Camera Recommendations/Installation questions

Reaction score
@IAH343,
I should elaborate a bit to add context to an earlier statement I made, it will make more sense: the part about the "talk" function on those stick-up cameras that I found laughable was the fact that the sound quality and power (ability to throw sound) was pathetic, it was on par with a feeble flip-phone set on "speaker," it's kind of weak and tinny sounding.
Believe me, I have the same ideas, I even started a thread on it, right here Build an affordable P.A. system for my driveway?
I think a loud, booming voice over speaker that's loud enough to hear across the street and rattle an amped-up thief would have a better effect....interestingly, some people think that's antagonistic and could backfire, I think that's probably hogwash, fuck thieves, I'm not worried about offending them.

IAH343

n3wb
Reaction score
That system is much better than a Ring or Reolink you were looking at LOL.

These cameras are on the 1/1.2" sensor, so it is the correct MP/sensor ratio.

Now do keep in mind that these are what are considered full-time color cameras, which means if you do not have enough white light, it will be blind at night and the images will be too dark. These cameras do not see IR (even though that snapshot you posted says 30m IR they mean white LED), so you couldn't add it later. So keep that in mind.

Further, at night, you will not IDENTIFY someone much past 10-15 feet. You will certainly see them further out, but that focal length is intended for up close IDENTIFY distances.

The motion alerts are fairly quick - again depends on your network speed and if you are using the Hik or Dahua server to push out the notifications for an NVR.
With IP cameras there is an inherent delay. Typically a second or two at the most. Not much of a problem. Another advantage of Blue Iris is that you can use DeepStack AI, which is integrated to work with Blue Iris. It allows "filtering" of motion events so that alerts only happen when the system sees a person or vehicle for example. While it is not perfect, no system really is perfect, it is quite effective at reducing false alerts.
Incidentally, with Blue Iris you can set it so that alerts trigger audio files That in turn can be piped to wherever you want a speaker to be to produce the "get out of here" effect.
Why we say do not chase MP. Something to consider:

Here is the numbers from above showing the minimum sensor size for a specific MP that most here on IPCAMTALK would recommend.

2MP - 1/2.8" = .357"
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555"
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833"

What affects the sensor's relative low-light performance? To get the best performance in low light, one needs to get as much light onto each pixel as possible. Many things can impact that value, like how far the lens opens, how long it stays open, and how big each pixel on the sensor is. Let's assume that all of the variables other than pixel size are the same, and look at how pixel size impacts low light performance. The more pixels you cram on a sensor of a given size, the smaller those pixels have to be and therefore each one gets less light. As an example if I took a 1/2.8" sensor and crammed 4MP on it, each pixel would have to be half the size of those on a 1/2.8" 2MP sensor. So twice as many pixels on the same size sensor would mean each pixel is half the size and therefore gets half as much light.

A few years ago (2018-2019), the best low-light performing prosumer grade cam was a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor (0.357 inches). These sold for about $165.
I believe that it was early 2020 the next jump in performance was the 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor (0.555 inches). These sold for about $155.

I will tell you that the 1/1.8" sensor is NOT twice as big as the 1/2.8" sensor, it is only 55% bigger. But there are twice as many pixels on that 4MP sensor than the 2MP sensor. One would assume that the 2MP sensor would be better in low light than the 4MP sensor, except that the technology and processing in the cams has gotten better in the two years between those cams. When I compare the two cams the 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor is much better than the older 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor in low light.

Consider the 8MP on the 1/1.2" (0.833") sensor. It has twice the number of pixels as the 4MP cam. But the sensor is only 50% bigger than the 1/1.8" sensor. Now these newer sensors for the 8MP cams are not much different in technology and the onboard processing is not much better than the 4MP 1/1.8" cams. So they really do not perform better than the 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. But if you really want an 8MP cam, that 1/1.2" sensor is the best you can get at these price points. There are a few threads here that make this comparison between the 4MP 1/1.8" and the 8MP 1/1.2" sensor cams.
@IAH343,
I should elaborate a bit to add context to an earlier statement I made, it will make more sense: the part about the "talk" function on those stick-up cameras that I found laughable was the fact that the sound quality and power (ability to throw sound) was pathetic, it was on par with a feeble flip-phone set on "speaker," it's kind of weak and tinny sounding.
Believe me, I have the same ideas, I even started a thread on it, right here Build an affordable P.A. system for my driveway?
I think a loud, booming voice over speaker that's loud enough to hear across the street and rattle an amped-up thief would have a better effect....interestingly, some people think that's antagonistic and could backfire, I think that's probably hogwash, fuck thieves, I'm not worried about offending them.

