Camera suggestions for a Retail Shop environment

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
My wife is moving into a new retail shop and I was wanting to put in a camera system. The height of the ceiling is around 3.3m (11ft) and the general shape of the store is rectangle 6.5 x 10m (21ft x 30ft). I have looked at aliexpress and have been overwhelmed with the choice of cameras available. Could you recommend to me a general spec that I should start researching at that will record good images that would help in the retail shop situation (i.e. pretty good face recognition and shoplifting management).

We also have a warehouse out the back so I am also wanting an eight channel nvr system to record too.

Thanks for any suggestions.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@ravencsr every situation is different. Lighting conditions from windows, store displays, high shelving etc all play a role into the answers you seek.

Most likely you will want to look at some dome cameras or turret cameras - 2.8mm or 4mm. You can consider an all in one unit like an NVR that will power your cameras, record everything, allow remote monitoring, and handle everything in one box. The other option is a computer running Blue Iris software which seems to have a very loyal and supported following - you can find a lot of threads her discussing the hardware and setup you would need to go this route.

High level advice without knowing your setup or skill set. Look for an 8 channel NVR with POE built in. A 4mm with WDR support hitting the front door to capture as they walk in. A few 2.8mm or 3mm cameras around the store covering everything, then a 4mm at the POS so you capture the final transaction and identifying features. mounting the POS or Counter camera lower and NOT in the ceiling so that if a robber were to have a hat or hoodie on you still get his facial shot and not the top of a ball hat.

For the warehouse space look at the bullet style and or turret style cameras.

Hopefully this is a little helpful, again, there are so many variables at work here its hard to "recommend" a solution. Spend some time not he forum, you'll see a LOT of examples and or peoples personal recommendation, in some cases examples.

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Having a look at the Camera Lens Reference Diagram that has been stickied, is there any reason why you would not increase the lens greater than the 2.8 / 4 mm? In a shop situation I would have thought that a detailed view of around 5m would be ideal, perhaps using the 6 - 8mm lens ? What is the reason/ benefit for using the 2.8 / 4mm , wouldnt you see more of the shop but not in as much detail?

Thanks for the advice on the WDR, looked that up and it seems like a good idea.

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Have been looking around and would like some feedback on the following setup please,
NVR - DS-7608N-E2/8P
Cameras - DS-2CD2135F-IS
Was going to purchase from Ali Express - Network Camera
Any major concerns/problems ?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have been looking around and would like some feedback on the following setup please,
NVR - DS-7608N-E2/8P
Cameras - DS-2CD2135F-IS
Was going to purchase from Ali Express - Network Camera
Any major concerns/problems ?
Thanks
If you are not technically proficient and dont understand the issue with china region cameras, pay a but more and buy US region cameras, or your will be in for a world of hurt.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question...I have not googled the site, but what is a "U.S. region" camera? Would that be like made in the U.S.? I assumed the all came from China.
Where would I find them?
Thx

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are not technically proficient and dont understand the issue with china region cameras, pay a but more and buy US region cameras, or your will be in for a world of hurt.
Is that due to the firmware flashing complications ? If so, I am not planning on updating the firmware.

So if I was not planning on updating firmware, do you think the hardware selection I have made would be sufficient ?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a dumb question...I have not googled the site, but what is a "U.S. region" camera? Would that be like made in the U.S.? I assumed the all came from China.
Where would I find them?
Thx
little bit of info for you.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7187-FAQ-gt-Do-s-amp-Don-ts-gt-Flashing-Hikvision-Firmware?highlight=firmware

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that due to the firmware flashing complications ? If so, I am not planning on updating the firmware.

So if I was not planning on updating firmware, do you think the hardware selection I have made would be sufficient ?
Do you also plan on not updating the NVR? Do you plan on port forwarding the NVR to the internet? The NVR's seem to be easier to update but why deal with the hassle. Have you calculated your savings?

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you also plan on not updating the NVR? Do you plan on port forwarding the NVR to the internet? The NVR's seem to be easier to update but why deal with the hassle. Have you calculated your savings?
If everything works out of the box, then I'm not really interested in keeping it updated. Can you port forward this model without a firmware update (in case I want to)?

