Camera suggestion

Reaction score
I'm trying to research cameras and hoping you can give me a jump start. I would like to attach a camera under the soffit (see location photo) of my house to view nearby ski resort. I've already installed an ethernet cable to the location I am planning on. I can put it back under the soffit a couple feet and still get a good view. I also attached a photo I took with my drone to give you an idea of what I'm trying to view. I'm thinking this camera view will give a idea of weather up on the mountain or if there snow. If I could zoom in closer than my drone that would be nice. I'd like to have the ability to tilt the camera down to a view of the street as well.

I'll have a POE switch so I'd prefer to use POE. I'd eventually try to have this as a webcam view on my website. I'd like to keep the price down below $250.

Suggestions? Thanks.camera location.jpg Look NW.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
We need to know which drone you have to offer advice. My drone is a Mavic Pro and it's pretty hard to beat 7km travel worth of "zoom". :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to research cameras and hoping you can give me a jump start. I would like to attach a camera under the soffit (see location photo) of my house to view nearby ski resort. I've already installed an ethernet cable to the location I am planning on. I can put it back under the soffit a couple feet and still get a good view. I also attached a photo I took with my drone to give you an idea of what I'm trying to view. I'm thinking this camera view will give a idea of weather up on the mountain or if there snow. If I could zoom in closer than my drone that would be nice. I'd like to have the ability to tilt the camera down to a view of the street as well.

I'll have a POE switch so I'd prefer to use POE. I'd eventually try to have this as a webcam view on my website. I'd like to keep the price down below $250.

Suggestions? Thanks.View attachment 22737 View attachment 22738
Welcome Plannersteve,

A new construction! Looks like you've been having some fun building.

I would consider a Dahua starlight PTZ - iirc there is a model in the $350 range which I would start my comparison and search with.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Reaction score
We need to know which drone you have to offer advice. My drone is a Mavic Pro and it's pretty hard to beat 7km travel worth of "zoom". :)
The drone is the Mavic Pro. I bought it to document the house construction. I love it, but I'd get nervous flying it that far away.;)

Reaction score
Welcome Plannersteve,

A new construction! Looks like you've been having some fun building.

I would consider a Dahua starlight PTZ - iirc there is a model in the $350 range which I would start my comparison and search with.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.
Thanks for the notes. I see there are some subjects there that I didn't know I needed to know.
I'll take a look at the Dahua Starlight PTZ.
Since I initially posted I've been doing a lot of searching and have concluded that my budget is unrealistic. I'm thinking $500 to $600 is more likely.
Or else I need to reduce some function.
Is there an offering that would have higher optical zoom that doesn't pan or tilt? A bullet camera with optical zoom?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've done more than 2km out over water checking out an island and had full signal with not even a video glitch back at the controller. Check out MavicPilots.com for booster kit reviews if you're in an area with heavy interference. As far as ptz cams go, if you've got a great view then spend as much as you want picking a Dahua Starlight one. They start around $328 iirc and go up from there.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Do a search on here for Dahua Starlight PTZ. The 25x budget model is the one I mentioned above for $328 but you might be happier with the 30x model.

Thread for budget model- Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

You might prefer the 59230 (30x zoom and next model range up) but it's considerably more money. Pick versions with or without auto tracking based on budget and preference, but it's mostly a gimmick. The first 2 digits in the model number denotes the series (49 budget, 59 not so cheap). The middle digit is the number of megapixels. The last two digits are zoom.

Reaction score
Do a search on here for Dahua Starlight PTZ. The 25x budget model is the one I mentioned above for $328 but you might be happier with the 30x model.

Thread for budget model- Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

You might prefer the 59230 (30x zoom and next model range up) but it's considerably more money. Pick versions with or without auto tracking based on budget and preference, but it's mostly a gimmick. The first 2 digits in the model number denotes the series (49 budget, 59 not so cheap). The middle digit is the number of megapixels. The last two digits are zoom.
The SD49225T-HN looks like it would do the job. I'll have to figure out what 25x zoom would produce for a shot of Mt Schweitzer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I just rewatched that drone video and got to thinking that that would be an awesome tool to have for de-spider webbing security cameras. What do you think? A fellow could even hire himself out for getting rid of wasp nests.

Reaction score
I've done more than 2km out over water checking out an island and had full signal with not even a video glitch back at the controller. Check out MavicPilots.com for booster kit reviews if you're in an area with heavy interference. As far as ptz cams go, if you've got a great view then spend as much as you want picking a Dahua Starlight one. They start around $328 iirc and go up from there.
I'm not that brave. My Mavic became disconnected a few hundred yards away. It sat in one spot and then eventually returned home.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
My Mavic has given me some issues like that but after some software updates it has been rock solid reliable lately. It was horrible for a while.