BlueIris seems the way to go then no doubt since I already have a computer lying around.

With regards to the camera again, I've got a couple of porch lights, how much light should these cameras be getting to produce a good night image?

Two way talk sounded semi ok on the Ring Floodlight when my friend used it to talk to me but yeah Ur right about it being kinda quiet.

IAH343

n3wb
Reaction score
IMG_20220422_044657.jpg

Would something like this work out ok with a Dahua NVR? Works out to around £650 for 4 cameras instead of the Hikvision set.

That being said, do these have 2 way audio? It's not obvious in the specs.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's only a mic in that camera.
Here's a pic I just took of my porch cam, I turned all the other lighting off and this is with only a 9-watt LED (60 watt equivalent) light bulb in my porch fixture, so you can expect at least this good a lighting. (Pardon the construction going on :p )20220421_210302.jpg
That's a pic of my monitor so there's some loss of resolution.

And yes, go Blue Iris and never look back, I did it as a newb and couldn't imagine having any less flexibility and function at this point.

Last edited:

IAH343

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's only a mic in that camera.
Here's a pic I just took of my porch cam, I turned all the other lighting off and this is with only a 9-watt LED (60 watt equivalent) light bulb in my porch fixture, so you can expect at least this good a lighting. (Pardon the construction going on :p )View attachment 125897
That's a pic of my monitor so there's some loss of resolution.

And yes, go Blue Iris and never look back, I did it as a newb and couldn't imagine having any less flexibility and function at this point.

Ok great. Thanks for the photo. Yeah Blue Iris seems pretty good to me so far. Now just to start figuring out logistics and get the ball rolling.

Reaction score
With regards to the camera again, I've got a couple of porch lights, how much light should these cameras be getting to produce a good night image?
That will depend on the lighting, it's location relative to perps and cams, and the ability of the cam to function in that light. The only real way is to test it with a cam. Here are two caps from tonight. This cam is a Dahua T5442 in 2.8MM. This is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and is the current go-to cam in the prosumer line. I have LOTS of light on my front porch, and lots of cams. I have a spot over the front door that is 1750 lumens at 5000k. There are also ones behind me and behind the cam. These are recessed pots.

This shot is fairly close to the cam and you can easily ID me.
Porch Front Door 2022-04-21 11.02.48.945 PM.jpg

But this shot is a little further away and my face is shaded from the pot light just over my head and behind me. Not a good ID shot.

Porch Front Door 2022-04-21 11.27.24.890 PM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 125896

Would something like this work out ok with a Dahua NVR? Works out to around £650 for 4 cameras instead of the Hikvision set.

That being said, do these have 2 way audio? It's not obvious in the specs.
Yes the TIOC camera has two way talk.

The blue/red light is a gimmick and outside nobody will see the red/blue flashing unless they are looking directly at the camera.

Between it not being an ideal MP/sensor ratio and it is full color and won't see infrared and B/W, I wouldn't get every cam in that style.

A better camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio that can see infrared and is two-way talk and an active deterrence camera is this one:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

IAH343

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the TIOC camera has two way talk.

The blue/red light is a gimmick and outside nobody will see the red/blue flashing unless they are looking directly at the camera.

Between it not being an ideal MP/sensor ratio and it is full color and won't see infrared and B/W, I wouldn't get every cam in that style.

A better camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio that can see infrared and is two-way talk and an active deterrence camera is this one:

Nice I'll definitely consider these as well then.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been working on a "introductory" post. I'm not done with it, but I figure it can still help you get an idea of why we pick the cameras that we pick and why we tell people to stay away from most of the popular consumer grade cameras sold today......

Let me talk about the difference between a good performing camera and a poor performing camera. A good performing camera is going to provide footage with enough detail and clarity to clearly identify an unknown subject. The litmus test that should be used is this: Is the footage clear and detailed enough for the police to identify and ultimately arrest someone based on your footage alone? For most of us, a poor performing camera is any camera that cannot provide this level of footage at all times of the day and night. It's not that the poor performing camera will be completely burry and unrecognizable, but even a tiny amount of blurring will cause all the important distinguishing features of a subject to be lost and therefore useless to identify an unknow subject. For example, with a poor performing camera you will probably still see a subject’s face with eyes, a nose, and a mouth, but without all the small details needed to positively identify the subject. If all you can tell is that a subject is "a white male, 15-35 years old, wearing a hoodie" then that camera has failed at its job which it to provide clear enough footage for the police to arrest someone. That is the goal we are trying to achieve here.

