Camera region

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any real value to the huge mark up for the genuine USA version of Hikvision cameras, or are Chinese versions fine to use. Is it really worthwhile to update firmware after installation, and is it easy enough on a bulk scale to do with an out of region camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any real value to the huge mark up for the genuine USA version of Hikvision cameras, or are Chinese versions fine to use. Is it really worthwhile to update firmware after installation, and is it easy enough on a bulk scale to do with an out of region camera?
You will not be able to update the china region cameras...there are differences in the design of some models as well, like the turrets where US cameras are a sturdier design...
If you want a no hassle experience and are using these cams with hikvision NVR's then go with US region cameras. The cost increase can be as little as 20 dollars on some models..50-60 on others..
If you are using a third party vms, then firmware updates are not really important..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Y...If you are using a third party vms, then firmware updates are not really important..
Fenderman has made a very good point. It seems to me that one needs to flash the camera only if the new firmware repairs a existing camera defect...or if the new firmware adds a new feature to the camera. However, when one uses a third party video management system with the camera it is the vms which does all of the work (such as motion detection) and all the camera does is send images to the vms for processing. I've got a bunch of cameras and the only reason I've ever updated the firmware on them is because I couldn't leave well enough alone...not because there was an issue which needed correcting or a new camera feature I needed. My hope was always "Gee I hope this firmware update makes the camera provide better images" but I never saw that happen.

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a difference in construction in dome cameras like DS-2CD2732F-I, there doesn't seem to be any real difference? There is quite a bit of difference in this camera for pricing.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a difference in construction in dome cameras like DS-2CD2732F-I, there doesn't seem to be any real difference? There is quite a bit of difference in this camera for pricing.
No the cameras are identical except for the region they are set to (shouldn't be a problem if you order from aliexpress as they should already be hacked).

It's only cameras that are 3*** that have plastic instead of 2*** metal. Otherwise they are the same.

Best not to update the firmware though if you get them from China.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 1080p version of that camera can be had for 200...US region full warranty...with better low light performance than the 3mp...

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
Those are varifocal. hence the price. However, you have to do it by hand, and it is not that easy to get it focussed very sharply.
I've used varifocal cameras before, I agree they are a pain to get focused at first, but once you do they are fine.

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
The 1080p version of that camera can be had for 200...US region full warranty...with better low light performance than the 3mp...
I take it you are referring to DS-2CD2722FWD-IZS, I'm not finding it at that price. I have found the DS-2CD2732F-I(S) for around that price (supposedly). I keep finding where people are showing a retail US box in the picture, but hearing people are receiving brown box Chinese when they get them from different various places. That's why I was originally asking, other than warranty, is there any real advantage? Warranty is relative, if you wind up getting the cameras for half the price, and have one fail, you are still way ahead on cost. Over the years I've had to warranty very few cameras fail in the warranty period (and other equipment at that), probably my #1 failure across the board in warranty period has been power supplies.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
See the thread by milkisbad.. You are looking at the wrong sources..