Camera Recording Resolution

cozza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the security camera game, but cant seem to find a simple answer for my question (usually means there isn't one):

Is there any point buying 4MP or higher cameras if you record at 1080p?

I see a lot of camera kits (this for example: here) that includes 6 x 6MP cameras and a NVR (Dahua DHI-NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2/L 8 Channel Compact 8PoE 4K H.265 Lite Network Video Recorder).
But the NVR can only record at: Up to 2ch@4K OR 8ch@1080P decoding.
Isnt 1080p 2MP or less? Wouldn't the camera be recording at a much lower resolution if I was to use all 6 cameras?

Also, to save you some time, I know the following (but correct me if I am wrong) - this is more of an example to understand if these types of package makes sense or not in general:
  • Dont use a Dahua NVR - easy to hack, chinese spy etc.
  • Use Blue Iris
  • Buy from Andy (looking into that)
  • At the very least, use a NVR starting with a 5
  • Sensor size is more improtant - espically at night

Cheers lads.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

With NVRs as with everything in life you get what you pay for. The bandwidth that the NVR can handle is the key once you decide on how many ports. "Kits" from online vendors or big box stores are low end NVRs with low bandwidth capability. An NVR with enough bandwidth is more expensive which is why they're not in "kits". With any NVR be aware that you will probably need to add a surveillance rated hard drive, or two. If a "kit" comes with a hard drive it will be a relatively small one. Most of us here use a 4TB or larger. If you're going to use 8MP cameras and record the main stream plane for a lot more, as in 8TB, 12TB or 16TB drives. The same is true for Blue Iris in terms of hard drives.

Any NVR, Dahua or otherwise, can be easily hacked. The key is to secure your network and shut off P2P in the NVR. Best solution is to use a VLAN for the NVR to block it from the internet and access your network and NVR from outside using a VPN.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But there is a limit to the bandwidth an NVR will accept as well.

My neighbors Lorex box kit drops the bitrate down to 4092 regardless of what he sets it at in the camera or NVR because the NVR will adjust parameters as needed to record all his channels. Either that or the NVR simply drops a camera feed. People here have reported both happening when they have tried to add another camera to an NVR that is approaching its limit.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the security camera game, but cant seem to find a simple answer for my question (usually means there isn't one):

Is there any point buying 4MP or higher cameras if you record at 1080p?

I see a lot of camera kits (this for example: here) that includes 6 x 6MP cameras and a NVR (Dahua DHI-NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2/L 8 Channel Compact 8PoE 4K H.265 Lite Network Video Recorder).
But the NVR can only record at: Up to 2ch@4K OR 8ch@1080P decoding.
Isnt 1080p 2MP or less? Wouldn't the camera be recording at a much lower resolution if I was to use all 6 cameras?

Also, to save you some time, I know the following (but correct me if I am wrong) - this is more of an example to understand if these types of package makes sense or not in general:
  • Dont use a Dahua NVR - easy to hack, chinese spy etc.
  • Use Blue Iris
  • Buy from Andy (looking into that)
  • At the very least, use a NVR starting with a 5
  • Sensor size is more improtant - espically at night

Cheers lads.
Welcome @cozza

Ideally you want to ensure your NVR / VMS + hardware is able to record at the resolutions of the best resolution camera you have.

Otherwise, you will not get the full value of the camera's hardware / optics.

Also, there's more than just MegaPixels to consider ...

If possible, and you can afford it - I would look for cameras which have a larger sensor size ..

kit in question:

1640032215061.png

1640032277620.png

Attachments