Camera suggestions for Apartment building hallways

Reaction score
Newbie here

I have read the cliff notes, wiki, @SouthernYankee's quick start, read 100s of posts, and I've searched. I couldn't find info on apartment public hallways. (And I'll keep going back to these great resources.)

Looking for public hallway camera suggestions of an apartment building. The hallways are lighted and existing cameras are ancient analog. Assuming I don't want a wide lens?

Thinking of getting a Dahua DVR, 16 or 32 channel, no POE. Buying from Andy. (But, he's on holiday this week.)

Will the IPCT and Hikvision cameras work on the Dahua DVR?

Camera suggestions?

Thank you

PS - I bought a $50 Reolink RLC-420 for learning, seems it doesn't work with SmartPSS, I tried all the ports. But, it does work with my Synology Surveillance station and Reolink app.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider a cam with an option in the built-in webGUI where you can go from "landscape" mode (width larger than height, 16:9 ratio) to a "portrait" or "corridor" mode (height larger than width, 9:16 ratio).

Vandal proof domes are usually suitable but they have their own issues, so I'd go with Dahua 2MP Starlight vari-focal turrets or the competing Hikvision Dark Fighter (or IPCT with Night Eye).

I'd stick with one manufacturer, either all Hikvision or all Dahua (or IPCT), NVR and cams.

You said "no POE". Is that a typo? POE is the best way to go, just get a POE NVR.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will you be running new wiring or keep your ancient wiring?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will the IPCT and Hikvision cameras work on the Dahua DVR?
Generally when the cameras aren't from the same manufacturer as the NVR basic capabilities (like recording video, motion detection, etc) will work. What doesn't usually work are any advanced features the cameras may have. In your case (Dahua NVR with Hik or IPCT <which are rebranded Hik> cameras), Hik's advanced motion detect (called Smart Events) and/or AI (if you get an AI model) will not work. Both of those features can be useful for reducing false motion events. If at all possible, I'd recommend matching the brand of the NVR with the cameras whenever possible.

All of that ^^^ was based on my experience with IP NVRs/cameras. If you're going to go with a non-IP solution, disregard that. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Share a screenshot of the current cameras video, and pictures of the cameras. That would tell us a lot.

You could probably save a lot of money by going with a hybrid system using HD-CVI or something. One of those technologies that runs a modern camera on old siamese coax/dc power cable.

Reaction score
Generally when the cameras aren't from the same manufacturer as the NVR basic capabilities (like recording video, motion detection, etc) will work. What doesn't usually work are any advanced features the cameras may have. In your case (Dahua NVR with Hik or IPCT <which are rebranded Hik> cameras), Hik's advanced motion detect (called Smart Events) and/or AI (if you get an AI model) will not work. Both of those features can be useful for reducing false motion events. If at all possible, I'd recommend matching the brand of the NVR with the cameras whenever possible.

All of that ^^^ was based on my experience with IP NVRs/cameras. If you're going to go with a non-IP solution, disregard that. :)
So, are the HIK cameras better because of those features? I assume the IPCT still have those advanced features.