Camera recommendations for parking garage

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need to install 6 cameras in a parking garage that is poorly lit. Ceiling height is about 8ft and the cameras will be wall mounted about 6ft off the ground. I can't ceiling mount them due to pipe obstructions. Due to location they will be easy prey to vandals so that pretty much rules out my favorite camera, the turret with Matrix IR's. Cabling will be run through exposed EMT conduit. Can anyone recommend a good dome 2-3MP with good night vision and WDR?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
How is dome going to be any different then a turret in the same spot?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How is dome going to be any different then a turret in the same spot?
With a dome you can use security screws and lock it down more than you can with a turret. With a turret you can use force and adjust the camera angle with no tools. Plus the turret has the plastic ring that is just twisted on. The garage is located in a high crime / homeless area so I would like to go with something that is more secure. Previous cameras have all been tampered with.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What about dome glass, is it really would be more vandal resistant in case someone decides to smash it with something heavy? You might need something more heavy duty then either of those options for such location.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
That's cool, not that I need it, but good to know. Any issue with obstructing the view with the wire frame?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about dome glass, is it really would be more vandal resistant in case someone decides to smash it with something heavy? You might need something more heavy duty then either of those options for such location.
True, nothing is going to be perfect in this situation. Just trying to minimize post installation issues. To me a turret just seems more enticing to mess with.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Spraypaint or a balaclava beats everything in the rock/paper/scissors/turret/dome/bullet game. Domes win because the dome part protects the lens and is easily and cheaply replaceable. The rest of a vandalproof dome is tough as nails and relatively tamperproof to boot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think mini-wedges are great for wall locations at lower heights, they have a bit of downward tilt to help IR reflection issues and are not big and in your face.. could fit one behind a cage real easy if you wanted 2 layers of security on it.. would probably want 6mm lens if your putting it in a cage so you can zoom through the bars.

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ca6sl67e

I know hik has wedge cameras too.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be going with a 2MP Hik dome. I think I remember klasipca old signature had the 4MP Hik dome as the worst night image.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be going with a 2MP Hik dome. I think I remember klasipca old signature had the 4MP Hik dome as the worst night image.
You mean this one?

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5338-Image-comparison-of-3MP-Turret-vs-4MP-Dome-at-Night?highlight=3MP+4MP+comparison

2.8mm 4MP dome (WD version) was better then older 2.8mm 3MP turret in this comparison, but I didn't have 2MP to test it against, judging by slightly larger sensor it should be slightly better, but then you lose on the resolution...

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
by any chance does the 4MP HIK 2.8mm Camera has a FOV larger then the 3MP 2.8mm Camera?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i think so, look at spec sheets but most 3MP cameras are 4:3 and 4MP 16:9 aspect ratios.. naturally 4MP is wider