Camera troubleshooting - Night Mode/IR

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had HikVision in my house for about a year now and this is the first time I have had a issue. One of my cameras doesn't show a picture when its completely dark. During the day when there is light in the room, the picture is great.

This is the camera (also attached):
If I change the mode from Day to Night when there is light in the room the camera image looks different but still shows the picture. So I believe day/night modes are functioning.

I am thinking its the IR, but not sure how to troubleshoot further. Any help would be appreciated.

-B

Attachments

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When it's dark use a digital camera (i.e. your cell phone camera) and point it at the Hik camera. If the IR lights are working it will light up on your phone screen. This can be used for you TV remotes and whatever else that uses IR. I will also note, when testing with your phone, compare the "bad" camera with a good camera to make sure the IR strength (light intensity) is the same when viewing both as the IR on the bad camera may appear much dimmer (if working at all) than a good camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my cameras doesn't show a picture when its completely dark. During the day when there is light in the room, the picture is great.
If you can observe that the IR lights are active when in night mode, another possibility is that the 'IR-cut filter' is stuck in day mode.
This will make the camera blind to IR illumination.
When switching between day mode and night modes normally you would hear a noticeable 'click' from the camera as the filter moves.
If the camera is accessible, during the day hold your finger over the light sensor on the front and listen for the click.
Sometimes, if it is stuck, a small sharp tap on the side of the camera can release it.

Reaction score
If you can observe that the IR lights are active when in night mode, another possibility is that the 'IR-cut filter' is stuck in day mode.
This will make the camera blind to IR illumination.
When switching between day mode and night modes normally you would hear a noticeable 'click' from the camera as the filter moves.
If the camera is accessible, during the day hold your finger over the light sensor on the front and listen for the click.
Sometimes, if it is stuck, a small sharp tap on the side of the camera can release it.
When I hold the sensor the red lights come on and then go off after I let go. However, there is no click. What part of the camera needs a small smart tap?

Here is a video with sound -

Reaction score
On the side, maybe 2 sides at 90 degrees.
The filter flips across the lens / sensor when it operates.
But don't be rough with it ...
The camera is back to not working. I did a sharp hit a few times and it started working again. However it seems to keep getting stuck. Is the camera faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk