Camera Setup using 18G -2 wire for power- please help

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My buddy built a house 10 years ago and had a security system installed with it, but the camera system is a very lame dinosaur and to top it off, the contractor used 18-2 wire going to each camera. He would like to utilize this wire with wireless IP cameras, but is unfamiliar with the setup required to so. Is there a DC low voltage camera available in lieu of POE or 120v in which he could power from a security closet via 18g wire and transmit the signal back via wireless?

His house is very big (about 6K sq ft) and the wireless signal is also anticipated to be a problem using just one router. I am thinking of recommending an Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Pro AP setup to catch all the signals. If anyone has a better idea, let me know.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how long are these runs? Voltage drops fast for 12VDC, for example if you have a 6W camera at the end of 200ft of 18/2 your only getting ~10.5V out the other end and that might not be enough to power it up. (only 9.5V if its a 12W camera)

how many cameras are you going to run? your not going to get very many on WiFi (2-3).. and your going to have nothing but headaches on Wifi even with the best Wifi network money can buy.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ugh-- that really sucks. The runs would be 100 ft at the longest. The wish is to get 5 cameras. The house is a very, very, very nice custom home and the wiring of the old system is the biggest shit of the whole house. He doesnt want to bust holes in walls for obvious reasons and running outside on the wall is not really an option either. What would you if you were posed with this problem?

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I am not an 'network engineer' but I thought the POE injectors would supply up to 48 volts at the source and at the end they would 'split out' the proper voltage

This kit for example can supply up to 48 volts and it says it can power 100 METER runs. Since Cat5 and Cat6 is usually around 21 gauge - I would think that the 18-2 you have on hand would handle it.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Power-Ethernet-Adapter-TL-PoE200/dp/B004UBUB7C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1466551273&sr=1-1&keywords=TP-LINK+Power+over+Ethernet+Adapter+Kit

Or maybe go with a 5 port POE switch and custom wire the ends of your 18-2 with rj45 plus using the correct pins and a splitter at the camera?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What would you if you were posed with this problem?
PowerLine Ethernet Adapters before WiFi, always.. but I'd convince him to bust some holes in the walls, because nothing beats ethernet cables.. I dont want to do alot of things that I have to do, but poking holes in the walls and repainting them is better than visible wiring.. and putting 5xHD cameras on Wifi is just not a solution at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're probably looking at SDI cams that push higher res signals over the coax or rewiring with ethernet in locations where you can.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PowerLine Ethernet Adapters before WiFi, always.. but I'd convince him to bust some holes in the walls, because nothing beats ethernet cables.. I dont want to do alot of things that I have to do.. but
It's amazing to me how many people are afraid to carefully (common sense and no power tools) cut a few small holes in their drywall for this type of thing.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's amazing to me how many people are afraid to carefully cut a few small holes in their drywall for this type of thing.
I knocked down my entire fireplace to run wires to my TV, good thing I thought the old FP was fugly and when we bought new furniture the old lady also agreed the FP had to go... now its nice modern looking stone facade with several large conduit runs to the basement.. cheap? nope, quick nope? worth it? TOTALLY..

I could have tried the wireless HDMI shit, if I wanted to throw a few hundred dollars into the trash.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are low voltage contractors that specialize in running cable. They can perform miracles with very little damage. That is the best and most reliable solution. Will run 100-200 per drop.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not an 'network engineer'
Or maybe go with a 5 port POE switch and custom wire the ends of your 18-2 with rj45 plus using the correct pins and a splitter at the camera?
clearly not...
Ethernet uses 8 wires (4 twisted pairs). You can't substitute 2 wires twisted or not for 8 wires (100base t without PoE only actually uses 4 of the 8). Also, the twists in category cable are pretty important for the cable's ability to handle higher bandwidth signals.

New wires or SDI/TVI are the choices

Git

Banned
Reaction score
clearly not...
Ethernet uses 8 wires (4 twisted pairs). You can't substitute 2 wires twisted or not for 8 wires (100base t without PoE only actually uses 4 of the 8). Also, the twists in category cable are pretty important for the cable's ability to handle higher bandwidth signals.

New wires or SDI/TVI are the choices
and reading comprehension is not yours and it looks like you went off on a tangent...

The OP originally said he wants to use the existing 18-2 wire to power the cameras. That means only two wires are needed (which is what he has) and it has nothing to do with twists or the number of wires or anything else. (He said he was going to use WiFi for the actual signal)

I tried to offer a solution based on what he was asking about...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and reading comprehension is not yours and it looks like you went off on a tangent...

The OP originally said he wants to use the existing 18-2 wire to power the cameras. That means only two wires are needed (which is what he has) and it has nothing to do with twists or the number of wires or anything else. (He said he was going to use WiFi for the actual signal)

I tried to offer a solution based on what he was asking about...
Wifi to the cams just isn't viable for more than 2 cameras and you'd have to create a separate network for the rest of your devices.

Voltage drop not-withstanding, you could use the 18-2 to power cameras just not over PoE. All variants of PoE use 4 wires for power. I suppose you could splice things together and use passive PoE in the manner you described, but there's no reason to and voltage drop could still bite you. The cameras already have a DC in jack you'd be better off just using that. Sorry I could have explained that a little more clearly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Pinouts

Now If you'll excuse me I'm going back to sleep now that i've adjusted the thermostat. The air quality is too low to open windows.