There are three camera hardware specifications that play a critical role in determining if a camera is going to be a “good performer” or a “bad performer”. The first two go hand and hand together - the camera’s overall resolution (ie 2mp, 4mp, 5mp, 8mp) and it's sensor size (ie 1/2.8”, 1/1.8”, 1/1.2” ,etc). The third hardware specification is the focal length of the camera. This is usually listed in mm – such as 2.8mm, 3.4mm, 6mm for fixed cameras, or a range like 2.8-12mm or 6-18mm for a variable focal length cameras. The focal length is important because it has a direct relationship to the DORI concept we will discuss later.

First let’s talk about a camera’s resolution and sensor size and why it is important to choose these wisely. During the day, almost any camera can provide detailed enough images to be a "good performing camera." However, it's at night when you will start to see real differences between cameras....... If the camera is set for auto exposure, at night the camera will slow the shutter speed down and crank the gain up until it produces a very nice bright image. These images look great and people get fooled into thinking there camara is a “good performer” based on this bright, clear, static image. The problem begins however as soon as they is something moving in the frame. Then the slow shutter speeds and high gain will result in blurry and ghosting subject (ghosting is where parts, or even all of the moving subject will disappear in some frames of the recorded footage). To prevent this from happening, we want to turn a camera to full manual exposure and set the shutter speed fast enough to prevent blur and the gain low enough to prevent ghosting. However this requires that a camera has great low light performance to ensure that the overall image after these settings are made is still bright enough to be useful.

The camera’s overall resolution plays a role in the low/no light performance of a camera. It comes down to physics. If you have a 8mp camera (that’s generally 8,294,400 pixels) or even a 4mp camera (that’s 4,085,760 pixels) with an image sensor that is 1/2.8" (roughly 1/3") , experience has told us that the pixel size that these two specs create is going to be so small that the camera cannot give great low/no light images. Of course if you have your camera mounted in a bright area (perhaps there are some bright street lights nearby), then it may be able to produce great results. But the vast majority of people are going to have a tough time getting the gain low enough to prevent ghosting, the shutter speed high enough to prevent blurring, and still be able to get an image that is bright enough to be useful.

On the other hand, a camera with only 2mp that uses the same size sensor (1/2.8") will have pixels that are two to four times as large as the pixels in a 4mp or 8mp camera because there are only 2,073,600 pixels on the same size sensor vs 4,085,760 on a 4mp camera or 8,294,400 pixels on a 8mp camera. Because each pixel is larger on the lower resolution camera, it can absorb two or four times as much light in the same amount of time as the higher resolution cameras can. This results in much brighter images. A 2mp resolution is generally the highest resolution that we suggest on a 1/2.8" sensor size to ensure that we can set the gain low enough to prevent ghosting, set the shutter speed fast enough to prevent blurring, and still have a bright enough image to be useful. Any higher pixel count and the image will be too dark after setting appropriate shutter and gain settings.

With this in mind, we have a set of maximum resolutions per common sensor size that we like to recommend:
  • For a 1/2.8” sensor size (roughly 1/3”) we recommend a resolution of no greater than 2mp
  • For a 1/1.8” sensor size (roughly 1/2”) we recommend a resolution of no greater than 4mp
  • For a 1/1.2” sensor size (roughly 1”) we recommend a resolution of no greater than 8mp
Keep in mind that the vast majority of popular consumer grade cameras use a sensor that is 1/2.8” yet have 8mp resolution. That’s the smallest sensor trying to pack on the highest number of pixels which results in an extremely small pixel size and therefore terrible low/no light performance. By the time you turn your shutter speed up enough to prevent blurring and your gain down enough to prevent ghosting, you are left with a completely black image. Those same settings on a 2mp camera would still provide an image that is bright enough to be useful because the individual pixel size is larger.

Second, let’s talk about DORI and how a cameras focal length can make or break a camera's performance.

DORI is an industry standard measured that helps users know how far away a person can be from the camera and still provide clear enough footage to “Detect”, “Observe”, “Recognize”, or “Identify” that person. Keep in mind that this calculation is a mathematical equation that measures the number of “pixels per foot”. It does not reflect the quality of the camera or the camera’s ability to provide good low/no light performance. It is a good starting place when trying to determine what camera to select for a particular situation.

