Camera to catch taggers at Park.

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Portland Oregon and lately my neighborhood has gone to crap. I live on a corner house and on the opposite side of the street is a park building that keeps getting tagged. The distance will be about 150 feet away and it would be cool to zoom in 500 feet or more.

I use blue iris and I'd like to have the camera hunt for faces and maybe read license plates? Not sure what you guys would recommend. I'm tech savy and power is available close by to the install location.

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua Black face PTZ.. probably going to want the 30x 2MP version

You can pick one task at night: Faces or Plates.. one camera cannot capture both.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Consider trail cameras, too. They could be of benefit. I have seen national law enforcement agencies use them in similar fashion.

Look for the 12MP solar powered unit. EBay has them for under 150.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the creepy factor alarm going off big time ! you want to look at a public park 500 feet away. Up here that would be illegal and most of us parents would think pedo right away. So my suggestion would be keep cameras on your own property which there does not seem to be an issue with the "kids" spray painting. I suggest we all consider what type of humans may be among us and a guy with "noname" and 7 posts looking for a long range camera into a kids park is pretty sketchy. Do you want a white van and some candy suggestions ? I mean really you may be truly just asking but, let the police watch the park.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a public, government owned park? I didn't catch that in the OP.

A camera on his own property can certainly look into places he could see otherwise. Each locale has its own regulations.

At least a trail cam is not actively recording. It senses motion, snaps a photo burst. Then when there is unwanted behavior, pop the memory card kut and have a look.

Ultimately, the responsible party for the park has the say. Even if you catch them on your own cameras, they may well tell you to pound sand or turn you in if that recording is not legal in your area.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the creepy factor alarm going off big time ! you want to look at a public park 500 feet away. Up here that would be illegal and most of us parents would think pedo right away. So my suggestion would be keep cameras on your own property which there does not seem to be an issue with the "kids" spray painting. I suggest we all consider what type of humans may be among us and a guy with "noname" and 7 posts looking for a long range camera into a kids park is pretty sketchy. Do you want a white van and some candy suggestions ? I mean really you may be truly just asking but, let the police watch the park.

He does live in Portland.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
lol why do you say he live in Portland cause that's what he wrote or that people in Portland are of course extra creepy ?

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Paranoid nutters like you are part of the problem. Where did he even mention "kids"? Give the guy some cred for trying to help in his community. Hell, I have a camera trained on the tennis wall in the park across the road from my place. Again, graffiti. I video them and get a time of offence and my neighbour goes and paints the wall.

I dunno about your neck of the woods, but here the police have... oh *everything* else to do rather than stake out a park looking for a vandal. My local city sure doesn't have the cash or resources to solve the problem, so we do it ourselves.

Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm married, and father of young two boys. I'm not a pedo and if the area didn't have such up uptick of property crime I wouldn't put the camera towards the park. As a community, we gotta start defending ourselves.

So this year, there have been tons of homeless people camping in the park, leaving trash behind. Needle drug users and taggers spraying gang affiliated symbols and someone even lit the basketball court on fire. Not sure how they managed that one.

So you tell me what I should do when there is literally crime happening 100 ft from my door step? Worry about being called a pedo?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You do with folks like Jack around. It's like shooting yourself in the leg though. Accuse innocents and keep them from helping when real scrutiny would deter actual pedophiles.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I dunno about your neck of the woods, but here the police have... oh *everything* else to do rather than stake out a park looking for a vandal...
I blame CSI...the cops seem to wanna to the glory work but not fuQ with the little stuff...so now everyone's driving 75MPH on the 55MPH expressway and everyone's used to breaking the law. It starts with the little stuff and pretty soon the big stuff gets worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

The broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm-setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior. The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments to prevent small crimes such as vandalism, public drinking, and toll-jumping helps to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My solution as a father of a young girl and that shit was happening 100ft from me is move. Don't measure the costs or the inconvenience just move or the boys won't know what living a real life is suppose to be.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry for your experience Jack. Just try not to see a pedophile behind every friendly person or camera because that means they've damaged you, too.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Read my example of say how some healthy paranoia would have saved a few hundred thousand lives. If that guy just thought hey its weird that these guys want to fly a commercial plane but don't want to learn to land? A paranoia person or perhaps common sense some might call it would have called authorities. What would you have done ? What does your mind tell you?

Edit: est. 4 million killed since war on terror from 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to argue against that example, isn't it? How about considering an innocent person's life being destroyed just because somebody else was paranoid? What, he didn't ignore a kid who looked miserable and alone? He was actually NICE to a kid who may have just been bullied? THAT PEDOPHILE! The loss of a community's trust and ability to care for itself, IMHO, causes more damage in the long term. There's nothing wrong with being vigilant, but accusing people of horrible things instantly based on almost no knowledge of the situation or the background behind what they think they're seeing? Unfortunately, measured, calm, and informed judgements are rare. Not only do knee-jerk reactions from idiots damage innocent lives, real alarming events can get lost in the noise from the idiots. You can only cry wolf so often before people ignore you.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read my example of say how some healthy paranoia would have saved a few hundred thousand lives...est. 4 million killed since war on terror from 911
Unsupported attributions posted without source references, which can be researched in fact checked, are bullshit. I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm simply saying that you've done a good lazy-ass job of making it look like bullshit by failing To document the source of this statement.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4 million killed? If you are speaking of jihad by the sword you need to research your numbers more. Muslims are being killed mostly... by muslims (they are not muslim enough, they know better, kill them).

At any rate, some level of paranoia is simply human nature. It is how we survive. It is even our sixth-sense, the spidey sense. Some have it, some don't.

Operate within the law. Pedophiles will be pedohiles. They don't need 20x PTZs. If that argument is made, then why have guns, why have panel vans, why have candy, why have....

Good for you looking to keep an eye on your community. Just know, you will come under scrutiny.