Camera suggestions for good IR & close focus?

wekebu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm needing to replace on of my Foscam cameras and hoping to find a new camera with better clarity. I'm leaning towards a Hikvision, but there are too many models to choice from. Please help me narrow down the choices.

Requirements:
-Very good IR (rural living, very dark on moonless nights).
-Close focus 2'-15' would be wonderful (I record wild animals eating food in a covered open-sided RV shed).
-Wireless N, would settle for wireless G. (both current cameras use WiFi without problems, can't do a cable, doesn't pass the spouse test).
-Motion detection. I'm assuming this is standard these days?
-up to $200 range.
-I need a dome/edit: I need a bullet! (I've had a bear step on dome and it kept working).
-Blue Iris user.

Don't care: PTZ, Audio, Day recording, weather

I would really appreciate suggestions. My old camera was 3.6mm, was this the best for close focus?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision only has one wifi outdoor camera. Well there are a few versions of the camera. 1.3mp will be better at night than 3mp. Check out the first two http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/products.asp?cid=270490
You must order with the wifi designation (W) or it will not have wifi. Another option is using a powerline adapter and going with the 1.3mp dahua bullets that have VERY good nightvision. Or figure out how to run cable neatly or pay a pro to properly run cable.

wekebu

n3wb
Reaction score
federman, thank you. I mistakenly wrote dome, I'd like a bullet. I know little about powerline adapters, but will read up on them. Can they work on a different circuit than the house? If so, please tell me about the dahua bullet!

Also, thanks to your post, I have hubby giving in slightly to running a cable. We have to go across asphalt and he does NOT want to damage the asphalt. However, he suggested going up and over a tree. If we keep the distance under 325' we should be okay.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It will not work on a separate circuit. Another option is using a wifi bridge. A wifi bridge will receive the wireless signal from your router and send it to a wired device. Most routers have this function so you can find a good deal for about 20 or so. if all this has to be mounted outdoors you may want to go with some sort of mini router/bridge.
Here is a review if the mini bullet by dahua http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=882 there is a newer 2mp version here http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2331 which will be about 20-30 more than the 1.3mp. For your limited night vision use requirement I would just go with the 1.3mp.

wekebu

n3wb
Reaction score
My current two cameras work well on wifi, I have a second router set up between the main and the cameras. I don't see it listed, do the Dahuas have wireless?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
no the dahuas are not wireless. You need a wifi bridge if you want to use them. What cameras are you currently using?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IF you only want wifi and a bullet your options are limited. Either go with foscam again they have a 1mp outdoor wifi camera (which i dont recommend) or get a good quality camera like dahua/hikvision etc and use a wifi bridge. Understand that even though wifi was ok for a vga camera, once you bump up to MP you may start having issues, depending in the quality of your network.

wekebu

n3wb
Reaction score
Very good point. Working on getting Ethernet cable.