly reliable so unless you've got email notifications of card failure working properly and spare cards around for easy replacement you're liable to not have any footage when you need it.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a dahua turret with an SD card slot:
http://tinyurl.com/h6f9z9h

Dahua 3.0 Megapixel IP67 CCTV Security Camera IPC-HDW2320R-ZS 2.7-12mm with 60m IR,HDW2320R-ZS free shipping
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The other dahua starlight is about 170, and well worth the extra 65 for the night performance...

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what Fenderman is recommending: http://tinyurl.com/jstabwq
[FONT=&amp]US $179.99 / piece[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Discount Price:US $170.99 /piece
5% off 09h:33m:53s
[/FONT]

Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z,free shipping

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That link has the order button broken for some reason @Anto . Signal system (PAL button) can't be selected so the order button won't work either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That link has the order button broken for some reason @Anto . Signal system (PAL button) can't be selected so the order button won't work either.
Order button and PAL button seem to be working today, but they raised the price. Contact the seller if you are still having problems.