Camera resolution

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got my computer and I'm getting ready to order cameras. I'm going to start with a few Longse. They are cheap and seem to get good reviews on here. I have a question about resolution.

When they say Main Stream: 5MP/3MP/1080P@30fps, 5MP does that mean that is the only options I have for recording in Blue Iris? Or does Blue Iris have the ability to record at a lower frame rate or resolution than the main stream?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my computer and I'm getting ready to order cameras. I'm going to start with a few Longse. They are cheap and seem to get good reviews on here. I have a question about resolution.

When they say Main Stream: 5MP/3MP/1080P@30fps, 5MP does that mean that is the only options I have for recording in Blue Iris? Or does Blue Iris have the ability to record at a lower frame rate or resolution than the main stream?
Blue iris can record any stream the camera sends..so you can either lower the main stream or use a secondary stream - you will need to know the correct url for the secondary stream.
Blue iris can limit frame rates however this wastes cpu cycles, lower it in the camera.

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So in this example:

5MP/3MP/1080P @30 fps Means there are three streams coming from the camera a 5mp, 3 mp, and a 1080? I can choose any of them? The 30fps is the max and I can set that in the camera to anything 30 or less?

Is this true for all Lonsge cameras as far as what they list the main stream and fps at?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
don't worry about it. BI will be able to handle whatever you set the cams up for.
I would start with full-rez (5MP) @10-15 FPS, might need 5-6Mbps bit rate.
adjust from there as needed.

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not worried about right now. I'm worried when I start adding more and more cameras I don't want to buy 5mp and have to deal with all the data when I add more cameras if I don't need that high resolution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera allows setting the main stream to 5mp 3mp or 1080...what ever you choose...the substream is fixed at 720x480 (unlike other cams that let you adjust it, no big deal really)..You can independently adjust the bitrate and frame rate for the substream.