Here is what Dori stands for:
  • “Detect” – You can tell “something is out there” but that’s it.
  • “Observe” – You can see a person and tell what they are doing, but you can’t tell who it is
  • “Recognize” – There is enough clarity/detail that you can pick out people that you know from the footage, but it’s not clear enough to identify strangers
  • “Identify” – The footage is clear/detailed enough to positively identify a stranger. The police could use your footage to identify and arrest a person based on your footage alone.
To keep the discussion as simple as possible, we are going to say that a camera’s DORI numbers are primarily affected by the camera’s resolution, and focal length. For example, the higher the resolution, the farther away an object can be from the camera and still be identified, and the narrower a camera’s focal length is, the father an object can be from the camera and still be identified as well.

Therefore it is important to choose the correct focal length camera for situation. Far too often people buy wide angle (2.8mm) cameras and stick them on their four corners of their house because they can “see everything.” The problem with that is with such a wide angle of view, the “Identify” range of the camera is likely only 0-15’. This means that even though the camera can “see your entire yard”, unless a subject comes to within 15’ of the camera, the footage will not have enough detail to properly identify a person. Having a wide angle camera like this isn’t wrong, but don’t expect it to provide useable “identifiable” coverage of a car parked 20’ from the camera. You might need to get a 6mm camera or even one with a narrower field of view to cover your driveway and mailbox at the street.

A good tool to use to help decide which cameras would work well in your situation is the IPVM Calculator. With this tool, you can enter your actual address and see a satellite view of your property. You can then select actual models of cameras and overlay them on the view. The tools will show you the camera field of view coverage and give you a visual representation of the DORI numbers via the shade of blue in the coverage area. Dark blue is "Identify" and then it gets lighter blue for each level. Please keep in mind that this calculator is not perfect, but it is a useful tool to decide which focal length to purchase.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been working on a "introductory" post. I'm not done with it, but I figure it can still help you get an idea of why we pick the cameras that we pick and why we tell people to stay away from most of the popular consumer grade cameras sold today......

Let me talk about the difference between a good performing camera and a poor performing camera. A good performing camera is going to provide footage with enough detail and clarity to clearly identify an unknown subject. The litmus test that should be used is this: Is the footage clear and detailed enough for the police to identify and ultimately arrest someone based on your footage alone? For most of us, a poor performing camera is any camera that cannot provide this level of footage at all times of the day and night. It's not that the poor performing camera will be completely burry and unrecognizable, but even a tiny amount of blurring will cause all the important distinguishing features of a subject to be lost and therefore useless to identify an unknow subject. For example, with a poor performing camera you will probably still see a subject’s face with eyes, a nose, and a mouth, but without all the small details needed to positively identify the subject. If all you can tell is that a subject is "a white male, 15-35 years old, wearing a hoodie" then that camera has failed at its job which it to provide clear enough footage for the police to arrest someone. That is the goal we are trying to achieve here.

There are three camera hardware specifications that play a critical role in determining if a camera is going to be a “good performer” or a “bad performer”. The first two go hand and hand together - the camera’s overall resolution (ie 2mp, 4mp, 5mp, 8mp) and it's sensor size (ie 1/2.8”, 1/1.8”, 1/1.2” ,etc). The third hardware specification is the focal length of the camera. This is usually listed in mm – such as 2.8mm, 3.4mm, 6mm for fixed cameras, or a range like 2.8-12mm or 6-18mm for a variable focal length cameras. The focal length is important because it has a direct relationship to the DORI concept we will discuss later.

First let’s talk about a camera’s resolution and sensor size and why it is important to choose these wisely. During the day, almost any camera can provide detailed enough images to be a "good performing camera." However, it's at night when you will start to see real differences between cameras....... If the camera is set for auto exposure, at night the camera will slow the shutter speed down and crank the gain up until it produces a very nice bright image. These images look great and people get fooled into thinking there camara is a “good performer” based on this bright, clear, static image. The problem begins however as soon as they is something moving in the frame. Then the slow shutter speeds and high gain will result in blurry and ghosting subject (ghosting is where parts, or even all of the moving subject will disappear in some frames of the recorded footage). To prevent this from happening, we want to turn a camera to full manual exposure and set the shutter speed fast enough to prevent blur and the gain low enough to prevent ghosting. However this requires that a camera has great low light performance to ensure that the overall image after these settings are made is still bright enough to be useful.

