Camera Recommendations

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I’m back requesting recommendations on three cameras. All my wiring is done. I have read the cliff notes and everything that wittaj has written And many others. A big thanks for everyone’s input. I originally was going cheap on cameras but after buying a cheap one thats out the window. I get to confused trying to figure out which ones to get. In your opinions what are the best cameras I can get in the price range of about $150-200? Must be Dahua, empire Andy stuff. My understanding is it would be nice to have optical zoom, the largest sensor possible with good night time capabilities. On the front door camera at least a mic would be ok but 2 way would be great. I understand the walkie-talkie concept and wind issues. Don’t need this for the other two cameras. All color would be nice but I don’t have enough light unless the camera can provide it. Three the same or three different makes no matter to me. I’m not being lazy I just get to confused trying to pick one out. If you pick them at least I’ll have you to blame not me :D:D thanks.
It would still be the same cameras I recommend in the post I linked LOL.

Can't go wrong with the 5442 series. You can get the 5442-ZE varifocal for under $200

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I’m back requesting recommendations on three cameras. All my wiring is done. I have read the cliff notes and everything that wittaj has written And many others. A big thanks for everyone’s input. I originally was going cheap on cameras but after buying a cheap one thats out the window. I get to confused trying to figure out which ones to get. In your opinions what are the best cameras I can get in the price range of about $150-200? Must be Dahua, empire Andy stuff. My understanding is it would be nice to have optical zoom, the largest sensor possible with good night time capabilities. On the front door camera at least a mic would be ok but 2 way would be great. I understand the walkie-talkie concept and wind issues. Don’t need this for the other two cameras. All color would be nice but I don’t have enough light unless the camera can provide it. Three the same or three different makes no matter to me. I’m not being lazy I just get to confused trying to pick one out. If you pick them at least I’ll have you to blame not me :D:D thanks.
I don't have any but the Dahua 5442 seem to be the most popular turret cam on this board.

And the Colour4K-T

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Questions in camera settings. I purchased several IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras. One of these cameras I placed near my driveway about 10 feet from my car and about 8 feet from my sidewalk. There is a large bush directly below the camera. In the day everything is fine I can see the car and walkway. At night the camera will not show the car or sidewalk. It only shows the bush everything else is pitch black around the bush. I tried changing some settings as suggested but nothing helps. Without light this camera isn’t working well. I don’t think changing setting does anything if the camera can’t see anything.

I placed a second camera, same model, in my front porch and that works ok at least I can see about 20 feet at night. When I turn on my porch light it turns to color mode and works much better. I thought these models would be far superior to my first cheap $80 camera I’ve been working with. This cheap one works wonderful compared to these other cameras. What am I doing wrong?

cheap camera on top

225974B1-44B6-4252-BB71-2837EA0AA2B0.jpeg91DE95BB-2CFB-4660-9303-8A00F7CA365F.jpeg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of reasons (guessing since you didn't provide a screenshot LOL).

1. I suspect the infrared is blinding out the camera with the bush and messing up the exposure. Why we say to test a location day and night.
  2. Bad field of view will result in a great camera performing poorly.
  3. Cheap one probably has slowed down the shutter to like 1/12 to give you a nice bright image, but motion will be a complete blur...

So give us a screenshot to see the field of view and how bad the bush is.

Let's see some video with someone in motion on this camera and an object in motion with the cheap camera...

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lots of reasons (guessing since you didn't provide a screenshot LOL).

1. I suspect the infrared is blinding out the camera with the bush and messing up the exposure. Why we say to test a location day and night.
  2. Bad field of view will result in a great camera performing poorly.
  3. Cheap one probably has slowed down the shutter to like 1/12 to give you a nice bright image, but motion will be a complete blur...

So give us a screenshot to see the field of view and how bad the bush is.

Let's see some video with someone in motion on this camera and an object in motion with the cheap camera...
Thanks the cheap camera I setup as you suggested. The other camera is going to stay where it is the bush can go if it’s the problem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You set that cheap camera up to no slower than a 1/60 shutter? That image looks way to bright, so if the shutter is faster, then you must have cranked up gain or brightness and that negates the faster shutter. And not enough contrast, so BI will struggle with motion detection. I suspect motion is a blur.

Um, yeah as I thought that bush is blowing out the exposure for the rest of the field of view. Remove the bush or angle the camera so that bush isn't in the field of view.