Camera Recommendations

Reaction score
I currently own several Hik-Vision DS-2CD2012-I Cameras. One such camera is posted outside my garage and this early morning I recieved an alert and followed up and saw the following attached video

A few questions and comments:

Currently have a motion light mounted outside, doesn't seem to turn on and affect the video in this capture

Utilizing Blue Iris ver 3.x

What would I need to look at to be able to capture better image clarity. A different Camera for the Garage, tweaks to Blue Iris etc..

Blue Iris runs in a VM and doesn't go about 10% CPU utilization. Videos are moved off nightly to SAN storage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently own several Hik-Vision DS-2CD2012-I Cameras. One such camera is posted outside my garage and this early morning I recieved an alert and followed up and saw the following attached video

A few questions and comments:

Currently have a motion light mounted outside, doesn't seem to turn on and affect the video in this capture

Utilizing Blue Iris ver 3.x

What would I need to look at to be able to capture better image clarity. A different Camera for the Garage, tweaks to Blue Iris etc..

Blue Iris runs in a VM and doesn't go about 10% CPU utilization. Videos are moved off nightly to SAN storage

There are a number of things going on here contributing to your problem.
it looks like you are only recording the substream and or having blue iris reencode the video to a lower bitrate...post camera and blue iris video settings...use direct to disk recording option.
camera is only 720p...look at the 1080p dahua starlight turrets. they have exceptional night vision
camera is improperly mounted and some ir is being reflected back into the camera...
Your motion detection settings are faulty so you miss lots of video..set your break time to 30 seconds...
upgrade to blue iris 4, its only 30 dollars.

Reaction score
Thanks for the direction Fenderman,

Camera Placement:

I live at the end of a cudlesac, cars coming down the street can blind the camera momentarily.
Camera is mounted at 9.2 Feet under a garage bay opening and this one points directly down the driveway

Changed to Direct to Disk last night on further forum reading

Will review the motion settings today -

Upgraded to BI 4.x yesterday

I will review the other Camera recommendation.

upload_2017-7-22_9-24-55.png

upload_2017-7-22_9-14-16.png

upload_2017-7-22_9-20-0.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the direction Fenderman,

Camera Placement:

I live at the end of a cudlesac, cars coming down the street can blind the camera momentarily.
Camera is mounted at 9.2 Feet under a garage bay opening and this one points directly down the driveway

Changed to Direct to Disk last night on further forum reading

Will review the motion settings today -

Upgraded to BI 4.x yesterday

I will review the other Camera recommendation.

View attachment 20260

View attachment 20258

View attachment 20259
post your settings under camera properties>video>configuration
post an image of the camera itself and how its mounted...nearby objects can reflect ir..