Re calculated savings? If you mean NVR v BI standalone, for me the NVR is cheaper to buy than having to buy standalone PC, POE switch and BI software. If this is not what you were referring to, then what are you referring to savings wise ?

Cheers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If everything works out of the box, then I'm not really interested in keeping it updated. Can you port forward this model without a firmware update (in case I want to)?

Re calculated savings? If you mean NVR v BI standalone, for me the NVR is cheaper to buy than having to buy standalone PC, POE switch and BI software. If this is not what you were referring to, then what are you referring to savings wise ?

Cheers.
You can always port forward, but do you want to without security updates? Have you figured out how you will isolate the NVR on your network if thats the case?
Or do you plan on using vpn?
I dont mean vs BI. I mean vs buying from a US supplier and US region..What is the total cost of your 8 cameras and NVR shipped?

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
$811 US delivered to Oz
8 cameras + NVR
Hey, if it is comparable to US price, I'll buy from US to keep the alliance strong ;)

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry maybe should have stated that.

So regardless of where I buy and the firmware issues etc. The camera / nvr selection I am looking at should be a better option than the over the counter Swan / Dlink retail options?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry maybe should have stated that.

So regardless of where I buy and the firmware issues etc. The camera / nvr selection I am looking at should be a better option than the over the counter Swan / Dlink retail options?
Not necessarily, in the US for example, costco carries rebranded hikvision as Swann and rebranded dahua as qsee/lorex. They offer a lifetime return policy and good warranty. Dont know what kind of offerings they have there. If you do buy from ali, buy from a reputable seller that others have used. Also, dont buy unless you know you can install and test the system immediately - not just power it up, but test it real world use. Otherwise, you will let it sit and by the time you install it and have issues you will have no recourse with ali should there be a problem.

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Nah, its pretty much going to be implemented as soon as I get it. The camera setup swann is selling atm is $1800 aud not installed for 8ch nvr and only 4 cameras. Pretty easy to decide whether to buy online or in-store even when factoring aftermarket warranty.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not necessarily, in the US for example, costco carries rebranded hikvision as Swann and rebranded dahua as qsee/lorex. They offer a lifetime return policy and good warranty.
Don't mean to bud in but I just bought a QSee setup from Sam's club...Their policy is only 90 day warranty \ return...Who is offering lifetime?

From Sam's site:
Exceptions:
Receipt or Proof of Purchase Required:
1. Televisions, laptop and desktop computers, projectors, digital music players, cameras, camcorders, and other electronics and unopened computer/video game software must be returned within 90 days of purchase with a receipt.

This is my fisrt sec camera \ system 3MP cameras...I was not all that impressed so far....but I have a lot of research to do now within my 90 days to decide if I should return and get something different.

Not necessarily, in the US for example, costco carries rebranded hikvision as Swann and rebranded dahua as qsee/lorex. .
So my QSee setup is actually a Dahua NVRE and cameras?
So does that mean in general the QSee stuff should be relatively decent?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't mean to bud in but I just bought a QSee setup from Sam's club...Their policy is only 90 day warranty \ return...Who is offering lifetime?

From Sam's site:
Exceptions:
Receipt or Proof of Purchase Required:
1. Televisions, laptop and desktop computers, projectors, digital music players, cameras, camcorders, and other electronics and unopened computer/video game software must be returned within 90 days of purchase with a receipt.

This is my fisrt sec camera \ system 3MP cameras...I was not all that impressed so far....but I have a lot of research to do now within my 90 days to decide if I should return and get something different.

So my QSee setup is actually a Dahua NVRE and cameras?
So does that mean in general the QSee stuff should be relatively decent?

Thanks
Dont know about sams, but costco has the same 90 day exclusion but it does not include security cameras. When they say cameras they mean photo cameras. I know users who have returned security cameras with no issues well after 90 days.
Depending on the model, yours is likely a dahua system.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fisheye lens cameras look like a good option in a retail environment. Although they would have the problem of not being able to see behind objects such as shelves. This video is quite impressive, and the 12mp is around $US600 from Aliexpress.