The camera’s overall resolution plays a role in the low/no light performance of a camera. It comes down to physics. If you have a 8mp camera (that’s generally 8,294,400 pixels) or even a 4mp camera (that’s 4,085,760 pixels) with an image sensor that is 1/2.8" (roughly 1/3") , experience has told us that the pixel size that these two specs create is going to be so small that the camera cannot give great low/no light images. Of course if you have your camera mounted in a bright area (perhaps there are some bright street lights nearby), then it may be able to produce great results. But the vast majority of people are going to have a tough time getting the gain low enough to prevent ghosting, the shutter speed high enough to prevent blurring, and still be able to get an image that is bright enough to be useful.

On the other hand, a camera with only 2mp that uses the same size sensor (1/2.8") will have pixels that are two to four times as large as the pixels in a 4mp or 8mp camera because there are only 2,073,600 pixels on the same size sensor vs 4,085,760 on a 4mp camera or 8,294,400 pixels on a 8mp camera. Because each pixel is larger on the lower resolution camera, it can absorb two or four times as much light in the same amount of time as the higher resolution cameras can. This results in much brighter images. A 2mp resolution is generally the highest resolution that we suggest on a 1/2.8" sensor size to ensure that we can set the gain low enough to prevent ghosting, set the shutter speed fast enough to prevent blurring, and still have a bright enough image to be useful. Any higher pixel count and the image will be too dark after setting appropriate shutter and gain settings.

With this in mind, we have a set of maximum resolutions per common sensor size that we like to recommend:
  • For a 1/2.8” sensor size (roughly 1/3”) we recommend a resolution of no greater than 2mp
  • For a 1/1.8” sensor size (roughly 1/2”) we recommend a resolution of no greater than 4mp
  • For a 1/1.2” sensor size (roughly 1”) we recommend a resolution of no greater than 8mp
Keep in mind that the vast majority of popular consumer grade cameras use a sensor that is 1/2.8” yet have 8mp resolution. That’s the smallest sensor trying to pack on the highest number of pixels which results in an extremely small pixel size and therefore terrible low/no light performance. By the time you turn your shutter speed up enough to prevent blurring and your gain down enough to prevent ghosting, you are left with a completely black image. Those same settings on a 2mp camera would still provide an image that is bright enough to be useful because the individual pixel size is larger.

Second, let’s talk about DORI and how a cameras focal length can make or break a camera's performance.

DORI is an industry standard measured that helps users know how far away a person can be from the camera and still provide clear enough footage to “Detect”, “Observe”, “Recognize”, or “Identify” that person. Keep in mind that this calculation is a mathematical equation that measures the number of “pixels per foot”. It does not reflect the quality of the camera or the camera’s ability to provide good low/no light performance. It is a good starting place when trying to determine what camera to select for a particular situation.

• “Observe” – You can see a person and tell what they are doing, but you can’t tell who it is
  • “Recognize” – There is enough clarity/detail that you can pick out people that you know from the footage, but it’s not clear enough to identify strangers
  • “Identify” – The footage is clear/detailed enough to positively identify a stranger. The police could use your footage to identify and arrest a person based on your footage alone.
To keep the discussion as simple as possible, we are going to say that a camera’s DORI numbers are primarily affected by the camera’s resolution, and focal length. For example, the higher the resolution, the farther away an object can be from the camera and still be identified, and the narrower a camera’s focal length is, the father an object can be from the camera and still be identified as well.

Therefore it is important to choose the correct focal length camera for situation. Far too often people buy wide angle (2.8mm) cameras and stick them on their four corners of their house because they can “see everything.” The problem with that is with such a wide angle of view, the “Identify” range of the camera is likely only 0-15’. This means that even though the camera can “see your entire yard”, unless a subject comes to within 15’ of the camera, the footage will not have enough detail to properly identify a person. Having a wide angle camera like this isn’t wrong, but don’t expect it to provide useable “identifiable” coverage of a car parked 20’ from the camera. You might need to get a 6mm camera or even one with a narrower field of view to cover your driveway and mailbox at the street.

A good tool to use to help decide which cameras would work well in your situation is the IPVM Calculator. With this tool, you can enter your actual address and see a satellite view of your property. You can then select actual models of cameras and overlay them on the view. The tools will show you the camera field of view coverage and give you a visual representation of the DORI numbers via the shade of blue in the coverage area. Dark blue is "Identify" and then it gets lighter blue for each level. Please keep in mind that this calculator is not perfect, but it is a useful tool to decide which focal length to purchase.

Thanks @The Automation Guy

Let me know if you'd like to help out on the Wiki Cliff Notes .. it's been awhile since I've read the entire thing, and probably can use some updates ..

IAH343

n3wb
Reaction score

OK thank you very much. This spells it out better for me.