Camera recommendations

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a toss up. Some will say bullet is easier and some will say turret is easier. Personally I find the fine tuning viewing angle adjustment easier with the turret.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
it's easier to hide the turret....and a bit easier to aim....but if you want deterrance due to high visibility by all mean get the bullets....:)

bluebat

n3wb
Reaction score
I was leaning towards the turrets. I like that they're discrete. I understand that the ideal mounting height is ~7-10 feet. Is there a universal mount I could use with the 5442 turrets? I'd like to attach them to the side of my home.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah somebody know which part number it is....like a PA-130 or something.....
Amazon may suggest it if you land on the turret page and scroll down a bit

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah i like that mount......I just drilled my own holes for what ever pattern camera I used on those.....
I never seem to have a cam match the fucking bored/prethreaded holes

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bluebat

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the T5442 use a Sony sensor? From the review thread it appeared they used some other vendor.

cm.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally I would go for the hikvision alternative "Colorvu" if you are looking at the 8MP camera. Has been out a bit longer and most of the kinks are worked out. The dahua 4K is still quite new.

I am running 2x T5442T-ZE and 1x DS-2CD2387G2-LSU.

The DS-2CD2387G2-LSU is placed out the front of my house where there is plenty of street lights, if I didn't have street lights, I would just place another 5442.

If you are new to CCTV I would not bother with fixed focal length cameras. Unless you have perfect placement you will always be wasting pixels on walls/sky or some other useless area. Varifocal allows you to get optimum coverage and allows more flexible installation. The price difference is worth it for the varifocals. If you ever move house or want to change camera location, you aren't stuck with a particular focal length that may not be a good fit for the new area.

Reaction score
The cameras monitoring the fence do not need to identify but detect & observe at ~40 feet distance. If the subject jumps the fence and comes to an ingress point, one of the other cameras can identify so I am fine with it.
Make sure you test each position day and night. Use a test rig (see WIKI). Mine is shown below. Make sure you WALK through the FOV and record the video. Look at it and see if you are happy with the view. Can you ID the face? Can you get a good description including clothing?

The nice thing about cams is you do not have to do it all at once. Do 1-3 cams at a time and learn as you go. My plan radically changed over time.

Realize that perps do not always follow your plan. Walk the FOV like you were a perp. Most do not care there is a cam there, but they will not look up at it. Having multiple possibilities of capturing a face can mitigate their behavior. See the thread below that covers this issue.

Test Rig.JPG

bluebat

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you test each position day and night. Use a test rig (see WIKI). Mine is shown below. Make sure you WALK through the FOV and record the video. Look at it and see if you are happy with the view. Can you ID the face? Can you get a good description including clothing?

The nice thing about cams is you do not have to do it all at once. Do 1-3 cams at a time and learn as you go. My plan radically changed over time.

Realize that perps do not always follow your plan. Walk the FOV like you were a perp. Most do not care there is a cam there, but they will not look up at it. Having multiple possibilities of capturing a face can mitigate their behavior. See the thread below that covers this issue.

View attachment 146254
Yes, thats a nifty rig. I have a PoE switch. Do you just connect the cameras to the switch with a long cable run to test them out in various locations? My plan is to try placing a couple cameras at a time and not go whole hog at once :) I am new to CCTV but not new to the technology.

Personally I would go for the hikvision alternative "Colorvu" if you are looking at the 8MP camera. Has been out a bit longer and most of the kinks are worked out. The dahua 4K is still quite new.
Can you recommend a varifocal Colorvu camera?

bluebat

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out mounting the turret with this -
1669407958062.png
I have to mount it on the wooden siding and in some locations on stucco. Stucco isn't an issue but with the wooden siding, the mount is a bit crooked. What is the recommended way to install this? I can't easily mount this on soffits so have to mount it on the side of the house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out mounting the turret with this -
View attachment 146585
I have to mount it on the wooden siding and in some locations on stucco. Stucco isn't an issue but with the wooden siding, the mount is a bit crooked. What is the recommended way to install this? I can't easily mount this on soffits so have to mount it on the side of the house.
You may want an extra section of wood sliding you can place "upside down" .. that is thicker side up .. on the siding section behind this mount to flatten out the mount ..

mikelstudy

n3wb
Reaction score
I had my eye on the 5442 and the newer IPC-4K cameras. As I am new to this, I would likely go for varifocal cameras for flexibility. I am terribly confused with various form factors. I like the Turret and Bullet cameras. Cameras that are placed near ingress points - Doors / Windows should be able to identify people at about 10-15 feet distance as they approach in night or day conditions.

Last edited: